Hey fellow UGers,

It's that time of the year again..Thats right, my B-Day is coming up next month. Last 3 years i've gotten guitars. This year I get a Tube Head

I need some suggestions on which head to look for.
Want to spend around $500-550.
I play more Melo-Deathy Seven string, Drop A-Drop B stuff.
New/Used whichever works.

I've heard Bugera would fit all of that. or a used 5150.

What you guys think? I've got about 3 weeks to make a final decision
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
Yeah bugera, 333xl probably, or wait a few months for the new TRIREC to come out. Wait until summer NAMM, see what new stuff comes out. But yeah 333xl ftw.
When is summer NAMM? My birthday's June 30, and id like to have it ordered by then, can't do much band stuff with a spider II :P

SO the 333xl over their other models?
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
Valveking. GEt an OD for it, or a MXR Fullbore Metal(a distortion pedal? IN A TUBE AMP?!? Yes.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
A 333 or 6262 would be perfect for new in your price range. I got my 2X12 6262 combo for $500 new.

A used 5150 would be a good choice also...
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I run a 6505 through a randall xl 4x12 and get imo the best tone out of any local band i have encountered. I play in drop g# on an Ibanez 7-string. My band plays alot of periphery kind of stuff and honestly, the 6505 will do anything you want it to do (for that genre)
However, I'm told the Bugera 6262 is practically the same but on a budget, so definitely look into those.
Would you guys recommend the 6262 or the 333xl more? Why/why not?
I hear the 6262 is supposed to sound alot like the 5150

BTW, I already have a 4x12 Marshall cab..just sayinggg
Quote by t heff
Quote by NosralTserrof
Valveking. GEt an OD for it, or a MXR Fullbore Metal(a distortion pedal? IN A TUBE AMP?!? Yes.

Valvekings are alright amps, but sheesh! Do you realize that other amplifiers exist at all? Because a Valveking is one of the last high gain tube amps I'd recommend for drop tunings and the use of a seven string guitar.

TS, do you have a cab already, and if so which cab do you own? I'd advise you to get a combo if possible, but if not, then look into a used 5150 head or a Bugera 6262, which is much better than the 333XL for the type of stuff you'll be playing. At least as far as I can tell. Speaking of which, could you give us a more specific idea of the bands you'd like to sound similar to?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
peavey vypyr tube 120H
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
@ibz: Yes, I already have a Marshall 4x12 Slant cab.
I listen to/want to have tonal characteristics of bands like:
Sylosis, Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, Whitechapel, Codeon, The Absence, Dream Theatre, Trivium, Periphery, Threat Signal, Disarmonia Mundi, etc.
Quote by t heff
I have a simple solution for you that will work fine, and a more complicated solution that will work better.

Simply: Buy a Bugera 6262/333XL head, since those are really the only options in your price range worth considering. This will sound good, especially with a tube change a little later on. It also might be possible to buy a Peavey 5150 head used for that price, but the price of these has gone up in used markets and it will be difficult to find one.

More Practical/Better Sounding: Sell your Marshall Cab and buy a combo. Depending on which model it is, you could get anywhere from $200 to about $700 or more for most production Marshall cabs. Let's say you have a 1960A, which is what I'm fairly certain you've got. You'll get about $500 used for this cab, provided it's in good condition. With the $500 for the cab and the $500 in your budget, buy a used Line 6 Vetta combo or one of several other metal-suited combos that I'm not all too familiar with, like a used Engl of some sort.

EDIT: The Vetta isn't tube, but it's way better than many tube amps, and a great amp to boot, despite being SS. Also look into the Randall RM/RT series.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at May 17, 2010,
I wouldn't recommend the Bugera 333. I had one and I found the distortion to be more fuzzy than heavy. Seemed like the amp lost its balls on the lead channel. I've heard the 333xl is better though.

IMO, you'd be best going with either a Bugera 6260/2 or a used Peavey XXX or 5150.
Defender of the Llama
Thanks IBZ i'll consider what you said =]

May I ask which would be better the 6262 or the 6260? Anyone have input?
Quote by t heff
The 6262 and 6260 are extremely similar. Basically, the 6260 is a stripped down metal machine. The 6262 has a few more bells and such. I throughly enjoy my 6262.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
6262/6260.. 333xl.. randall rg50tc i think is just over 500... any new or used b-52 tube amp

or if you're lucky, used 5150/6505
Peavey Ultra.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.