So, I have a Black and Decker palm sander that has the spring arms to fasten the sandpaper to the bottom. I'm trying to refinish my girlfriends bass guitar for her, and every time I turn the sander on, and touch the body, the sand paper comes off the sander! Needless to say, I'm getting super P-O'ed at the thing...

Is my sander a piece of junk, or is this a design flaw? I work at Lowe's (electrical... not tools) and yesterday, made my way over to check out the palm sanders we carry and they all have this spring arm fastening system, so I'm wary of buying a new one.

I've sanded down a guitar body by hand before, and it wasn't fun... I don't want to have to resort to that again.

Thanks for any help!
Rip those little spring arms off. Then buy the sandpaper that has a sticky backside that's made for your sander. I'm a cabinet and finish-carpenter. Everytime I buy a new palm sander I rip those spring arms off. They never work and they can come off and damage your project.

Sometimes it's hard to find the right grit sandpaper (with the sticky backside.) When I can't find the right grit for my 4 inch sander i just buy some of that two-sided tape and put a few strips between the sander and and whatever grit (non-stickybackside) paper.
You should return it if you can. My sander has velcro for hook&loop sandpaper. Never had problems with it. Buy one like this.

Or you could glue a velcro pad it, trim it to size, and use hook & loop sandpaper with it.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Last edited by Handgrenade at May 17, 2010,
Sticky back ftw!
Also, if you do by a new sander, go for a palm-sized random orbital sander. The ones that run off compressed air are awesome . . . if you have an air compressor.
black and decker is shit ive never had a good one ditch it and get something like a makita or dewalt
Quote by tobuei
black and decker is shit ive never had a good one ditch it and get something like a makita or dewalt

+1

Also, +1 to orbital sanders.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
When it comes to sanders, I buy the cheap shit at Menards. A friend of mine and I bought a "nice" sander in high school and that thing just didn't hold up. My Menard's 1/4 sheet finishing sander has been used quite a bit and it's still holding up just fine, and the spring arm type deals hold the sand paper really well. And you know what? When it shits the bed I'm only out $15 and can go buy a new one.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by tobuei

Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. And you’d be surprised at all the internal parts the these two brands share.

I own several expensive sanders including Dewalt, but if you are not using them professionally or if you only use them occasionally then cheap sanders are the way to go.

So +1 for cheap sanders. Save your cash for nice guitar parts.
Quote by BufordMcNasty
Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. And you’d be surprised at all the internal parts the these two brands share.

I own several expensive sanders including Dewalt, but if you are not using them professionally or if you only use them occasionally then cheap sanders are the way to go.

So +1 for cheap sanders. Save your cash for nice guitar parts.

That's a shame, i'll make sure to avoid dewalt then. I'm not going to buy any more black and decker tools after the angle grinder i bought just stopped working for no apparent reason whatsoever it just wouldn't come on one day. And this was after having it for about 10 days. I agree that unless you're a professional, there isn't any point in getting really expensive tools. Which is precisely why you shouldn't waste your money on B&D tools because you can get better tools for cheaper. It's a shame B&D are so bad these days because we have a drill that must be about 40 or so years old by them and it's still working fine. Well i guess they don't make things as they used to, as they say.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."