Please refrain from the nut jokes.....
So I just picked up this SG a few days ago. I saw my friend/tech at a show last night and had him take a quick look at it. He told me that nut was a little low at the low E string.

Was just wondering what would be some good ways to offset the height?
he told me I could just put some graphite in it. i've also been told that pencil shavings work?
Would it be worth it to just buy a new nut since they are cheap anyway?
I would just replace the nut.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
yeah, when I play it in standard it's not really noticeable. but when I tune to D Standard it buzzes quite a bit.

and pacman what do you mean by shim?

also forgot to say that my SG is equipped with Planet Wave self trim locking tuners if that makes any difference
lol 9's. i need to put 10's on for sure. I now that will make a bit of difference, but im still afraid it will buzz in drop tunings. I really dont want to use 11's as I really only play in standard, drop d, and d standard. Big strings tend to hurt my fingers, i like small smoothly bending strings. My guy also told me I should put 10's on there as well
Quote by handbanana
lol 9's. i need to put 10's on for sure. My guy also told me I should put 10's on there as well

do that before you go messing with the nut. see if the problem vanishes.
when switchig to 10s swap one string at a time. dont take them all off at once.

also, if it still buzzes with 10s, slip a bit of paper under the string in the nut cut and see if lifting it there helps. if it helps post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
when switchig to 10s swap one string at a time. dont take them all off at once.

also, if it still buzzes with 10s, slip a bit of paper under the string in the nut cut and see if lifting it there helps. if it helps post back.

Well duh! You have to with a hardtail bridge or it will fall off. THe strings are the only thing that keep it in place
Quote by handbanana
Well duh! You have to with a hardtail bridge or it will fall off. THe strings are the only thing that keep it in place

jj1565 (jenny) runs the Guitar Set Up Thread QnA Sticky so she was just trying to provide advice that would help the most. Besides, I've replaced strings on my hardtail and it is not THAT hard to put the bridge back together. Handbana.

Quote by handbanana

gravity helps a bit too newton.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah i know, it fits right back into place, but I know how to properly change strings, that wasn't what I asked.

and yes gregs i know. you know what i meant
anyone else try using pencil shavings???? i've been told it helps but not sure if I believe it or not.
Quote by handbanana
anyone else try using pencil shavings???? i've been told it helps but not sure if I believe it or not.

pencil shavings act as a lubricant so the string doesn't bind in the nut. it doesn't raise the height of the string.

1 - put on .10s
2 - see if problem persists.
3 - report back with results.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.