I'm learning This song for a music show in my school and I'm wondering what the best way to achieve this sound with a Fender DSP65 and a Ibanez Grg170DX?
Last edited by PapaKooLay at May 16, 2010,
ibanez, paul gilbert is all about mids and volume control, so push some mids on the amp, and roll back on the volume and tone untill you get the right feel
cheers
Use the same guitar, same amp, same cable, same pedals, same strings, same picks, same fingers, same pickups, same bridge, same pots, same nut, same frets and same amp setting and you'll sound exactly like it.

-_-

/thread
Haha ^ Of course I did not mean that. Aswell, I put "I'm wondering what the best way to achieve this sound with a Fender DSP65 and a Ibanez Grg170DX?" Not what the best way to achieve this sound, period.

Thank you Glpchase, I was putting my teble and bass up and lowering my mid, Thanks for the info.
You want find a really clear, smooth distortion. Is that a modeling amp? A vintage/classic setting might fit it well.
Quote by PapaKooLay
Haha ^ Of course I did not mean that. Aswell, I put "I'm wondering what the best way to achieve this sound with a Fender DSP65 and a Ibanez Grg170DX?" Not what the best way to achieve this sound, period.

Thank you Glpchase, I was putting my teble and bass up and lowering my mid, Thanks for the info.

Make sure you use a thinner pick, angle it a fair bit and try to replicate his vibrato, the attack on Paul's playing is heavily reliant on his picks and picking.

Also a fair bit of treble will help but don't overdo it, Paul has a fair bit of presence in his tone but I doubt your amp has a presence control.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Your right =( I'm thinking of funding abit more, trading my Fender in and getting a small tube amp.

Also, bridge pick-up i assume?
Quote by PapaKooLay
^ Your right =( I'm thinking of funding abit more, trading my Fender in and getting a small tube amp.

Also, bridge pick-up i assume?

Possibly. He uses noiseless single-coils on an Ibanez Fireman. You'll want a crisp, thin kind of sound.