Hey everyone...I've got a couple of questions

I'm testing out a 16w tube amp in a 1x12 cabinet, with a WGS 12" 50W Reaper...I was going to buy the amp but can't afford it anymore....so...

I decided to see if I could make my Peavey VTM-60 tube amp match the sound of the 16w, which I've grown to really like. The speaker in the 16w was plugged by 1/4 inch cable, so I plugged it into the 8 ohm jack on my vtm-60. Now here is what I'm wondering:

To get the same sound and volume as the 16w, I plugged into the low gain input on my VTM. I have to run my VTM preamp gain at 9/10, and post gain at about 2.5/10. The amp has 4 preamp tubes and 2 post. Is this a safe thing to do or do I risk wearing out my preamp tubes?

Second question- Do I risk killing a 50-60w speaker in a 1x12 cab when coming from my VTM? I don't plan on using it past the volume which I've already gotten. I know that when using the high gain input on my VTM (with a 4x12) it's about 10 times as loud as this weird low gain/preamp at 9 set up.

Hopefully this is making some sense and someone can help me! Thanks
The extra wear on the tubes won't be substantial enough to shorten their life by much, a few hours, maybe a few days tops. And so long as you don;t crank the amp the speaker will be fine, though I'd suggest looking into a 2x12.

Out of curiosity, what 16w amp was it? And how do you like the VTM? I've looked into getting one, or a butcher. I've heard their a bit touchy and hard to dial in.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Awesome, thanks for the help. A 2x12 would great but I'm worried I might not get that same sound when recording...I'm thinking about ordering it from Avatar so it would have to be either or.

The 16w is made by a local guy here in B.C. It's a pretty amazing amp, but too much for me at $1450. His website is http://www.daviesaudio.com/16watt.html

The VTM is awesome! For the price I don't know of anything better. I bought mine for $250 a couple years ago...It's loud as hell and has great crunch/gain when pushing the pre and post past 5. The DIP switches and EQ seem pretty active. I know that there are a number of mods out there too...overall I'm really happy with it.
I bet you could get the guys at avatar to wire the speakers (on a 2x12) to have separate jacks. Then you could either use 1 speaker at lower volumes and plug the other in for louder stuff. IDK how well that would work but its something to consider.

The dip switches on the VTM seem like they would make up for the lack of versatility, just because its a single channel amp. And they're dirt cheap, which is always a plus.

B.C. as in british columbia?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Good point...actually that's what I was thinking too...but could I just disconnect one of the speakers if they were wired in parallel so only one would be functional? The cabinet will still sound different of course. This is the worst part about having to order stuff over the internet! Yep, BC as in British Columbia. Cheers dude,
No clue on the wiring, I'd ask somewhere else or email avatar about it. And yes it would sound a bit different but I think it would be worth it for the added versatility.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers