Can anyone offer me a solution as to why it won't hold tuning for longer than a couple hours, now?
The "G" seems to give the most tuning problems IMHO. Since when you try to re-tune it, you usually get a sudden leap in pitch and a distinct "ching" sound from the string as if something let go of it, I think that the problem has to do with the nut. Perhaps the nut slot isn't cut wide enough. Try putting some graphite lube or something like Big Bends Nut Sauce on the nut and see if that helps.

http://www.bigbends.com/
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Is the string just stuck through the hole in the tuner? There is a way to loop it around so the string locks itself in there. The string may be slipping in the tuner...I've had it happen to me.
G string is always the hardest to tune, hold tune and hold intonation, I don't know why but its been true with every guitar Ive ever played.
Try some pencil lead on the nut. that usually helps a lot
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
This may sound daft... (but its not) I'd check its not how you put your guitar down make sure its not leaning against a wall when its on it stand etc...

On my les Paul I'm forever knocking my G-String tuning peg, I think just because its at the top on the headsock and nearest the ground.... catches on the sink etc, when I'm playing on the pan.
Gordon Smith Graduate - [SD Alnico APH1 (Neck), SD Pearly Gates (Bridge)]
Hohner LX250 | Stagg NA38MJ

Marshall Valvestate VS100R | Vantage VG15

Pocket Pod | Backtrack | Dunlop Crybaby | Steve Clayton 0.63 | EB RPS 10's | Earthwood 10's
Need a little more info. New set of strings? If so, I've had to replace a brand new string from time to time when they're defective straight out of the package.

Try a new string and see if that helps. If not I would check out the nut and saddle.
Quote by Keepy
On my les Paul I'm forever knocking my G-String tuning peg, I think just because its at the top on the headsock and nearest the ground.... catches on the sink etc, when I'm playing on the pan.

I can't believe this got past everyone XD

But seriously, G strings are a nightmare. All the advice given here is great though, especially the advice about looping it right while stringing it up - it's taken me years to solve this problem!
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.