When I first started playing guitar I thought the first song I will learn was Fade to Black by Metallica by just practising that one song stubbornly until I get it right. After a few days I noticed how ridiculous that was and soon decided to learn other songs.

10 months on I decided to get back onto it, and try and learn it. I already knew all the riffs besides the acoustic part just after the first solo. My only problem was the solos, which was also my problem on other songs I had tried (sweet child of mine, bohemian rhopsody, ironman) and the only solos I could actually do were the slow ones (exo-politics by Muse, and Ruby by Kaiser chiefs).

I first started off with the first solo, where its straight forward besides a bar of sixteenths which I originally couldn't hit. For the past 4 days I've been trying with these 16 notes, where I would use a metronome to eventually play upto the speed (116 bpms) and so far I have only been able to get upto about 80 bpm accurately, where I started at 60. Am I really supposed to be improving this slow? Yesterday I even went to bed with a headache which I blame on the constant beat of a metronome and the same repeated notes over and over again (enough to drive anyone mental).

I seem to just be getting angry at myself after a while. I used the theory of starting at a very slow speed, choosing the best way to play the notes and then slowly increasing the speed by 1 bpm everytime. Is there anyway I can make it easier for myself or should I just keep trying until I go mental? It was suggested that I should just try and play scales really fast instead, but this shouldn't make much difference as they are all combination of notes in the end.

p.s I know there are already enough threads about playing speed, but I wanted a answer specificied for me, opposed to just a generic one.
If you really want to nail the Sweet Child solo after 1 year of playing you'll probably have to practice intensively for several hours a day (some supervision by a good teacher could be of great help) and even then it wouldn't be a big shame if you still weren't able to play it perfectly. There are people who CAN get to that level a lot faster than us mortals (and man do I envy them) but there really is no reason for you to feel bad. You didn't pick the easiest solo's, so keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there in no-time dude

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahh thank you.

It also confuses me when some people on here say to improve your speed you shouldn't use a metronome but instead perfect the technique at a slower speed without using muscle memory. I don't know how this works because generally your skills get sloppier at a faster speed, because you can't think about it and you were so used to going at a slow speed. But then some people suggest using the metronome, which contradicts what the other people say.
I've been playing the Fade To Black solos for 12+ years and I still can't play those 16th notes in the first solo perfectly every time. It's annoyingly hard. Especially these four notes:

e|--15-14------------
b|---------15-------
g|------------14--

That part almost drove me insane at one point to. One solution is to bar the 14th fret for that whole lick. There's also a lot of tricky licks in the main solo like that. My advice is to figure out your own best techniques. You can see my version of the solo in my sig, I 'fake' several parts but it still turned out pretty good imo.

I've never found the 'gradually increasing speed with metronome' technique to work for me, as it takes the feeling and fun out of playing in my opinion.
Woah 12 years seems enough to make me give up. What would you say your best way to do it was? I feel like asking Kirk Hammett himself :P
I think the reason I can't play quick is because of my picking, I generally think my fretting hand is able to play it quick. Is it something to do with the strings because mine is the same strings that came with the guitar, and the bottom string doesn't sound that pleasant anyway.
You've increased enough in your coordination to go from 60 BPM to 80 BPM in four days, and you are viewing that slow? That's just nuts. Think about it this way. from 60 to 80 is a difference of 20 in 4 days, or 5BPM higher each day. If you could by some miracle continue at this speed, you would reach being able to play 180 BPM less than a month. Where it would take people years and years to become even close that number. If they do could ever do it at all.

Granted of course you are not talking about just going on a scale but an actual solo, but you still should get the point. You should be THRILLED at that sort of increase, by no means actually questioning it.

I would recommend both playing the song and scales to increase your overall playing. This way you aren't just locked into doing one thing over and over again.
Last edited by Dragonblood21 at May 17, 2010,
Quote by Johnbobman
Woah 12 years seems enough to make me give up. What would you say your best way to do it was? I feel like asking Kirk Hammett himself :P
I think the reason I can't play quick is because of my picking, I generally think my fretting hand is able to play it quick. Is it something to do with the strings because mine is the same strings that came with the guitar, and the bottom string doesn't sound that pleasant anyway.

I should probably clarify that I've known the solos for 12 years... actual time spent practicing or playing them over those years was probably more along the lines of an hour a day for a 5 or 6 months. To be honest I basically 'gave up' on it the first time I played tried to play it, but I worked on other songs and kept coming back to it every once in a while, and eventually it just got easier. Like you said "After a few days I noticed how ridiculous that was and soon decided to learn other songs." <-- I went through that probably 10 times with Fade To Black Each time it gets easier. It's important to stay both patient and persistent.

I think a large majority of players have the problem with the picking hand being the speed bottleneck, it's probably not your strings specifically, although I would definitely suggest changing them if they came with the guitar.

I'd suggest trying to play with the backing track and have a little more fun with it. If you get frustrated move to something else for a while, like something you know you can play perfect, build some confidence and come back to it later.
Just for some input as well, I've been playing for about 2 years or so and the quickest I can play atm without too many errors is the badge solo by cream.

I haven't learn too many others so far but I still feel like I'm improving everytime I pick up the guitar. Just haven't had much time to practice.

Keep on rocking dude,
Francis