i'm currently studying here korea, and i have a debate on the Israel - Palestine conflict. Our debate team is on the side of supporting Israel and blaming Palestine as to why the conflct is still ongoing. its hard to get real concrete information here in korea on this material, so i thought i'd post here and ask fellow UGers their opinion on this topic. why do you guys think the solutions (such as the two state solution) is not working?? remember that i'm supporting Israel, so i have to state that it is not working because of palestine. anyways, any words and opinions would be highly appreciated! thanks!
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Found your problem.

exactly.. i'm siding with palestine but the debate sides were picked at random
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Did you choose the side and topic if not it sounds like lawyer class, debating for something you are against, or at least for me since I do not support Israel.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Found your problem.
You're bad at jokes...

Btw, I'm a Jew. The reason why is that we Jews were there before the Palestinians even existed as...well, they're not really a nation, but ya know...

Edit: Why is it that everyone except the Jews think Israel should go to hell? Seriously, what's the matter with you? Doesn't it matter that it's part of our heritage?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 17, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Btw, I'm a Jew. The reason why is that we Jews were there before the Palestinians even existed as...well, they're not really a nation, but ya know...

Congratulations. This isn't about being Jewish or not. Its about what one country is doing to another.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Zephyr-Chills
Did you choose the side and topic if not it sounds like lawyer class, debating for something you are against, or at least for me since I do not support Israel.

It's pretty common with team based debates to argue for topics you're against, the proposition and opposition are decided at random.

My only really advice is to google that shiz "Arguments for Israel" or something like that. Read as much as you can, and try to get a broad idea of why people are for it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Congratulations. This isn't about being Jewish or not. Its about what one country is doing to another.

Pretty much this. Religion doesn't have much to do with my views on the situation as a whole.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're bad at jokes...

Edit: Why is it that everyone except the Jews think Israel should go to hell? Seriously, what's the matter with you? Doesn't it matter that it's part of our heritage?

I'm half Palestinian and I would have to ask you guys to start treating my fellow Palestinians with respect.
While I tend to see things from a pro-Palestinian viewpoint most of the time, I can think of a few points for the other side:

1. Jews need a homeland, like every people.
2. Going back far enough, that area has been the traditional Jewish homeland (i know not more recently, but still)
3. A good portion of the Middle East is incredibly anti-Semetic, and it would be pretty bad for all the Jews living in Israel if suddenly the state was abolished.

I know it's not much, but like I said, I tend to support Palestine in this argument (and I do have some Jewish heritage, btw).
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

1st off, Palestine is NOT a country. They're a peoplegroup. 2nd off, they've been bombing Israel since 1947. Read your history. The Mufti of Jerusalem started the conflict. He also was a friend of Hitler. Many early Palestinian terrorists also trained in the Nazi SS training facilities.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I'm half Palestinian and I would have to ask you guys to start treating my fellow Palestinians with respect.

Maybe you could stop bombing Israel then...hmm?...Maybe you could stop a war that your Mufti of Jerusalem, in 1947, started?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 17, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
1st off, Palestine is NOT a country. They're a peoplegroup. 2nd off, they've been bombing Israel since 1947. Read your history. The Mufti of Jerusalem started the conflict. He also was a friend of Hitler. Many early Palestinian terrorists also trained in the Nazi SS training facilities.

Maybe you could stop bombing Israel then...hmm?...Maybe you could stop a war that your Mufti of Jerusalem, in 1947, started?

Unfortunately, TS, you're pretty much limited to spouting off bullshit and lies like this.
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Unfortunately, TS, you're pretty much limited to spouting off bullshit and lies like this.

My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Actually, there's not a single lie there except for maybe who started the conflict.

This whole "we can be there because god said so", "your problem is you chose Israel", "The Palestinians aren't a nation" bullshit makes me sick.

1st, we are there because the British allowed us to move there in the beginning of 1900. The Palestinians were there too but didn't wish for an independence at the time. So both of us have as much legal right to live on that place. Also, all that shit happened on the times of our grandfathers and nowadays most Israelis and Palestinians have been born there. Nobody is going to leave their homeland just because the other one has more historical right to that place. If that was the case, you US'ers should leave America.

Why the conflict is still ongoing? Because no ruling party from both sides really wants peace.
The Palestinians are led by fanatical wackos that exploit the wish for a country of their own people to keep the war alive in their own interest since without a war Hamas or Fatah has no place in the government. It's easier to rule and get rich in times of war than in times of peace.

Then, we have our Israeli leaders, that find maintaining the status quo more appealing than dismantling and relocating 400 thousand settlers, since that would be a political suicide and would wreck the Israeli society. Just look at what happened to Sharon after dismantling the settlements in Gaza. And of course, because of that the Palestinians keep shooting at us, which keeps driving the Israelis to turn into more fascist leaders.

Sorry for the grammar and lack of details, but I've been in too much Israeli - Palestinian debates and I'm sick of this conflict. Both of us are to blame and there is no good side on this conflict.
If you want good insights into this conflict I recommend the movie "Lemon Tree" and the documentary "Promises".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172963/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282864/

Edit: Now if instead of giving an accurate portrait of this conflict, you are interested in winning the debate, I recommend these books:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths2/mftoc.html
Alan Deshowitz - The Case For Israel . Make sure to read the counter book The Case Against Israel to see how they can refute your points and how to refute theirs.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at May 17, 2010,