I'm a big guy on funk, jazz, and rock. But lately I've been feeling bad and for some reason metal is appealing to me. I think it's my subconscious telling me to start using some metal and attach it to my musical soul along with the funk jazz and rock. I'm in the mood to shred and just sound dirty all the time! Can you guys suggest for me any metal bands that aren't TOO hard metal? I'm not looking for some screaming or hardcore metal stuff. Just metal as a bunch of shredding mother ****ers.. I hope that makes sense? Personally, I don't like the newer day stuff but I do enjoy old Metallica, Led Zepplin and Megadeth has a bunch that I really like. But idk, I still need some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Fair enough.
Well, the thing about metal is that it's very diverse. There's different genre's of metal. There's Progressive metal, Death metal, Black metal, Nu metal, thrash metal, the list goes on. I don't know what you like specifically but, almost everybody new likes this band.

Five Finger Death Punch, try them.
Quote by Jamora1124
Well, the thing about metal is that it's very diverse. There's different genre's of metal. There's Progressive metal, Death metal, Black metal, Nu metal, thrash metal, the list goes on. I don't know what you like specifically but, almost everybody new likes this band.

Five Finger Death Punch, try them.

lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Try and focus on REAL metal, rather than all the sellout shit you see nowadays. Avoid bands such as BFMV for instance. My favourite band is Nevermore- Jeff Loomis is hands down the best metal guitarist in the world. He can do it all, check out songs like "This Godless Endeavor". Also, if you want lighter metal, search for bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, Metallica BEFORE the Black Album, and Maiden BEFORE Dance of Death, I would recommend either.
If you like Metallica and Megadeth try some Trivium, they're not brilliant but borrow quite heavily from Metallica on 'The Crusade'
Try some old-ish stuff like Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Iron Maiden
Start off with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. They should open enough doors for you. Suitably shreddy, not that heavy, but great fun.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
If you don't want hard music don't listen to metal.

Five Finger Death Punch, as talented as they can be sometimes when playing, absolutely suck. Whiny vocals are for ****ing dipshit emo kids and have no place in metal.

Try listening to Anterior, and Daath, and Amon Amarth and Finntroll and Exodus and Arch Enemy and Ensiferum and Wintersun And Norther and Swashbuckle and Moonsorrow and Moorgate and Kalmah and Candlemass and Mercyful Fate (King Diamond) and Amoral and so on...
SLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becuase why would you start anywhere else?
I enjoy going on interviews with Dave Mustaine and Counting how many times it says 'Metallica'

On making a death metal bands logo:
Quote by rabidguitarist
Just duct tape a pen to a dogs face.

UK Hardcore FTW
thrice. their old stuff comes close to metal
periphery
trivium
alice in chains
avenged sevenfold (seriously.)
pantera

honestly, the newer stuff is a lot better than the 80's thrash metal thing.

edit:

IRON MAIDEN!!!!!
Last edited by Cheesepuff at May 17, 2010,
Metalsword

One of the first metal bands ever. They have shredding solos, operatic vocals, pounding drums. Check them out.

yeah, I copied s-m
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by bastardsodecent
Metallica BEFORE the Black Album.

Here now, nothing wrong with the Black Album, it was Load they turned to shit :P

I'd check out some old Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Sepultura, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Black Sabbath. Old stuff is FAR better than modern metal. Very few modern bands are worth listening to IMHO.
Quote by freddaahh
Start off with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. They should open enough doors for you. Suitably shreddy, not that heavy, but great fun.

This.

You don't want to expose yourself to the inaccessible because you run the big risk of turning yourself off from it. It's best not to think about it and let your curiosity take you from the ground base of the traditional classics (Priest and Maiden being great) and up.

After this, you might want to delve a little more into NWOBHM/traditional heavy metal as well as look to speed metal as the historical successor and logical evolution to your listening. Bands like Metallica, Artillery, Slayer and Watchtower would give you insight into the possibilities of where the more extreme side of metal can go.

For nwobhm, I suggest:

Satan - Court in the Act

Heavy Metal (Doom in this case, and epic at that):

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

Speed Metal:

Metallica - Kill 'em All
Artillery - Terror Squad
Watchtower - Energetic Disassembly
Slayer - Show No Mercy
I've found Jesus
Dream Theater
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.