Page 1 of 2
I've been toying with possible grounds for attractiveness (including but not limited to physical attraction) and it's really quite fascinating what traits add up to an attractive and interesting person.

For instance, I don't consider myself good looking at all. I'd say I'm on the lower side of average, and yet I've somehow managed to attract three girls in my R&B band this year, among others (I suppose it could be my charm, my sense of humour, or maybe I'm better looking than I think.) I also find myself rather popular within our (quite large) music department, and I've been told I'm incredibly funny, clean-cut, talented, and good looking (the latter I still instinctively doubt.) Essentially, what I've deduced is that a person's self-image is incredibly skewed.

And on the other end of the spectrum, many of my guy friends agree that we don't find certain "objectively attractive" girls attractive at all. If a girl looks good, but has a horrible personality (as in holier-than-thou, ego-crushing, etc.) I actually find that she is not only less attractive, but less good-looking in my eyes.

Another odd thing I find happening is how progressive someone can be in terms of attractiveness in another persons mind. I've had friends who thought nothing of certain girls, even considered them plain-looking and unattractive, but upon getting to know the girls better, become more and more attracted to them. (We've all experienced a sudden piqued interest when we find out a certain someone is into us when we never thought much of them before.)

So what does the Pit think contributes to someone's attractiveness? Is it possible that you can become completely attracted to someone that you wouldn't even consider dating before getting to know them, based on traits other than physical appearance? Does it have direct consequences on how good-looking you consider them?

TL;DR
: What makes a person attractive, and how objective is it really?
Last edited by xaviergray at May 16, 2010,
physical "normalness". Having strange or unusual features usually makes someone less physically attractive. The most "beautiful" people in the world are often those who have the most "average" possible features.
I think it really is all just a matter of personal preference. Different people like different features in someone both in personality and looks.
Check out my fitness blog here
Alpha-male behaviour makes men attractive. Confidence, leadership, humour, e.t.c.

What makes women attractive isn't exactly a difficult question...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Pffft i dont care, all I know is I'm gorgeous.

Ot: I think that personality is as important than looks, I think my girlfriend is beautiful, but I love her for who she is, not just how she looks.

If a person is a complete cow then I dont care how hot they are, I wont find them attractive.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
it's not about looks as much as it is about the depiction of personality through the way you move, and the gestures and expressions you make.

A single picture might tell you someone is good-looking, but that does not make them attractive unless the whole package is right.

Voice, smell, posture, sense of humor all play into attractiveness.

I've seen tons of girls who look great on photos, but you meet them and they're as bland as a piece of white paper, and I've met girls who don't really look good on photos, but once you meet them they're like sapphires gleaming in the light.

(okay, who just replaced my dick with a vagina?)
Like someone already said, attractiveness is based on personal preference and attitude.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

The less someone looks and acts like me, the more attractive they are.

Especoally wimminz.
I'm completely convinced that all human beings strive for symmetry. Physically, non-symmetric faces are unattractive. If one eye is MUCH bigger than the other... its a turn off. If one breast is larger than the other... its weird AND unattractive.

Personalities... you are looking for a sense of humor that matches up to yours... two people with two equal senses of humor. It's a symmetry. You are looking for a left-right compliment.

Symmetry is beautiful. Ask any physicist.
Quote by CoreysMonster
it's not about looks as much as it is about the depiction of personality through the way you move, and the gestures and expressions you make.

A single picture might tell you someone is good-looking, but that does not make them attractive unless the whole package is right.

Voice, smell, posture, sense of humor all play into attractiveness.

I've seen tons of girls who look great on photos, but you meet them and they're as bland as a piece of white paper, and I've met girls who don't really look good on photos, but once you meet them they're like sapphires gleaming in the light.

(okay, who just replaced my dick with a vagina?)

This is what I find really interesting. Some of the most attractive people I know (generally the ones I fall for) tend to be the most unphotogenic. And vice-versa, too; the whole myspace phenomenon of people who aren't as physically attractive in real life as they portray themselves to be in their pictures.
I think you've thought about this wayyyy too much.

If a chick is hot, the only way is up. If she's not, have a few beers and see where it goes from there.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
I have no idea, but as cheesy at this may seem; I think the eyes are the most attractive thing on a person. Think about it; even a ****ing busty brazzers girl'd look ugly if she had bad eyes.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm completely convinced that all human beings strive for symmetry. Physically, non-symmetric faces are unattractive. If one eye is MUCH bigger than the other... its a turn off. If one breast is larger than the other... its weird AND unattractive.

the problem with symmetry is that nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical. It's the reason why people rarely see themselves as attractive in pictures. They're used to seeing a slightly different face in the mirror. Perfect symmetry looks really strange.

see? creepy as hell amirite?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 16, 2010,
Quote by ZanasCross

We're the happy accident of asymmetry.
Attractiveness is weird.

I don't take pictures well at all. People are often surprised at what I look like in person compared to pictures.

