While thinking about how to improve my tone I thought maybe that tone inside your head is always one step ahead of you. No matter what you do. Is your search for that great tone never ending? So the question would be, have you found your perfect "in your head" tone, and how'd you do it?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Nope. I think thats why we're all addicted to gear. There is no such thing as perfect tone, and chasing it will always prove elusive. I just dropped $2k on a Mark V in my quest ; )
It is kind of like the trying to discover zen. Once we find out where we come from, there will be an infinite number of new questions and hypotheses that appear.

Same thing with tone. Once a great one is found, others will appear that are different but great nonetheless.
Almost. It turns out I've been circling the mark for a while though. My telecaster pretty much got me there, but I want just a little more meat on the sound. It's great for more articulate things though. But a good 335 or Les Paul ought to seal the deal.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
No. Need a working EQ pedal and moar mods. So close, yet so far.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've had it since 2006, I just sort of found it on accident. I can even pinpoint when I felt I had hit upon that sound (story alert)....

Back in 2006 I had my wisdom teeth removed, and was prescribed Ibprofen and Vicodin. The day after the extraction, I pretty much slept in a Vicodin haze till I could not anymore, got up still hazy on vicodin, and plugged in my Fender Jaguar to my V-Amp Pro, set the knobs some wonky way (how I use them now), and started recording. When I was done, and came back to listen about 3 days later when the pain was gone, I found the sound I'd had in my head all these years recorded down on those songs. That is the sound I use these days on Youtube and for most of my demo recordings.

Ah, the joyous days of being technically unemployed and not required to be anywhere for weeks at a time.

I backed it up to a sysex file and wrote the settings down somewhere. The sound I'd been trying for since I started playing guitar was a cross between EVH's Plexi but with a Fender-like top end (Brit Hi-Gain + Standard 78' Cab), and a hair more gain, with a mild jet-like stereo chorus over the top to give it a bit of a 3-D effect and some sustaining but light reverb (ultra room), and some just barely audiable Delay to keep the 3-D effect on the sound.

Eventually I found an amp that could nail that sound with much higher fidelity by the virtue of tubes - the Bugera 333XL, and paired it up with an EHX Stereo PolyChorus to get the same sound out of that amp (though it's a lot cleaner and far more dynamic than the V-amp is).
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at May 16, 2010,
Plato's Ideal World of Forms comes to mind when discussing guitar tone. Everyone has an ideal, perfect idea of what the perfect tone is, but what we attempt to create in the Material World is simply haphazard and unsatisfying duplicates of it.

Stepping away from Philosophical Discussion though, I find that somewhat lowering your standards (to a mild degree) can be effective in helping you find a bounty of tones that're usable. Many people could spend thousands of dollars and countless hours trying to duplicate the tone created on any number of recording by aspired artists. It's too hard to do.

Anyways, I find that I just play with different settings, and when I hear something that sounds interesting, I improv with it. For example, I'll use a high gain setting with lots of low frequency to produce a rhythmic metal sound, or I'll use a clean chorus drive sound and make some interesting sounds out of that.

Not quite sure where I'm going with this :P But I simply try and go at my knobs with the 'I wonder what this setting will sound like' ideology, rather than 'Lets try and make this sound' ideology, and I've always found a bounty of usable and satisfying tones at my disposal.

Just my 2 cents (actually looks more like a buck and a half based on how much I ended up writing xD)
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at May 16, 2010,
No, and I probably never will find the perfect tone.

I am going to find the closest thing to it, and then settle there.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I have, I just need Mr Gilmour to give it to me!

In all honestly I've still got a lot to improve but I'm working on it.
Last edited by aaronni at May 16, 2010,
i've gotten close as well, for i love a very defined bright metal tone, like that of a 6505, but i've simply had some problems acquiring this along with the versatility i would like

so i'm hoping that as long as they work out well, a James Tyler variax, into an Axe fx ultra with a full range pa system should do the trick
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83

Eventually I found an amp that could nail that sound with much higher fidelity by the virtue of tubes - the Bugera 333XL, and paired it up with an EHX Stereo PolyChorus to get the same sound out of that amp (though it's a lot cleaner and far more dynamic than the V-amp is).

