A----1-----2-----3-----4-----1----------------------
E--0----0-----0-----0-----0---------------------------

the zeroes are palm muted, and its pretty much that shape repeated through the whole song, insanely fast.

would i hit the bottom of the low e string, then top of the a string?
or top of low e string, and bottom of the a string?

or if you can't explain it, could you give me a video?
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Uh.. fix the tab. use brackets.

Edit: Depends how fast it is. If it's too fast to downpick even if you practiced for it, then alternate (outside) pick it.

[QUOTE]would i hit the bottom of the low e string, then top of the a string?[/QUOTE]
This is outside picking. If you have to, you'd use this.
Last edited by tenfold at May 16, 2010,
Quote by tenfold
Uh.. fix the tab. use brackets.

Edit: Depends how fast it is. If it's too fast to downpick even if you practiced for it, then alternate (outside) pick it.

This is outside picking. If you have to, you'd use this.

i did fix it.

and outside picking?
explain?

edit:

yeah i was talking about alternate picking, but i was wondering if there was a faster way. because no matter what i do, my mind just cant do it.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Last edited by natehimself at May 16, 2010,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
How fast is it?

EDIT: checked the tab again its 220 bpm

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Last edited by natehimself at May 16, 2010,
Can you just tell us the song? Seeing/hearing it in context may make it easier.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at May 16, 2010,
Quote by Scopic
Can you just tell us the song? Seeing it in context may make it easier.

Or is it not a popular artist..?

it's a tab my friend wrote, that he wants me to learn. you won't find it on any site..

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
I'd personally outside pick it, that means that you'd go: down, up, down, up, down, up....
You could also try inside picking it which would be: up, down, up, down....
Either way, alternate picking is the way to go.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Down - up picking.
Pick from the wrist, no arm movement.
Start at a bpm you're comfortable with and slowly increase it once you've mastered it.
Make sure you're relaxed when picking, if you can " feel it burn" slow down the bpm.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at May 16, 2010,
Quote by Jailbreaker
low e, up a...Practice master of puppets.... DDD

The MoP intro is all down picking.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
The point of technique is making things easier

True. But the way he re-tabbed it, it wouldn't sound the same played on one string.
I understand making things easier, but changing the lick because you can't play it is basically cheating. But changing it because you want the other sound is fine to me.
There's a poop load of ways you could do this OP.
+ means down picking, = means up picking.

1:
= = = = =
+ + + + +

2:

+ + + + +
= = = = =

Or be a down picking champ just do it the way James Hetfeild would
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by MaXiMuse
Why don`t you play it like

E|-0-6-0-7-0-8-0-9-0-6-|

If you can`t play it the other way?

This would be a pain in the a** to palm mute..
I would do inside picking, except the first pick would be down, so it would look like:

DDUDUDUDUDUDU....
Quote by bj_squeelie
This would be a pain in the a** to palm mute..

No it wouldn't... Not at all.
Quote by Aleksi
No it wouldn't... Not at all.

Only the open string would be palm muted, the higher notes aren't supposed to be. So yes, it would be a pain to try and palm mute those notes and only those notes when played like that.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Only the open string would be palm muted, the higher notes aren't supposed to be. So yes, it would be a pain to try and palm mute those notes and only those notes when played like that.

I know that and it wouldn't be a pain at all, I play things like that on a regular basis. Even if you finger it the same way the OP had it I would still relax the mute every time I went to play one of the unmuted notes on the A string.
Quote by Aleksi
I know that and it wouldn't be a pain at all, I play things like that on a regular basis. Even if you finger it the same way the OP had it I would still relax the mute every time I went to play one of the unmuted notes on the A string.

I've no doubt you can play it like that. I can play it like that quite comfortabley too. It doesn't change that it's quite alot easier to use two strings, and keep the palm touching the low E throughout. The threadstarter should be able to do that first.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I'd outside pick it - ie. downstrokes for the E string, upstrokes for everything on the A string. It will sound better that way too - as you get a bit of an extra "pop" on the A string from the upstroke.

If the 220 bpm you are talking about is in 1/8th notes (I sure hope it is - 16th's would be extremely scary for a picking pattern like this), then it is doable, but will require some practice. Work on making your pick movements as precise as possible.

For riffs like this, sometimes I'll invent a "training wheels" riff that is based on the real riff to help get it down. For something like this, I might play 4 open E's, followed by the first 4 notes of the riff, followed by 4 open E's, followed by the 2nd 4 notes, and so on. The easier bit on the open E helps establish a nice picking motion/rhythm which carries into the hard part where you are crossing strings. Once you get comfortable, you remove the training wheels and go back to the original riff. Give it a try - it helps.
I'd play it with downpicking only, but 220 bpm is a bit too fast. I think I could do it after a few hours of practice though.