Poll: Refer to the OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: Refer to the OP.
I improvise runs.
19 41%
I learn every note in the run.
27 59%
Voters: 46.
If you're trying to learn a solo that has a run down a specific scale do you learn every note like how it's played in the song or do you just do an improvised run down that scale? for example, with a lot of Metallica solos Kirk Hammett will play a lick a few times then do a run down the pentatonic scale. I'll play the lick like how it is in the song but then I'll play an improvised run down the pentatonic scale. Is this what you do? Or should I be playing every note properly?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
It really depends on what you want to do. Personally, I like to play solos note for note.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Depends. If I really really like a solo, I will learn it. If I just learn the riff and want to jam along, then I'll just improvise at the solo.
Angus = god
I don't learn solos. Solos learn me.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
I don't learn solos. Solos learn me.

Does that mean that you're Mother Russia?
I honestly like putting my own spin on solos, so typically I learn the general "structure" of a solo but fill in a lot of my own stuff. Or maybe I'm just lazy.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by InfiniteRain
I honestly like putting my own spin on solos, so typically I learn the general "structure" of a solo but fill in a lot of my own stuff. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

unless i really like a solo, this is what i do.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I don't see a point in learning solos, except for maybe learning a few cool licks that might be reusable, but for the most part I think learning a solo stunts creativity as a lead/soloing guitar player (also note that most famous guitar players don't play all solos in a cover song note for note either).
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by L2112Lif
Does that mean that you're Mother Russia?

Mixed with a little bit of Courage Wolf, yes.

But seriously, I'm not good enough to copy exact runs of shred-y parts or stuff that sounds improvised, but I do like to keep as close to the solo as I can manage. And I cheat a lot (ie, change positioning, tap instead of hammer on, bend instead of slide, and so on and so forth)
Some parts note for note, others improvised because I'm too lazy. I think it's good to improvise but keep it recognizable. If I was Vai I would improvise all my live stuff instead of playing note for note 20 yrs and a 1000 times later. It must bore him to death to play For the Love of God.
I think it's good to learn a solo note for note simply because it adds licks to the arsenal, if they do a run down a scale it might be pretty cool to learn exactly how they did it, this way you won't always use the same run. That being said, After learning it perfectly you can much better and more proficiently add your own style to it and it'll sound 10x better than if you just fake it.
Both. I like to learn to play the solo note for note so I can understand what the guitarist is doing. But when I actually play it, I almost always improvise some parts. Really depends on the solo, certain iconic ones I'll always play note for note.

At the same time, in some songs it'll be completely improvised.
Last edited by stratman7 at May 17, 2010,
I don't learn solos, my lead work is sloppy as shit.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I do one of a few things....

I learn it note for note. This means sitting around for an hour or two sometimes, memorizing and attempting to and eventually playing EVERY minute detail of the solo on down to bends, vibrato, every last note, often times having to slow things down and get use to the runs well enough to play it very fast (if it is a fast solo).

Or if I'm having a sucky time trying to do it (really fast, and not well defined solo), I'll pick up the key parts, and make up the rest to add my own touch of style. I do this a lot when thrown into a situation of playing cover songs I don't know that well, but can pick up the rhythm parts to easily, so I work my way through with a mix of improv and the original.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Count Orlok
I don't see a point in learning solos, except for maybe learning a few cool licks that might be reusable, but for the most part I think learning a solo stunts creativity as a lead/soloing guitar player (also note that most famous guitar players don't play all solos in a cover song note for note either).

You got it backwards, mate. When you learn other people's songs/solos you pick up on licks and ideas that you wouldn't have thought of yourself.

Also, I've never understood the guitarist mentality of only playing original stuff. That isn't the case with people who play other instruments. In fact, most people who play a concert instrument never write or play original music. If everyone in an orchestra put their own little twist on what they're playing, then the music as a whole would sound like shit.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I do whatever I feel like doing at the particular moment.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
I rarely learn solos. Either I improvise the whole thing, or grab a mic and go WYRNAWYRNAWYRNA for thirty seconds or so a la Dave Grohl.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by StewieSwan
You got it backwards, mate. When you learn other people's songs/solos you pick up on licks and ideas that you wouldn't have thought of yourself.

Also, I've never understood the guitarist mentality of only playing original stuff. That isn't the case with people who play other instruments. In fact, most people who play a concert instrument never write or play original music. If everyone in an orchestra put their own little twist on what they're playing, then the music as a whole would sound like shit.

Ya but thats because forty different musicians playing their own thing would sound like shit no matter what.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by StewieSwan

Well, who said all rock artists improvise every part? Your comment here is pretty extreme. It's like taking a completely black-and-white stand on the issue. It's either improvise everything or improvise nothing.

Here's the thing with rock music, though.

The majority of guitar solos in rock songs are ad-libbed. Only shredders like Petrucci or Vai, or guitarists that do very simple lead stuff like The Edge put so much weight in every note. Just about every 70s guitar solo was pretty much banged out on the spot. Just about every guitar solo in pentatonic I can think of sounds like it was ad-libbed.

So basically, the intention of the solo section is ad-libbing. Of course, when you're playing someone else's parts, you want to make it recognizable, but you have to give yourself some leeway for improvisation here and there.

Also, I'd rather make something up on the spot that sounds awesome than make a poor attempt at trying to copy someone else's lead style note-for-note. Trying too hard tends to suck the life out of anything.
Most people, not all, improvise solos because they are too lazy andor bad to learn it note for note.
I learn the solo note for note, Unless I'm strapped for time (say i have to perform the song within a week for a performance.)
Quote by Jake2
Most people, not all, improvise solos because they are too lazy andor bad to learn it note for note.

You're a pretty good troll there. Mind showing your credentials for this obviously informed and clearly superior opinion?
Quote by travislausch
You're a pretty good troll there. Mind showing your credentials for this obviously informed and clearly superior opinion?

He started with 'most, not all', so calm down. Secondly, he's right. Plenty of people lack the skill or determination to learn a solo note-for-note so they just say "fuck it" and play their own thing. Then they say that they wanted to sound original and unique as a way of justifying their laziness.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by InfiniteRain

Me too.

Improv FTW
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to learn a solo. I just can't do it. I seriously, 100% can't learn other peoples' solos. I just improvise in the same key and it all works out.
I haven't learned a solo in about a year...Some I just work out by memory, but they're really easy.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
The only songs I really ever try to learn these days are stuff like Between the Buried and Me or Protest the Hero, so I generally learn everything note by note.