is it possible to change the type of power tube in an amp? i have an Epi Valve Jr. Half stack and i want a more metal sound, its ab bit too warm and boutique. the 12ax7 preamp is fine but i want to change out the el34 to something like an el84 or 6L6
and if it is possible, how do you do it?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
You'd have to rebuild the whole amp, it would not be worth the cost.

The VJ just is not a metal amp, and can't really be turned into one. Save up for a new amp.

PS it's already got an EL84 in it, not a 34.
oh, huh i thought it was an El34 for some reason. so there's no possible way other than rebuilding it? No converter thingy?
sorry, i just need somethin to do haha
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
you can, but it'll have such a low plate voltage, it would be biased somewhere awkward, and it'll possibly blow up the OT.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
it is doable but youre talking literally rebuilding 90% of the amp.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by Dr.Tong
is it possible to change the type of power tube in an amp? i have an Epi Valve Jr. Half stack and i want a more metal sound, its ab bit too warm and boutique. the 12ax7 preamp is fine but i want to change out the el34 to something like an el84 or 6L6
and if it is possible, how do you do it?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
People do plenty of mods to the epis. But you're gonna need to know what your doing. Going to a 6V6 isnt that huge of a deal but 6L6/EL34 does require replacing enough parts that it ends up being more economical to just build or buy another amp.
Get a distortion/gain pedal that can also be used as a boost.
No tube in the world will turn a VJ into a metal amp. Forget about modding either... you're basically asking whether you can turn a freight train into an aeroplane.

Look into distortion pedals, the VJ gets along with those nicely. EHX Metal Muff and Digitech Hardwire TL-2 are affordable and sound nice.
Well he can also try swapping the speakers at the very least, maybe to a different brand or bigger sized one if a slight mod is possible.