I have this sweet ass metal song I'm working on. I'm not sure how to describe it but I know in the chorus I want really epic vocals, kinda in the style of Protest the hero. Like near falsetto, high vocal splits using the lyrics, "rescue me from fires undying"( from the latin hymn Day of Wrath). How do you guys go about writing your sweet ass vocal harmonies? If someone out there has guitar pro like I do let me know your email and I can send you part of the song.

Much appreciated
Last edited by DiscoJomby at May 16, 2010,
Just attach the file to your post.

Well, normally whenever I try to come up with a harmony, I go off of the melody and come up with something that fits with the melody. I don't know what else to say. Generally harmonies are in thirds and fifths (and their inverted intervals, sixths and fourths).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Just attach the file to your post.

Well, normally whenever I try to come up with a harmony, I go off of the melody and come up with something that fits with the melody. I don't know what else to say. Generally harmonies are in thirds and fifths (and their inverted intervals, sixths and fourths).

Alright it's attached, but it's only one part of it, cause that's all i tabbed out so far, but it should be enough for now. It might sound a bit erratic, but that's the point. And I tried to write a harmony(not over that specific section) and it sounded very oriental :/
Attachments:
gpsong.gp5
And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth:
and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Revelations 9:3
bump

nobody?
It's quite easy to do. Write the notes out for the vocals, then add another track and use all those notes but (let's start with) a third higher.
Keep in mind, you can either do this by just moving all the notes up 4 frets, or you can stay diatonic and adjust the notes individually so they're in the key. That means some will only be a major second up, some a minor third, some a major third, but it will all be diatonic.
Then, you can add another track and move all the notes a perfect fifth up, adjusting accordingly.
Quote by tenfold
It's quite easy to do. Write the notes out for the vocals, then add another track and use all those notes but (let's start with) a third higher.
Keep in mind, you can either do this by just moving all the notes up 4 frets, or you can stay diatonic and adjust the notes individually so they're in the key. That means some will only be a major second up, some a minor third, some a major third, but it will all be diatonic.
Then, you can add another track and move all the notes a perfect fifth up, adjusting accordingly.

I applied what you said and some sounded good but some sounded chinese

This is the lead vocal part.

Q E Q. Q
E||------------------------|
B||--13-----L--9------9----|
G||------------------------|
D||------------------------|
A||------------------------|
D||------------------------|

Q E Q E E E
------------------------------|
--11----13--15----18--16--15--|

Q E Q Q E
----------------------------|
--13-----L--18----18----18--|

W
--------------------|-------------------||
--16----------------|-------------------||

Here's the harmony I put to it. It for the most part sounded in one way or another, in tune, but weird at the same time

Q E Q. Q
E||--------------------------|
B||--17-----L--13------13----|
G||--------------------------|
D||--------------------------|
A||--------------------------|
E||--------------------------|

Q E Q E E E
--15----17--20----23--21--18--|

Q E Q Q E
--17-----L--22----22----22--|

W
--20----------------|-------------------||
Quote by tenfold
Tabs are messed up, attach a gp5 with the new harmony you tried and I'll have a look.

Some of the harmonies really sound like wayward garbage in my opinion haha.
Attachments:
chorusharmony.gp5
Quote by tenfold
I'm assuming it's in C minor, although the harmony part you made uses major thirds.
Why?

I just moved the original notes up 4 frets and changed ones that sounded off to something that sounded remotely in tune. Honestly, I studied theory with guitar and trombone about a year and half ago when intervals were still fresh in my mind, but the concepts have since become stale. I just got back into it and I'm trying to get back into the groove. What is the major of c minor? Like how A Minor = C major. :/
Last edited by DiscoJomby at May 17, 2010,
Quote by DiscoJomby
I just moved the original notes up 4 frets and changed ones that sounded off to something that sounded remotely in tune. Honestly, I studied theory with guitar and trombone about a year and half ago when intervals were still fresh in my mind, but the concepts have since become stale. I just got back into it and I'm trying to get back into the groove. What is the major of c minor? Like how A Minor = C major. :/

Eb major I think. If you have any old theory books around that have anything about counterpoint or 4 part harmony in them then those would be a great start. But if you just want to know what harmonies would work well, go with 3rds,5ths,6ths,8ths,10ths. Try not to do consecutive octaves as it'll weaken the difference between the two lines, and try not to do diminished 5ths.
Inhuman evil take down!
Quote by tenfold
The relative major of C minor is Eb major.
BTW I'm changing this harmony a little, will post it soon.

Thanks much appreciated
Here is what I came up with... It may be what you want, maybe not. I don't know protest the hero that well but maybe you can build on it and change it to your liking.

There are 3 string tracks.
Track 1 is the root melody.
Track 2 is the fifth harmony.
Track 3 is the sixth harmony (using the major and minor sixes of the root melody to stay diatonic).
And track 4 is just the distorted rhythm guitar.
Attachments:
chorusharmony.gp5
Quote by tenfold
Here is what I came up with... It may be what you want, maybe not. I don't know protest the hero that well but maybe you can build on it and change it to your liking.

There are 3 string tracks.
Track 1 is the root melody.
Track 2 is the fifth harmony.
Track 3 is the sixth harmony (using the major and minor sixes of the root melody to stay diatonic).
And track 4 is just the distorted rhythm guitar.

That sounds better. Now I know an Eb major scale is Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb, So would the root be Eb and the fifth and sixth would be B and C? And what does diatonic mean again? lol
Quote by DiscoJomby
That sounds better. Now I know an Eb major scale is Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb, So would the root be Eb and the fifth and sixth would be B and C? And what does diatonic mean again? lol

Fifth in this case is Bb, sixth is C.

Diatonic means that it fits in the key you're using, equal to the key...
from what I've read above:
you're in the key of c minor, relative minor of Eb major, which means you have C D Eb F G Ab Bb in your (natural minor) scale. so, if you want to, say, put a harmonising note on a C, you'd use a third, fifth (or fourth or sixth), meaning you'd have C and Eb, or Cand F, or C and G, or C and Ab.

apply this to every note, and you know what will sound 'right'.
When western music imitates oriental music, they often use parallel fifths to achieve this sound. If your harmony sounds oriental, this is probably the problem. Parallel fifths are when you have 2 intervals of a fifth in a row. There's also a thing called "hidden fifths" which is when you both notes approach a perfect 5th from the same direction(similar motion). Both of these sound weak. Harmony is a really broad subject but generally sticking to diatonic 3rds or 6ths, and tweaking the intervals that sound wrong, works well.
Quote by DiscoJomby

The tab is C minor, not Eb major. They have the same notes but a completely different sound.
Diatonic basically means using only the notes from the key signature (Cm).

If you want to do any more of this stuff, I suggest learning theory a lot more.
The Crusade.