Hey guys,

I'm new here and I'm experiencing humming problems with my guitar. I don't really know where to start and was hoping for some opinions on what to do.

The guitar has been sitting for a while and I recently decided to start playing again and found that when I plugged the jack into my guitar there was no sound coming from my amp. I removed the input jack and found the actual piece of metal that rests against the lead wasn't touching the jack. I bent this back into the original position and found I now have sound but the guitar has a low humming noise.

The thing I find weird is that when in the upright position (parallel to a wall) the humming is reduced but when I turn the guitar to the flat position (parallel to the floor) the humming increases. Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this. I was thinking there may be a loose wire in the guitar somewhere but everything seems soldered (although some of the soldering isn't the best). I've read that a bad earth generally causes humming. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance
yes it could be ground/earth. that is what it sounds like, but it would do it any time you aren't touching the strings/bridge to ground it.

are you using a tube amp and single coil pick ups? other items in the room can also cause this wonder. computers, lights etc.

try a plugging the amp into a different power outlet in the house. report back.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A quick update. I should have time to have a good look at this over the next couple of days but in response to your reply, I'm using a solid state 10W practice amp (Park) and there are two humbuckers and one single coil pickup on the guitar. The humming is worse with the single coil. I'll post more info when I get a chance to have a good play with it.