Page 1 of 4
Hey Pit, in my Western Civilization class I found out that some French people don't like it when foreigners pronounce Versailles anything other than vur-SIGH (true?) and having a Ukrainian brother-in-law I know that Ukrainians don't like it when people say THE Ukraine. Are there any places in your country that foreigners mispronounce and it makes you mildly irritated?
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
I always thought it was 'vur-says'

I only did french for a short time in school though, and that was a good few years ago, and I was never the best student...
Quote by Craigo
I have an issue with the alternative American pronunciation of 'Nietzsche'. Big time issues.

What is the American pronunciation?
Quote by Butt Rayge
I always thought it was 'vur-says'

I only did french for a short time in school though, and that was a good few years ago, and I was never the best student...

the key is to pronounce the first 's' like a 'z' and to ignore the 'es' at the end.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
How about we pronounce things the way those who are native speakers do?

Ergo: Versailles is not 'VURsails' but 'VairSIGH'. Birmingham is not 'BurmingHAM' but 'BURmingum'. Eyjafjallajökull is not 'Eyar whatever' but 'Eh-YA-fyat-le-yur-kootl'.
Last edited by Kumanji at May 17, 2010,
Well, it's not specific to Versailles (your phonetic rendition is roughly exact by the way), it's just irritating to hear certain words and names when they are obscenely misspelled, just like in any language.

Personally, I don't care about pronunciation as long as people make an effort to speak the language and it's understandable. And many foreign accents are cool, just like many of you would say the French accent is "cute". I actually like the English and German accents when they speak French.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
americans pronounce a lot of australian places weird
ozz-tray-lia
mel-borne, we say it mel-bun
CARPE DIEM

Quote by Butt Rayge
Hot chicks love it when you hit them.

If you don't hit them, you're weak.

GEAR:

ESP ECLIPSE-I
MARSHALL JCM2000 TSL601
DIGITECH RP250
Americans seem to think my name is pronounced K-Gel like I'm some lubricant selling rapper. I forgive them, though.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kumanji
How about we pronounce things the way those who are native speakers do?

the problem is the difference between languages. Try to pronounce " 's gravenhage" like a dutchman does. You'll most likely fail because you have to use phonetics that don't exist in english.

Quote by Astyan
Nietzsche = "Nee-tch" in French.

All that consonant cluster reduction is why my french accent is so terrible...
Quote by Kensai
Americans seem to think my name is pronounced K-Gel like I'm some lubricant selling rapper. I forgive them, though.

Well, to be fair, you do give that impression.

Anyway, English people often completely mispronounce Irish place names. It's quite funny.
How DO you pronounce your name?
As I always say: "Rawr"
Quote by watto25
ozz-tray-lia

Yeah, melbooooooooooooooorne is totally wrong, guys.

Lay off the "O's" and don't be so hard on that 'R.'

We're very lazy with our R's over here.

Also I had no idea you sigged me and can't even recall where or why I said that.
Quote by the bartender
the problem is the difference between languages. Try to pronounce " 's gravenhage" like a dutchman does. You'll most likely fail because you have to use phonetics that don't exist in english.

"ij" is a particularly difficult dipthong I've found.
Seriously? Neechee? Is 'Neechuh' too hard to say? xD

Quote by the bartender

I suppose you just have to make your best effort. Neechee and Vursails is just plain lazy.
Last edited by Kumanji at May 17, 2010,
Quote by watto25
ozz-tray-lia

I say mel-burn xD I'm somewhere halfway between I gather...
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Kensai

How do you pronounce it? Like Kyell?
^ Kj- in Swedish is like ch- in English.

I find a lot of people also have difficulty distinguishing between a and ä, and o and ö, even though they are totally different sounds.
Quote by Kensai

Seriously?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^ Kj- in Swedish is like ch- in English.

I find a lot of people also have difficulty distinguishing between a and ä, and o and ö, even though they are totally different sounds.

How can you mistake o for ö?! Seriously wtf. Or for ø for that matter.
Quote by jeffbecklad
Hey Pit, in my Western Civilization class I found out that some French people don't like it when foreigners pronounce Versailles anything other than vur-SIGH (true?)

That'll be true, because that's the correct pronunciation. How would you pronounce it? Ver-say-les?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
That'll be true, because that's the correct pronunciation. How would you pronounce it? Ver-say-les?

I am still convinced that even vurSIGH is wrong, since 'sigh' is pronounced with a hard 's', and versailles is prounced with a 'z' sound.

alot of dutch people pronounce word likes chord wrong

they'll say something like tsjord insteand of Kord. It can be anoying if you are a guitar player in Holland :P

oh and character is ofcourse pronounced as tsjarakturrr (emphasis on the R)
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
Quote by Kumanji
How can you mistake o for ö?! Seriously wtf. Or for ø for that matter.

I don't know, and I know each scandinavian country does them a bit differently, but I always hear the politician Lembit Öpik being introduced as Lembit Oh-pik.

Quote by the bartender
I am still convinced that even vurSIGH is wrong, since 'sigh' is pronounced with a hard 's', and versailles is prounced with a 'z' sound.

All voiced /s/ is actually /z/. Most people don't realise it because of the spellings they are used to associating with the sounds.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at May 17, 2010,
^ The best experience I have with those vowels is checking the bit in Tolkien novels to double check how things should be said in Tolkien's novels.

Oh. Americans can't say Craig right either which is irritating. My name is Craig, not Kraig.
Last edited by Craigo at May 17, 2010,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I don't know, and I know each scandinavian country does them a bit differently, but I always hear the politician Lembit Öpik being introduced as Lembit Oh-pik.

Heck, I didn't even realize the poor chap had an umlaut, I've only ever heard him referred to.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

How would you say it then? I'd say OOO-pik... But I don't know much about those scandalous languages...
Quote by freddaahh

It depends, really. It's most common in the US for people to say vur-'sails or ver-'says.
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
Quote by Kumanji
Heck, I didn't even realize the poor chap had an umlaut, I've only ever heard him referred to.

I've never read it with an umlaut, either. Maybe he stopped spelling with it himself?

Quote by Astyan

Personally, I don't care about pronunciation as long as people make an effort to speak the language and it's understandable. And many foreign accents are cool, just like many of you would say the French accent is "cute". I actually like the English and German accents when they speak French.

Really? That's quite nice to know, I always hated the sound of Anglicised French, it always sounds so clunky. But I always like the sound of French accented English.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Will-kun
alot of dutch people pronounce word likes chord wrong

they'll say something like tsjord insteand of Kord. It can be anoying if you are a guitar player in Holland :P

dutch accent in english is halarious :P. "I tink tat joe are not goed in joer hed"

Quote by halo43
How would you say it then? I'd say OOO-pik... But I don't know much about those scandalous languages...

an ö is ussually pronounced "eu"

Last edited by the bartender at May 17, 2010,
Quote by freddaahh

Really? That's quite nice to know, I always hated the sound of Anglicised French, it always sounds so clunky. But I always like the sound of French accented English.

One of my housemates from my first year at uni has a very strong Barnsley accent and tried talkng French to our French housemate.

Some gems:

Mer-see boo-cup
Champ-pag-knee
Carver bee-rut
Quote by halo43

A very high very round vowel, so your lips would be in a small o-shape and your tongue would be flat at the bottom of your mouth, and it would be like a uuu sound, like How people in Northern England say book, or kind of like the vowel in 'few'.
Page 1 of 4