Care to share your settings? I'm curious to give at least the amp settings a whirl.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i've got my perfect clean tone and possibly heavy guitar tone. Distorted lead and rock rhythm are a different story though.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
I have gotten so so close, I just need slightly more presence and without sacrificing my lead sound. This tends to be an issue with me, balancing my presence knob. Hopefully it will be solved with a simple pickup change in a month or so, but well see.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by aaronni
I have, I just need Mr Gilmour to give it to me!

In all honestly I've still got a lot to improve but I'm working on it.

+1

I'm working on it. Getting close. Just need to tweak it here & there.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I have, but it always slips away just as quickly as it came.
Normal is what people are until you get to know them
i pretty much got the main tone i want out of my traynor ycv, even though it's not a 2k amp, it's still the perfect clean and overdrive for me... i do like some nuances at time, hence the quantity of amps and guitars i've got, but i really think i like the ycv better than my fender twin
tone changes upon expectation, when you know what you specifically you want to expect and can achieve it then you progress, whereas in the early days you just chugged along aimlessly with your tone. tone is a quest, and you can never become satisfied, but you can achieve goals
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yes.
But the question is
can you get your perfect tone recorded? Then it's a no.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Hear comes the flames....

I like the tone from my 6262 and HZ's :O
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by gumbilicious
tone changes upon expectation, when you know what you specifically you want to expect and can achieve it then you progress, whereas in the early days you just chugged along aimlessly with your tone. tone is a quest, and you can never become satisfied, but you can achieve goals

+1

That was pretty deep.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
When I got my 6505, I set the head right beside me with the cab across the room and played with every combination of settings and pups, using only a compressor in front and a delay in the loop, got it pretty damn sweet for rhythm and lead.

For cleans I just plug my tele into the fender vibrolux and that's about as good as you get.
Quote by truespin
Care to share your settings? I'm curious to give at least the amp settings a whirl.

Here they are in excruciating detail

Oh yeah, and an added note, I have the XL switch ON on the lead channel, and the XL switch off on the crunch channel. I use the Lead Channel as a boosted gain channel for single coil guitars (ie Mustangs, vintage Jags, Jazzmasters, etc...), and I use the other channel for humbuckers and hotter wound singles, plus lower gain rock sounds. I use my FX loop as a boost, and there's nothing in it, I just have the two knobs set just a little above halfway, maybe slightly more depending upon the acoustics of the venue I'm playing at and what band I'm with (and who the soundman is).

As far as the "ultimate" guitar tone goes, there is and is not one, it's a subjective thing, and opinion.
My Current Mains
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at May 17, 2010,
^holy crap, that is in detail.

I used to use a lot of effects and multi effects but I just got tired of all the possibilities and possible combinations and was spending more time playing with dials than my guitar so now I hardly use anything, just have a delay and a few EQ/compressor/noisegate pedals. Makes things so much simpler and the tone...for me better. Depends what you like though.
Fender Jaguar Special > EHX Big Muff w/ Solid Gold Triangle Mod > Space Echo > Hall setting on Digiverb > Blues Deluxe with high presence and a fair amount of mids is precisely the sound I've been trying to achieve for the past little while.
The Solid Gold modified Muff sounds heavenly. A wobbly Space Echo chorus and a little bit of reverb make for the loud & fuzzy but but dreamy tone that I need. It certainly isnt everyone's ideal tone, but it works for me.
Quote by Tempoe
^holy crap, that is in detail.

I used to use a lot of effects and multi effects but I just got tired of all the possibilities and possible combinations and was spending more time playing with dials than my guitar so now I hardly use anything, just have a delay and a few EQ/compressor/noisegate pedals. Makes things so much simpler and the tone...for me better. Depends what you like though.

The cool part is there is one cable on the board I can use as my "escape plan" should the board malfunction, all I have to do is yank that ONE cord, and I'm running straight into the 333XL with no effects in the chain at all. When I started playing guitar, it was a LONG time before I ever got any really cool effects, and I had to learn to do everything with my hands and my guitar, and I keep that in practice by not using as many effects in some situations. I've limped through gigs with malfunctioning gear - once all I had left working was half of my Bugera, and my Fender Jaguar with a kinked D string.
My Current Mains