I read the section in the technique sticky about barre chords, could someone elaborate more on the position my thumb should be in and exactly how it supports my fingers when playing barre chords? The problem I'm having is that, while I am able to play barre chords decently, after playing for a short time (around 2 or 3 minutes) I start getting a ton of pain in my thumb. Help please? Thanks
Your thumb should be pushed against the back of the neck, the pain is just your thumb muscle acheing, dont worry it happens to everyone and your hand will get used to it.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
well you shouldn't be pushing hard, just enough to fret the notes with your other fingers.
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
na, i used to get that a lot and still do when playing on my old acoustic. Your thumb will just get stronger and it wont be a problem it will go away slowly.pparon my english im drunk
Ya, everyone pretty much got it, it's a lot like the pain in your finger tips when you first start playing, it hurts like crap but if you keep practicing you will get used to it until you don't even notice it anymore.
Quote by Skizye
I read the section in the technique sticky about barre chords, could someone elaborate more on the position my thumb should be in and exactly how it supports my fingers when playing barre chords? The problem I'm having is that, while I am able to play barre chords decently, after playing for a short time (around 2 or 3 minutes) I start getting a ton of pain in my thumb. Help please? Thanks

Well either it's the muscle- which would be an "ache" more than a "pain"- or (more likely) you are pushing your thumb hard into the back of the neck.

Your thumb should be there for support- but you're not "digging in" with it! It's more important that your fretting fingers stop the string right close to the fret- and that doesn't need a ton of pressure.

Remember: you're only pushing the string onto the fret, not the fretboard.