Poll: PLEASE READ OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: PLEASE READ OP.
I'm cool with the idea that there's no afterlife, but not alright with the idea of an afterlife
53 20%
I'm cool with the idea of an afterlife, but not with the idea of no afterlife
57 21%
The idea of both an afterlifee and no afterlife seem both alright to me
94 35%
The idea of an afterlife and no afterlife both sort of depress or sadden me
32 12%
Not really sure on how I feel about any of it
31 12%
Voters: 267.
Page 1 of 4
This isn't really a religion question, I don't think, but it's been brought up to me by religious people. For some reason a lot of people I know personally seem to always assume I'm atheist. And when they ask I'm usually just like "I really just have no opinion on that." But the one question that sure enough always comes up directly after "Do you believe in God?" is "What do you believe happens after you die, then?"

And this is the reason I think many people, especially theists, view this subject as so important.

And I think many people are scared when they think that if they die, there will be "nothing". As in, a person's mind just simply stops and ceases to exist any further, there's no afterlife and our memories, emotions, consciousness, etc. is just gone.

I mean, I'm really not convinced at all that there's an afterlife, but the idea that there isn't one still sometimes depresses me.

So Pit, two questions for the thread:

Are you content and/or satisfied with the idea that there's no afterlife and when you die, game over (if you assume that this idea is what will happen)?

And are you content and/or satisfied with the idea that when you die, there will be an afterlife of some sort where your mind/thoughts/etc. will go on living forever (if again, you assume this idea is what will happen)?

Please explain why you guys feel the way you do, if ya don't mind.

Also, please lets not discuss which event is the more likely one or which one you believe will actually happen.

EDIT: I did the best I could with the Poll. It's not perfect, so deal with it.
Last edited by The Madcap at May 17, 2010,
I originally said I was fine with both, but that's not accurate. Thinking about it, both depress me. No afterlife saddens me because I quite like existing, an afterlife saddens me because then I'd be wrong.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 17, 2010,
The idea of nothing after I die always scares me. Whenever I think about I feel weird. I just can't comprehend nothing. What do I do when there's nothing?
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I'm looking forward to it, actually.

So am I, but not in the way that I'm gonna head out and try to make that happen as fast as possible. For me, life is just as much an adventure as death and vice versa, why shouldn't it be?

EDIT: I also totally agree with FishStik... I mean, we seem to experience nothingness here on Earth when we sleep/are put under general anasthetic... but the only way we know what happened is when we wake up *seemingly* half a second after we fall asleep... How can we realize nothingness if we can't wake up from it???
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at May 17, 2010,
I am content with my personal belief that when i die there will be nothing.
It doesn't really bother me.
RIP Gooze

cats
Nah, I want some questions answered. I'd hate to die without knowing the answers to questions I've been asking.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by FishStik
The idea of nothing after I die always scares me. Whenever I think about I feel weird. I just can't comprehend nothing. What do I do when there's nothing?
Nothing! Hope you're happy....well, you won't be able to feel happiness, though.................
I'm not really satisfied with 'nothing', but I accept it as the logical answer.

It would be more disturbing to die and then end up in some bearded wizard's house in the clouds.
I don't know. But the absence of anything after death makes life more meaningful to me personally. Life isn't a fairy tale: it's probable that all that you are is in your head, and when your body stops pumping blood to your brain and it dies, your existence will cease. This doesn't mean there isn't a deeper meaning, or a force beyond our understanding, but I think that the concept of an afterlife does a disservice to the complex reality of the universe.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm not really satisfied with 'nothing', but I accept it as the logical answer.

It would be more disturbing to die and then end up in some bearded wizard's house in the clouds.

my sentiments exactly.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Last edited by bodyheatseeker at May 17, 2010,
Quote by Colgate Total
I'll be too dead to care.

/thread.

I'll care about as much as I cared about the billions of years the universe was around before I was born.
Check out my band Disturbed
It's a lot less troubling to me than the idea there is some magical undiscovered universe which is really near by, yet completely unnoticed and can some how tell how "good" you've been and put you in a really nice magical dimension or a really horrible one...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
the ending in Terminator 2 really scared the shit out of me when I was younger. You know when after Arny finishes off the bad guy and has to terminate himself because his job is done, and he lowers himself in that molten metal or something and the viewpoint steps inside his head and we see what he sees and then..... it all shuts down like those old TV's used to and then it's all black... there's nothing.
Quote by morciu
the ending in Terminator 2 really scared the shit out of me when I was younger. You know when after Arny finishes off the bad guy and has to terminate himself because his job is done, and he lowers himself in that molten metal or something and the viewpoint steps inside his head and we see what he sees and then..... it all shuts down like those old TV's used to and then it's all black... there's nothing.

The worst thing is, if there is no afterlife- there won't even be that blackness.
The poll would have been better if you had used a more universal term than 'cool'. I didn't know whether this meant I liked the idea or not, not to get on your back TS, just a recommendation for next time you make a poll

aaaanyway, I like the idea that there is an afterlife, and hope that it is true, but tbh, I believe it's pretty much game over and there is no afterlife. I mean, it's hard to get your head around, and nobody can prove it either way. I voted I'm 'cool' with the idea of an afterlife, but I still don't believe this is what happens when you die.

