Hey guys I'm buying a new bridge pickup for my guitar. I've been looking at the EMG 81 for a while now.
My pickup layout is a 5-way section S-S-H and they are all passives. Now with the EMG being an active pickup, how will this affect the balance between the other pickups? I've heard the pot will need to be replaced with installation of the EMG and this will lower the levels/qualities of the passives, which of course I don't want. I don't know whether this is true or if there's any other things I need to look out for?
Am I better off with a high output passive pickup, eg. Dimarzio X2N?

yeah. i dont know exactly how, if possible, you could wire active with passive, but there would be a huge volume difference as well.
i would shoot EMG an email or wait for someone else on this board, but my vote is to go with a hot passive, for sake of simplicity. or all actives.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I wouldn't risk all the potential ****-ups that wiring active and passive together will probably provide.
yeah i would either go all actives or all passives not a combination unless you want to drop some serious money into your guitar.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Basically it's going to balls everything up, don't waste your time or money on an EMG - you can only mix actives and passives if they're on separate circuits.

What amp do you have and what's wrong with your tone at the moment?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. My amp is a randall rg100. my tone is fine, but i mean im kind of limited with ashton pickups arnt i? and i dont have enough money for a new guitar. im after a hotter sound for lead playing while keeping the single coil on the neck the same level, and by the sounds of it the EMG isn't gonna co-operate too well.
So EMG 81 or any actives are off the list. Any reccomendations for a passive with simliar tone (or qualities)? Please don't suggest Seymour Duncans I don't like them. Leaning towards Dimarzio at the moment.
Quote by HeadlessCross
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. My amp is a randall rg100. my tone is fine, but i mean im kind of limited with ashton pickups arnt i? and i dont have enough money for a new guitar. im after a hotter sound for lead playing while keeping the single coil on the neck the same level, and by the sounds of it the EMG isn't gonna co-operate too well.

No, you're not - you've simply been led to believe that you are by reading too much stuff on the internet about pickups.

If you think your tone is fine then don't waste money on pickups, they're the least cost effective piece of gear out there. You only spend money on them when you know why you want them and what they're going to do for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ive been wanting to do this as well since Ive seen many of Glenn Tipton's guitars which have both EMG/Blackouts and some sort of passive pickups
Quote by steven seagull
No, you're not - you've simply been led to believe that you are by reading too much stuff on the internet about pickups.

If you think your tone is fine then don't waste money on pickups, they're the least cost effective piece of gear out there. You only spend money on them when you know why you want them and what they're going to do for you.
I havnt been mislead at all. When I say 'they're fine' I mean they're average, they do the job but not well. Im at a level where I need decent gear but I'm ****ed for money. That's why Im selling my Boss ME-50 beacuse I never use it, its too digital. If I could get a whole new setup I would but I can't look at guitars and amps right now. My only other option is a OD pedal like the EHX Metal Muff but Im still not going to be getting the best tone running from cold pickups will I?
Quote by HeadlessCross
I havnt been mislead at all. When I say 'they're fine' I mean they're average, they do the job but not well. Im at a level where I need decent gear but I'm ****ed for money. That's why Im selling my Boss ME-50 beacuse I never use it, its too digital. If I could get a whole new setup I would but I can't look at guitars and amps right now. My only other option is a OD pedal like the EHX Metal Muff but Im still not going to be getting the best tone running from cold pickups will I?

What do you mean by "cold" pickups? Seriously, if you're strapped for cash then pickups are the least of your worries because they offer the worst bang for buck of any piece gear - unless you know exactly what it is you want from them then it's a lottery.

You'd be much safer investing in a decent distortion pedal or perhaps just an EQ- it all depends on what's actually wrong with your tone and how you want to change it. At least with pedals you can play around with them in the store and see how they go, or if the shop's really nice they may let you try them at home and see if they do the job.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
What do you mean by "cold" pickups? Seriously, if you're strapped for cash then pickups are the least of your worries because they offer the worst bang for buck of any piece gear - unless you know exactly what it is you want from them then it's a lottery.

You'd be much safer investing in a decent distortion pedal or perhaps just an EQ- it all depends on what's actually wrong with your tone and how you want to change it. At least with pedals you can play around with them in the store and see how they go, or if the shop's really nice they may let you try them at home and see if they do the job.
What I mean by 'cold' pickups is they have no clarity, they don't sound alive. I don't know if a pedal is going to fix this, since I played through many different pieces of gear with my guitar and it comes to the same conclusion.