1) How can I carve through the fretboard without a router? Like using basic household tools / a drill / whatever?

2) I've read somewhere about making the inlays with solder. As in, putting pieces of solder in the inlay spaces and then melting them into shape. Is this reasonable? Won't it damage the fretboard?
1) You'll need a dremel or foredom with a base. A regular router will be too big for that precise work, and the small bits won't fit. Or, if you're very skilled with handtools you may be able to use tiny chisels.

2)Not sure how well the solder will stick to the wood. You may need to bevel in the edges of the recess so the solder won't be able to slide out.

I'd recommend getting some books and/or DVDs on inlay techniques before you start destroying fretboards.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Well I was gonna try it on a piece of wood before I started destroying fretboards.

I've read some guides on the Internet and somebody said something about using a mixture of glue and powdered shell? How the hell does that work?
Quote by Mad Marius
Well I was gonna try it on a piece of wood before I started destroying fretboards.

I've read some guides on the Internet and somebody said something about using a mixture of glue and powdered shell? How the hell does that work?

That is better than solder. It is possible to mix fine wood dust or powdered shell with epoxy and fill in the areas you have routed/carved out.
Powdered shell, mix it with the glue and fill the inlays. When the glue's dried, sand your fretboard smooth and you have solid inlays. I've seen this done with ebony dust too.
But but... I really wanted the shiny metallic inlays so the women would get all moist over my specular awesomeness... any other ideas, folks?
I've seen aluminum inlays...you could try that.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
brass dust maybe? its really fine.
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
i am actually intrigued by the solder idea. no idea how well it would work, but if you did it carefully it wouldnt damage the fretboard. just touch the soldering iron to the solder with a steady hand and you shouldnt burn the wood.

as for how well it would stay in, i dont really know. if it popped out, well then you could just glue it in. thats actually a fairly interesting idea...

if you want shiny and metallic, may i suggest glitter
mix glitter with glue, or better yet, glitter-glue, and have at it.
such a bad idea that its almost worth persuing.
well if you did the solder inlay couldnt you just finish your fretboard? and it would stay better?
Quote by kiaba94
well if you did the solder inlay couldnt you just finish your fretboard? and it would stay better?

With like 30 coats of Clear-Coat yes...
Clear-Coat is not meant to hold stuff in. It's not like plastic.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Mad Marius
But but... I really wanted the shiny metallic inlays so the women would get all moist over my specular awesomeness... any other ideas, folks?

Inlay silver, gold, etc. You can pretty much inlay anything.
If your un sure about the solder idea, you can leave a mm or so to be filled in. From there, put clear epoxy over it, then sand flush and wetsand till's see through again (the epoxy) .
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
you could make a inlay template on a seperate peice of wood, do the solder in there, then pop it out, and install it like a normal inlay, using glue and such.

I think ill try the glitter glue if i ever pop an inlay during scalloping...
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.