I hope that it's some form of reincarnation, or a decent afterlife, but in reality, I still believe that there really is no afterlife.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

The idea of immortal life is awful to me. Why would I want to go on forever? What the hell would I do for that long? Just sounds terrible. I'd want the people I love around me, but what if they had other intentions with their afterlife? I don't know; the notion doesn't seem to work.

I'd be satisfied with just dying.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by will123456789
The poll would have been better if you had used a more universal term than 'cool'. I didn't know whether this meant I liked the idea or not, not to get on your back TS, just a recommendation for next time you make a poll
Honestly, I didn't want people to confuse the idea of being alright with no afterlife meaning that they're alright with the logic of it, and they believe that's what's going to happen. For instance, I'm not really convinced in the afterlife, but I'm still alright with it if it does exist. But yeah, I had trouble making this poll and said fuck it 2 minutes into it.
There is not birth or death. Only continuation.

I sometimes think things will work out the way you believe them to.

I try not to think into it too much because it's really not that important. As previously stated, how much can you care when you're dead?
Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.

_____

Quote by GogglesVK
...You fucking genius.
I'm definitely not okay with the idea of being alive eternally with no way out. Nothingness doesn't seem like much fun either, but it's certainly the better of the two.
Quote by vintage x metal
The idea of immortal life is awful to me. Why would I want to go on forever?

Maybe you have been going on forever.
"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I was dead for eons before I was ever born, and I did not experience the slightest inconvenience from it"
-Mark Twain
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Completely and utterly satisfied.

I would not be satisfied with an afterlife. I even have trouble considering it hypothetically, because it is a silly construction.

Quote by Auty
There is not birth or death. Only continuation.

That's deep man.
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by john martin sai
Maybe you have been going on forever.

If I'm ignorant to my own afterlife, such as in the idea of reincarnation, then I really do not care. I only know what I'm presented with.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Did you know what "nothing", "death" or "philosophical questions" were when you were in the womb? No.

Death is inevitable and "nothing" is just as good as "everything". SURELY you of all people can get their head around THAT.

What is life even? 100 years ago, you'd just be writing your thoughts down on parchment or reciting them to immediate family; unheard by the world and ignored by the masses.

The sooner you realise you are normal, insignificant and futile, the sooner you will realise "philosophy" is as pointless as "magic". Neither are real; because you aren't even real.
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com
Last edited by slight☼return at May 17, 2010,
I can't resolve in my mind the idea that there will be 'nothing', and that before me I was 'nothing'. How can that be? I could either buy into Solipsism or reincarnation/previous lives. Personally I dig reicarnation.

Middle-class spiritualism; feels good man
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Quote by slight☼return
Did you know what "nothing", "death" or "philosophical questions" were when you were in the womb? No.

Death is inevitable and nothing is just as good as everything. SURELY you of all people can get their head around THAT.

Considering that you cannot comprehend nothing, no, no-one can truly get their head around the "fact that nothing is just as good as everything."
I find it more comforting to believe that this is not a test. I don't like the idea that someone is judging me "worthy" or not. And considering the criteria posed forward by Christianity is impossible to meet, I'm happy believing this is it.

Also eternity doing nothing? No thank you.
Quote by The Madcap

I mean, I'm really not convinced at all that there's an afterlife, but the idea that there isn't one still sometimes depresses me.

This sums it up for me. Infact its sometimes crippling for me to think about. Quite depressing.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by The Madcap
Honestly, I didn't want people to confuse the idea of being alright with no afterlife meaning that they're alright with the logic of it, and they believe that's what's going to happen. For instance, I'm not really convinced in the afterlife, but I'm still alright with it if it does exist. But yeah, I had trouble making this poll and said fuck it 2 minutes into it.

So you meant:

"You want one to be true, but you believe the other is in fact the case"?

or something along those lines? It doesn't matter anyway now, most people can decipher some sort of decision out of it.

just a few of my fans..

Quote by GoodnightHero
I'm just gonna live it up as much as I can, cause this is the only thing I can be sure of.

Thankfully you are already smart enough to know that its best to just ignore the:

religious fanatics, wait for marriage virgins, church goers, do gooders, philosophers, and "i dont abuse my body because its a temple" ****tards.

Waitabe brah. Maybe more can learn from your wisdom...doubt it though- if everyone had a brain there'd be no "god", "church", "scout camp" or "promise rings". lol.
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

I think about this occasionally, the thought of sudden, absolute nothing scares me quite a lot. But, then I remember I'm looking at it through a 17 year old's eyes, where I have a whole life of things to do in the future. I like to believe that when I'm an old man who's lived a good life, I will be far more accepting of death. I just want to make sure that life is good, and is a happy one.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by slight☼return
Waitabe brah. Maybe more can learn from your wisdom...doubt it though- if everyone had a brain there'd be no "god", "church", "scout camp" or "promise rings". lol.

Because everybody has a brain there are those things. From many brains come many hypotheses, I don't agree with them, but I'm not going to bat them off as easily as that.

just a few of my fans..

That was my point Will; the brain makes up crazy and stupid things...often infact...
Quote by Metalology

lolwut

Page 1 of 4