I just gotten my guitar few days ago from another dude.

And i noticed that the neck has a bit of gap from the body, may i know is it normal?
I have checked the serial number and it's valid.

I never had a bolt-on guitar and Ibanez. Just need to confirm i didn't get ripped

Please help! I attached four photos here for reference.

http://img718.imageshack.us/i/img1927y.jpg/
http://img714.imageshack.us/i/img1928u.jpg/
http://img180.imageshack.us/i/img1929.jpg/
http://img143.imageshack.us/i/img1930z.jpg/

Many many thanks in advance.
I don't actually have an Ibanez Prestige -series RG, but I DO have bolt-on neck -guitars, and can confirm that this is normal and not in any way a malfunction.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
that is not a big deal but that should not happen in a prestige..my one has seamless quality..no gaps like that at all.a prestige shouldnt

whats the model and year?is it used or brand new?

EDIT : it is only on one side or both?
Last edited by deathmetallist3 at May 17, 2010,
Thanks guys for the fast response!!! Keep rocking!!

Anyway, it's at the treble side of the guitar.

I am able to push my fingernails in. Please verify!!
my guess is you live in a dry arid environment?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The guitar is made in 2005/2006 from Japan.

Used.

Not really, we're kind of humid down here, but it's under my air-conditioner everynight = dry?
i have a 3550mz pres. and looking off mine id say your okay. Your gap is abit bigger though, i'd move it away from the air conditioner
Main Rig:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa Rectifier 412
Gibson Explorer w/mods
Ibanez 321mh
Quote by Blooddrunk_Moon
The guitar is made in 2005/2006 from Japan.

Used.

Not really, we're kind of humid down here, but it's under my air-conditioner everynight = dry?

well normally the pocket on a prestige fits a bit tighter. but if the guitar was in a dry climate for a few years the maple neck can dry out and shrink a little. some guitars over time can shrink in size up to more than 10%. Since the neck is maple with rosewood and the body is basswood it likely shrinks at different rates.

it's quite normal for that to happen. if it is now in a humid environment it will swell back up over time fitting tighter.

or possibly the neck has been replaced for some reason. it happens as well.
The AC can really dry out your guitar. I have AC on all the time but when I turn it off and open the door, letting in the humidity, within an hr my setup is ****ed, the action goes too low. I need my AC though so not much I can do about it.
Welcome to the world of crappy production CNC machining.

Look where I live. On an assembly line it's easier to put something together that fits too loose than a little too tight. Your guitar is within "production tolerances." Play it and be happy.
Quote by BobDetroit
Welcome to the world of crappy production CNC machining.

Look where I live. On an assembly line it's easier to put something together that fits too loose than a little too tight. Your guitar is within "production tolerances." Play it and be happy.

i totally agree...

but with a prestige built in japan i personally would expect a better fit. the fuji plant that guitar is built in is arguably one of the best there. which is why i suspected some shrinkage. (2nd favorite sienfeld episode.)
Definitely natural climate shrinking. I don't think any guitars leave that factory as anything less than perfect from my experience.
Quote by Blooddrunk_Moon
Does this seiously affect the sustain or tone? Or it's only negligent differences?

Yes???
Quote by Blooddrunk_Moon
Does this seiously affect the sustain or tone? Or it's only negligent differences?

maybe minimally at most. i wouldn't worry that. i'd try to keep it humidified if possible. keep it away from the AC for a month and see where it's at since you are in a humid environment. it should expand back over time. if not maybe it's just one of those loser fitting necks as bob said. i've not known bob to be wrong at all honestly.
To be fair, I think you're just fine. There's not a notable gap between the body and neck; It looks to me more like the top (I'm guessing there is one) is not completely tight. That wont harm you any which way, don't worry.