I love this shit. In Flames, At The Gates, Sylosis, Dark Tranquility... etc..

How do I go about composing? I know what harmonizing in, and I'm sure if I sat down I could figure it out with guitar pro (through tabulator, not theory.. shit gives me a headache.) but it all seems so damn chromatic to me? The stuff I write, anyway. It has no sense of melody. Don't get how to do it. All the notes sound out of place, I can't ever make things click.

Thirds and Fifths. What are they? I'm assuming alot of melodeath is based around it. Any and all compositional tips would be great.. melody being my problem. I can hammer out some shit riffs but when I try and bring some purpose to it, it sounds stupid.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Melodic death metal is quite amazing. I could never make it myself.. So I'm sort of in the same boat as you.

And guess what. We're sinking man.

We're f**king sinking. God help us.
What shall we call ourselves?!

Wait. I got it.

"At The Tranquility Gate of Flames"

Not too original am I?
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at May 17, 2010,
Hahaha. I was thinking The Flaming Gates of Dark Tranquility but whatever, that works. Seriously though, pack your gear and move to arizona.

It's happening. (b)
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
I'm already on a one-way flight there. Have a limo waiting for me..

Make sure there are 4 virgins waiting for me on the inside. We shall party until we are famous. Then we attempt to make music.
if you want to start writing like this, you'd better buckle down and learn your theory -- and learn it well. some melodeath gets really heavy into it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
wow, this thread turned gay in a heartbeat

I tend to write my melo death w/ my keyboardist

we pretty much just sit in his room, i yell out a random key, we come up w/ some sorta slow melodically badass riff and work around it

I tend to use diminished scales, and harmonic/melodic minor scales
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
wow, this thread turned gay in a heartbeat

I tend to write my melo death w/ my keyboardist

we pretty much just sit in his room, i yell out a random key, we come up w/ some sorta slow melodically badass riff and work around it

I tend to use diminished scales, and harmonic/melodic minor scales

It sure did

On an off-note, your name is DioFan.
Quote by ReinventingEvil
I love this shit. In Flames, At The Gates, Sylosis, Dark Tranquility... etc..

How do I go about composing? I know what harmonizing in, and I'm sure if I sat down I could figure it out with guitar pro (through tabulator, not theory.. shit gives me a headache.) but it all seems so damn chromatic to me? The stuff I write, anyway. It has no sense of melody. Don't get how to do it. All the notes sound out of place, I can't ever make things click.

Thirds and Fifths. What are they? I'm assuming alot of melodeath is based around it. Any and all compositional tips would be great.. melody being my problem. I can hammer out some shit riffs but when I try and bring some purpose to it, it sounds stupid.

When you speak of In Flames and Dark Tranquility, my all time faves btw, you have to look at it in a slightly different way. In Flames reached new plateaus when they changed their songwriting formula to that of a rock principle and form.

So you have, in essence: intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge/solo, chorus.

Now if you start learning/listening to some 80's rock, even some 90's rock... you would be able to write like this with ease. In concept, you have a riff. In the melodic side, you have them bouncing their chords down with 3rds... can be used going down (A, G, F#, E etc) or following a progression (vi - ii - V - I) or however they wish to connect it.

You do know 5ths, because in your powerchord struggles you are playing root 5 diads. And 3rds you should know as well, it is the first two notes in your C major and Gmajor chords. For minor 3rds you flatten the second note in your chord, ie: In a Gmajor open string chord, your first two notes are G (3rd fret low E string) and B (2nd fret A string)... so making it a minor third is simple... Play your G again and this time make the B a Bb (1st fret A string).

From this point onwards it is merely an easy way to now learn your key, of which you have 7 notes:

I major (uses a maj 3rd)
ii minor (minor 3rd)
iii minor (minor 3rd)
IV major (maj 3rd)
V major (maj 3rd)
vi minor (minor 3rd)
vii diminished (minor 3rd)

Your rhythms need to be bouncy and catchy. Your single note riffs need to have a purpose, ie: definitely leading to something big like a chorus or a 2nd verse... if its the 2nd verse, then your chorus must be a huge banana

This is why learning some rock could help you.

The other thing is... listen very closely to the whole album "Soundtrack to your escape"... the main harmony of the chords is there in the verses... and behind it, mixed slightly lower is another line using 3rds to connect the chords in the verses better. It either goes up or down...

Two guitar attack of harmony...both guitarists would play various parts of a chord, one low, one high, etc.

The solo would be old school stadium rock like... big and powerful...

So there's a rundown... its not complete... but it could move you along in a good way.

Dark Tranquility, very similar... but more in a moody sense... So this focuses more on the aural soundscape than an incredibly catchy hook. This takes practice in learning how chords effect a songs necessary mood... you have majestic chord progressions... the keys aren't awesome like Jordan Rudess or Rick Wakeman... but its basically there to add an underground layer from which to build on (a pad or whatever)

You need to have a sense of melody to get this right. You need to be able to get a firm idea of it in your head before you just jump straight into writing it... although, you could just jump in straight away... learn to love the add9 chord... but anyway.... you have a lot of work ahead of you... and I wish you luck
Last edited by evolucian at May 17, 2010,
Quote by ReinventingEvil
I was hoping I could just ****ing wing it til it all sounded right.

Well, you certainly can, but getting the basics down is a big help.

Try the theory vids in my profile, you already know some theory I bet.
I admit I'm not a "metal" (any sub-genre) fan at all....But you've got to admit that "Melodic Death Metal" sounds really weird...
Quote by TheAbsentOne
It sure did

On an off-note, your name is DioFan.

other offnote, i started the thread about his death

OT: Follow that other dudes advice, it's rather solid
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
COBHC \m/
Kalmah \m/
Skyfire \m/
Arch Enemy \m/
"And if there's a god I know he likes to rock. He loves his loud guitars and his spiders from Mars."

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Goth
Peavey Tracer
Fender Super Champ XD
Peavey Viper 15
Vox Joe Satriani Big Bad Wah
Opeth's musicality amazes me every time I listen to one of their in-the-middle albums. My Arms Your Hearse? Still Life? Epic albums.

Anyhow, I'm no expert on melodic death metal, but the approach to learning any style of music is the same; get your chops up to par so you are capable of playing said genre, learn some theory if you haven't yet, then learn some songs you like and figure out what makes them tic.

Try this right now. Pick your favorite melodeath metal song. Now listen to it and take notes. This helps if you already know how to play the song. Now, answer these questions

What scales is he using?
What note is he emphasizing?
What chord did he play that riff over?
What chord was that?
What key is he in?
What chord progressions is he using?
What articulation techniques does he like to use?
Is he tuned down?
What kind of tone is he getting?
Any effects?

The more questions you ask yourself and answer, the more you will learn his style.
First, you'll need to have a good knowledge of theory, and a good technic.

I listened to a lot of Children of Bodom, and I tried and tried but I eventually figured it was just too advanced. Not that Laiho is the best musician on earth, but he does know his theory. A bit too much if I can say so.

I recommend you to watch Marty Friedman's melodic control video. It's on youtube in 6 parts. Sure he's not a melodeath guitarist, but the lessons he gives are priceless. Plus, this guy is a ****ing genius.

Then, it comes down to studying your fav artists and how they compose their music.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.