Page 1 of 2
hi there!

im looking to get a head with a good clean sound that i can use my effects and distortion on.

I need a head with a really good clean channel that takes pedals well. any ideas?
a fender...not sure what heads they have but nothings better for cleans and pedal accepting (tube obviously)
Hold on ts, I've got some flaming to do before I can answer.

Quote by plabon
fender has the best cleans, i like ac-30 either

That is debatable. And purely subjective, anyway.
Quote by '93
a fender...not sure what heads they have but nothings better for cleans and pedal accepting (tube obviously)

I you don't know, don't hand out advice.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Valveking!

Poop!

Okay, so...

you've got a cab already, I assume? Which one? Also, what's the rest of your rig and how much are you willing to spend? What sounds are you going for?

AC30 heads can be found for good prices used, but they're rare. Heads aimed specifically at clean tones are few and far between, usually if you want a one channel clean amp you'll have to look at combos.
Quote by TheQuailman

That is debatable. And purely subjective, anyway.

I you don't know, don't hand out advice.

Poop!

Okay, so...

you've got a cab already, I assume? Which one? Also, what's the rest of your rig and how much are you willing to spend? What sounds are you going for?

AC30 heads can be found for good prices used, but they're rare. Heads aimed specifically at clean tones are few and far between, usually if you want a one channel clean amp you'll have to look at combos.

i have an ibanez ART 120. im using a line 6 uber metal for my distortion and i have a marshall mg100dfx combo at the minute which i will be selling to put money towards my head / cab.

My band has started gigging bigger places and we are signing up with casket soon so i need a bigger amp etc.
Thank you! I still need to know what music you play and how much cash you have. i can take guesses from what you've posted, but I'd rather ask.
Quote by IIChristian89II
i have an ibanez ART 120. im using a line 6 uber metal for my distortion and i have a marshall mg100dfx combo at the minute which i will be selling to put money towards my head / cab.

My band has started gigging bigger places and we are signing up with casket soon so i need a bigger amp etc.

so what is our budget for the head/cab?
what is the nearest major city? used markets vary worldwide.
i take it these places you will be gigging don't mic amps???
Quote by TheQuailman
Thank you! I still need to know what music you play and how much cash you have. i can take guesses from what you've posted, but I'd rather ask.

ok cool haha im aiming for a breaking benjamin / alter bridge kinda sound. I havbetween £100-£350 for the head but obviously id like to try and keep it on the cheaper end as i am jobless at the minute
Quote by gregs1020
so what is our budget for the head/cab?
what is the nearest major city? used markets vary worldwide.
i take it these places you will be gigging don't mic amps???

nearest major city would be birmingham.
and as for the micing of amps id imagine they would but i want bigger stuff!
Silverface (70s) Fenders are great for this type of stuff. They're dirt cheap (in most cases) crazy loud, and crazy clean. In a head form I'd be looking for any of the Bassman or Bandmaster variations. If you are willing to look at combos that opens up a lot more choices.

Most silverface Fenders can be found around $300, except the Twin and Super Reverbs which for some reason are the only silverfaces that have held their value almost as well as the blackfaces.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
roland jazz chorus

EDIT: nevermind...didn't see the budget.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at May 17, 2010,
With that amount of money I'd stay away from a cab+head combination. You will have a hard time finding anything decent for such a low price.

Since you are in the UK, look for a used Marshall JCM900 or JCM2000 DSL401 combo. Neither will be spot on for your sound, but they will get you in the ballpark. Both can be found between 300 and 350 used in the UK. A used Laney LC30 is also worth a look, though I prefer the Marshalls.

If it has to be new, a used Line6 Flextone III should do the trick.

All of these are combos. How much cash did you plan on spending on a cab? The 350 + cab money could possibly get you an even better amp than the three mentioned above.

Don't buy a cheap half stack. It'll sound sub-par and won't be needed for gigging.

EDIT: The amps I mentioned won't need a pedal to get you good distortion sounds. Each of them sounds far better on it's own than the Uber Metal.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 17, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
With that amount of money I'd stay away from a cab+head combination. You will have a hard time finding anything decent for such a low price.

Since you are in the UK, look for a used Marshall JCM900 or JCM2000 DSL401 combo. Neither will be spot on for your sound, but they will get you in the ballpark. Both can be found between 300 and 350 used in the UK. A used Laney LC30 is also worth a look, though I prefer the Marshalls.

If it has to be new, a used Line6 Flextone III should do the trick.

All of these are combos. How much cash did you plan on spending on a cab? The 350 + cab money could possibly get you an even better amp than the three mentioned above.

Don't buy a cheap half stack. It'll sound sub-par and won't be needed for gigging.

yeah i probably should have made it clearer lol i wanna spend 350 max on a head and then probably about the same on a cab tbh.
For a decent cab then you can get a Harley Benton from Thomann loaded with V30s for about £160 at the moment. I played on a friend's one the other night and for the money it is brilliant. It's only a 2x12, but do you really need a 4x12?
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by IIChristian89II
yeah i probably should have made it clearer lol i wanna spend 350 max on a head and then probably about the same on a cab tbh.

if you spend 700 on a good combo you come out of this with a much better amp.

so is the "stack" really needed, or would you rather put your money into one thing, that's superior?
Quote by TheQuailman
Poop!

Pardon me? The VK cleans sound off the balls man!
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Hidden Hippo
For a decent cab then you can get a Harley Benton from Thomann loaded with V30s for about £160 at the moment. I played on a friend's one the other night and for the money it is brilliant. It's only a 2x12, but do you really need a 4x12?

dont think a 4X12 would be necessary right now. id be happy with a 2X12 speaker
listen to us please. you came here for advice on how to get the most for your money.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 17, 2010,
Man, 700 quid will get you a used Engl Screamer combo easily. That thing will do the sounds you mentioned and then some. If it has to be new, an Engl Thunder is a less versatile, but still a very good alternative.