I think they way people move honestly plays a big part in how attractive they are.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by ZanasCross

Personalities... you are looking for a sense of humor that matches up to yours... two people with two equal senses of humor. It's a symmetry. You are looking for a left-right compliment.

have you ever seen a photoshop of a perfectly symmetrical face? it is EXTREMELY odd and not very attractive. and as far as I know, ALL women have uneven-sized breasts to some degree. IMO, extremes are unattractive, but that's the same for any kind of optical appearance; freakishly long arms are weird, super-large noses or mouths are unattractive, huge dicks are--- well, except for that.
Quote by concho_valen
personality.

and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this is bullshit.

If you are not physically attracted to someone then personality means jackshit. Obviously your personality plays a large role in the way you present yourself, and obviously affects your outer appearance, but it's not what makes you attractive.
Quote by CoreysMonster
have you ever seen a photoshop of a perfectly symmetrical face? it is EXTREMELY odd and not very attractive. and as far as I know, ALL women have uneven-sized breasts to some degree. IMO, extremes are unattractive, but that's the same for any kind of optical appearance; freakishly long arms are weird, super-large noses or mouths are unattractive, huge dicks are--- well, except for that.

I think even an oversized penis would appear unattractive.
Quote by CoreysMonster

If you are not physically attracted to someone then personality means jackshit. Obviously your personality plays a large role in the way you present yourself, and obviously affects your outer appearance, but it's not what makes you attractive.

Yeah it does. Personality is like 99% of attraction. You can't attract someone on looks alone unless you're trying to attract teenage girls.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Yeah it does. Personality is like 99% of attraction. You can't attract someone on looks alone unless you're trying to attract teenage girls.

This.

EDIT: Holy shit; I'm not used to seeing Kensai with an elmo avatar
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by CoreysMonster

Exactly.

Personality can enhance attraction but you need steady foundations to build on.

Sexy foundations, even.

Quote by Rancid Ivy
EDIT: Holy shit; I'm not used to Kensai's new avatar

New?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
the problem with symmetry is that nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical. It's the reason why people rarely see themselves as attractive in pictures. They're used to seeing a slightly different face in the mirror. Perfect symmetry looks really strange

If you ever look at someone else in the mirror you'll notice this too. It'll bring out features you didn't notice before because your brain get used to their appearance before it's flipped.

For example, nobody notices my crossbite but me because I'm used to seeing my face in the mirror where it seems symmetrical, but it's skewed twice as much as it really is when I see it in photographs.
Last edited by xaviergray at May 16, 2010,
Quote by Kensai

oh, I meant it's not ONLY that which makes you attractive.
obviously it plays a part, of course, but it's not "only what's on the inside that counts"
Quote by Kensai

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say 50/50 or even 60/40 sounds right.
I'd imagine it has something to do with the person seeing something in the other person that is inherent in themselves, whether they know it or not. But there still needs to be an added sense of allure and mystery, journeying into the unknown, which is a result of the two personalities not completely resembling each other.

Also if the person makes you happy, whether it be through kindness, humor especially, etc., you may be attracted to them.
Quote by CoreysMonster
have you ever seen a photoshop of a perfectly symmetrical face?

Ok... very near symmetry. The only reason you say it looks odd is because it IS fake. You're brain knows it can't exist. However, science has shown over and over that people prefer as near to perfect symmetry as is possible within genetic ****ups.
Unless you were being sarcastic, you sound a lot like a bit up your own arse TS, meh doesn't bother me.

It's usually a mixture of looks and awesome personality, but the personality is usually the deciding factor for me liking someone.

I prefer girls who don't care so much what people think, and don't talk about crap constantly, such as clothes, hair, the usual stuff. For example, the other night I was at a friends birthday meal, and I was sat in the pit of mindless shite talking girls, and I was really pissed off and I felt guilty for my poor ears having to listen this rubbish!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Dirge Humani
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say 50/50 or even 60/40 sounds right.

There's much more to it than personality and looks, but I wouldn't place more than a very small amount of importance on looks. If you genuinely like the person's personality, you won't be like "Well, you're one of the most amazing persons I've ever met, but that nose, na, it's a little wide."

Its called compensation and compromise, and you're mind does it subconsciously.
Quote by ZanasCross
Ok... very near symmetry. The only reason you say it looks odd is because it IS fake. You're brain knows it can't exist. However, science has shown over and over that people prefer as near to perfect symmetry as is possible within genetic ****ups.

yeah, that's what I meant. we're used to a certain level of symmetric...ality? anyways, I also said that any kind of extreme is usually seen as unattractive. same goes for the symmetric...cy?
Quote by CoreysMonster

physical attraction is only part of attraction on the whole. mental attraction is the biggest factor in attraction and is why people feel 'love'.

women are attracted to men because of attributes like strength, in all areas...physical, personality, mind.

men are first physically attracted, but mental attraction can play a big part as it does with women.

The point is, you could be a below average looking guy and get very hot women, but a below average looking women usually can't do the same.
The thing about a skewed sense of self is so true for my girlfriend and me. She seems to be of the opinion that I'm attractive and confident and all that jazz. She doesn't get why I like her at all.
Page 1 of 2