Background: Been playing guitar for about 2 years...almosy exlusively on electric (but always had an acoustic (cheap POS) at my bedside for scales and such.
I have very large hands (XXL), and have always had trouble with open chords as I have a huge problem NOT touching the wrong strings. I can't play a "standard" open A chord with 3 fingers PERIOD...2 is no problem, just cover 2 strings with one finger.
Now I finally have a 1/2 way decent guitar (Ovation Celebrity I think). I like that the action is quite low compared to many acoustics I have played. I'm interested in finding an acoustic with wider string spacing (classical?) to help me out.

NOW, my questions:
1) What is considered a wide nut size for an acoustic
2) Are the wider guitars generally nylon string guitars
3) What are some suggestions to look at without spending a huge amount (thinking like $400 or less)
4) Are nylon strings less stable tuning wise?

I think I would prefer a steel string guitar based on my preconception that they sustain would be better, and tuning would be more stable. Also I'd like to get an acoustic with a pickup so I can plug in without buying something to stick in the sound hole

Again, I know VERY little about acoustics, I just think that something with a little more room between strings might be a big help. I'm not looking to get into acoustics as much as electics...I just couldn't afford that LOL! Just need something easier to play.

Thanx!!!!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at May 17, 2010,
Quote by Vinson
Background: Been playing guitar for about 2 years...almosy exlusively on electric (but always had an acoustic (cheap POS) at my bedside for scales and such.
I have very large hands (XXL), and have always had trouble with open chords as I have a huge problem NOT touching the wrong strings. I can't play a "standard" open A chord with 3 fingers PERIOD...2 is no problem, just cover 2 strings with one finger.
Now I finally have a 1/2 way decent guitar (Ovation Celebrity I think). I like that the action is quite low compared to many acoustics I have played. I'm interested in finding an acoustic with wider string spacing (classical?) to help me out.

NOW, my questions:
1) What is considered a wide nut size for an acoustic I've seen some go as wide as 1 7/8"
2) Are the wider guitars generally nylon string guitars No. Classical nylon string uses a wider neck due to the thickness of all 6 strings and playing style of the instrument.
3) What are some suggestions to look at without spending a huge amount (thinking like $400 or less) Alvarez, Yamaha, Seagull
4) Are nylon strings less stable tuning wise? Oh hell no. Once nylons have settled in they are incredibly stable strings. No pre-stretching on these tho, or thin spots can show up, weakening the string.

I think I would prefer a steel string guitar based on my preconception that they sustain would be better, and tuning would be more stable. Sustain comes from how well built/quality materials the guitar is made with. True bone nut/saddle lends a lot to this over plastic. Also I'd like to get an acoustic with a pickup so I can plug in without buying something to stick in the sound hole

Again, I know VERY little about acoustics, I just think that something with a little more room between strings might be a big help. I'm not looking to get into acoustics as much as electics...I just couldn't afford that LOL! Just need something easier to play.

Thanx!!!!

Answers in red above. Also, a 12 string acoustic minus the octave strings would give you a much wider neck with more room to fret with large fingers. I've heard this done many times. As for getting a guitar with built in electronics, remember you can always pop in a soundhole pickup later on for cheap and it'll sound just as good. Or mic it. Hope this info helps.