You might also want to look at an Orange Rocker 30. It's a very dark amp unlike the Engls which are very bright, but still suited for what you're doing. Getting a booster for it later on for more gain and tightness is also worth it.

Again, these are all combos. There are halfstacks you could get for 700, but they just don't compare with the combos at all. You could try to get a decent 2x12" cab (Framus makes good, affordable ones) and a used Screamer or Thunder head, but it'll be close (if at all possible) and won't sound much different from the combos.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Pardon me? The VK cleans sound off the balls man!

They sound like balls to me.

Nothing wrong with the VK if you take it as what it is, but the TS can do a lot better.
Quote by gregs1020
listen to us please. you came here for advice on how to get the most for your money.

who said i wasnt listening?? im taking it all in and thinking about getting a combo as i may very well come off better
Quote by TheQuailman
Man, 700 quid will get you a used Engl Screamer combo easily. That thing will do the sounds you mentioned and then some. If it has to be new, an Engl Thunder is a less versatile, but still a very good alternative.

You might also want to look at an Orange Rocker 30. It's a very dark amp unlike the Engls which are very bright, but still suited for what you're doing. Getting a booster for it later on for more gain and tightness is also worth it.

Again, these are all combos. There are halfstacks you could get for 700, but they just don't compare with the combos at all. You could try to get a decent 2x12" cab (Framus makes good, affordable ones) and a used Screamer or Thunder head, but it'll be close (if at all possible) and won't sound much different from the combos.

thanks man il definately look at the combo side of things. Like the one you have mentioned thanks alot !!
Quote by tubetime86
Silverface (70s) Fenders are great for this type of stuff. They're dirt cheap (in most cases) crazy loud, and crazy clean. In a head form I'd be looking for any of the Bassman or Bandmaster variations. If you are willing to look at combos that opens up a lot more choices.

Most silverface Fenders can be found around $300, except the Twin and Super Reverbs which for some reason are the only silverfaces that have held their value almost as well as the blackfaces.

Hmm...

Sovtek Mig 50 maybe?

What is availability like in the UK?
Quote by IIChristian89II
who said i wasnt listening?? im taking it all in and thinking about getting a combo as i may very well come off better

thank you.

your insistence on a "stack" made it appear you weren't.

now let me clear up one thing before the half stack fans lynch me.
there are good reasons to want a half stack.
being louder usually isn't one of them.
tone is. a closed back cab has a tone that an open back combo doesn't.
but by eq'ing your amp you can almost always hit a spot that's almost the
exact same. i've done this countless times, it's not perfect but close enough
for the drunks spilling beer on each other.
i use a closed back 1x12 cab, which isn't the same tone as a closed back 4x12, but it's what rocks my world, ymmv.

that said, listen to quail and the others recommending a good combo amp. at this point you are better serving yourself by getting a quality combo amp than splitting your budget between a good cab and good head.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 17, 2010,
^^Mig will be hard to find, but a Laney AOR is pretty similar and easy to find.

^+1
Stacks make sense, but only if you can/want to spend the cash for a good one.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 17, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
^^Mig will be hard to find, but a Laney AOR is pretty similar and easy to find.

cleans?

albeit the gain > uber metal.
you want it for a metal band?
if so bugera 6262 combo
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by tubetime86

$300?!
I want to live in America
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by irnmadn88
Hmm...

Sovtek Mig 50 maybe?

What is availability like in the UK?

If you're saying Bassmans aren't loud or clean you didn't read the 'silverface' part of my post. Silverfaces have little to nothing to do with the blackface or other Bassmans, tone-wise.

As for the Mig, why would you recommend a JCM-800 clone for cleans?

^Ya well, that's usually the price for something that's been sitting in a basement untouched for 20 years... Which means you end up paying for a tech as soon as you buy it. Still some good deals though. I got my Bassman 100 for $200, proceded to immediately blow it up, then spent $400 on servicing that it needed anyway. Is it worth $600 now... To me; yes, market-wise; not really.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 17, 2010,
Carvin MTS
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by tubetime86
If you're saying Bassmans aren't loud or clean you didn't read the 'silverface' part of my post. Silverfaces have little to nothing to do with the blackface or other Bassmans, tone-wise.

As for the Mig, why would you recommend a JCM-800 clone for cleans?

The Mig 50 is loud and doesn't break up easily either...

And as for the JCM-800 clone, my understanding of the Mig 50 is more a Fender Bassman or Marshall JTM45 clone than a JCM-800.

All I know is, I really like the amp.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at May 17, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman

sigged
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IIChristian89II

For this budget you'll want to utilize craigslist.

I got a Marshal AVT 2000 50h for the budget you have. And you can pick up great deals on cabs on craiglist. I would reccommend just a Crate 4x12 since they are whats easiest to find.

Craiglist got my rig, the marshall AVT 50watt head and an 80's randall cabinet replaced with a red grille cloth. Couldn't have found a better deal for under 500 (collectively for both)

It seems that it's not the sparkling clean your looking for, but rather a blank slate to stack your effects. Am I right?

If this is the case, go with my advice.
Quote by Funk Monk
For this budget you'll want to utilize craigslist.

not the best option in the UK, but your idea of looking used is.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by irnmadn88
The Mig 50 is loud and doesn't break up easily either...

And as for the JCM-800 clone, my understanding of the Mig 50 is more a Fender Bassman or Marshall JTM45 clone than a JCM-800.

All I know is, I really like the amp.

Oh wow, I'd always heard it was a pretty straight-up 800 clone. I think I misinterpreted your post anyway, my bad.

Quail: When did he say dirty amp?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2