I thought Pods were just used to record, but recently, I've seen guys (with sick tones, I might add)... playing through pods instead of amps? Am I mistaken, or can you use a Pod instead of an amp? And would you advise/dissuade me from doing this?

Thanks...
Yeh Why not? Sometimes a put it through my studio monitors just for a jam. Wouldnt replace my Orange for it though.
You will still need to run it through some form of power amp.

So... if I have an amp, I get a pod, and I get the tone of the pod coming out of my amp? Or am I being really stupid?

I heard you could run them through computers, as well?
Quote by 04rumbola
So... if I have an amp, I get a pod, and I get the tone of the pod coming out of my amp? Or am I being really stupid?

Yes you can run them through your amp/computer but what he is saying is:

If you want to play live you will need a 'power amp' which boosts the tiny signal from your POD to make sure you can get enough volume through your speakers during a gig. This is better than putting it through your amp and cranking the volume as you will have the tone/distortion from the amp interfering, unless that is what you want.
Thanks. I wouldn't be playing live with it... so I'd, say, plug the guitar into the pod, then the pod into a computer/amp... and the sound would come out of the computer/amp speakers? So you can't play JUST through a pod?
Quote by 04rumbola
Thanks. I wouldn't be playing live with it... so I'd, say, plug the guitar into the pod, then the pod into a computer/amp... and the sound would come out of the computer/amp speakers? So you can't play JUST through a pod?

If you use headphones you can.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by 04rumbola

Plug the POD into the the effects return, you get the sound of the POD through your amp.

Plug the POD into powered speakers (computer speakers, a hifi system, a PA system) and you get POD sound through the powered speakers.

Plug headphones into your POD and you don't need anything else.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If you're only looking for something to play through your computer, I'd recommend getting a Pod Studio. You run it with the Pod Farm software through your computer speakers. If you know how to use it, you can get some pretty decent sounding practice/recording tones.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/78821
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570