Page 1 of 2
Look around you; everywhere you'll see marshall clones, mesa clones, soldano clones... but other than small boutique companies, hardly anyone makes Fender clones. Why is this? Do Fender bring the full force of the law down on companies who take their designs? Is it just that Fenders aren't so popular anymore?
well to be fair, Marshall stole some of Fender's circuitry early on
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
There are some fender clones and yes fender is VERY strict with their patents so that is why their clones aren't as abundant as some companies
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Mesa clones?

The only Mesa clones I've ever seen are the Bugera ones, the people from Mesa Boogie have loads of patents and stuff to prevent other companies to clone them.

And also every JTM-45 clone is a clone of a Bassman clone.

Also many companies try to make their cleans "Fender (sounding) cleans", one of the latest examples: Blackstar HT Venue amps with their F(ender)-style clean (refering to the Blackstar HT demo from Anderton's Music with Rob Chappers and a Blackstar employee).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Not sure about the legal thing - too many "super strats" on the streets for that. My guess is that Fender has a niche, and other companies realize that they would be better off copying something else instead.
cws92
Quote by lbj273
well to be fair, Marshall stole some of Fender's circuitry early on

Quote by JesusCrisp

And also every JTM-45 clone is a clone of a Bassman clone.

Yup. A Marshall JTM45 is a close facsimile of a 1959 Fender Bassman.

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

And a Sovtek Mig 50 is a facsimile of both of those.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at May 17, 2010,
^^ Correct! JTM45 I believe the model was but I'm ot 100% sure on that one. Mesa Boogie started out by revamping Fender amps and adding their own innovations on top of that.
I think it's also that Fender amps are generally cleaner amps to begin with lacking the extra gain many want. So for cleans no one realyy tries to comete with them and for massive gains clones go after the hot rodded models.
Moving on.....
I dunno man, it seems to me almost every major production amp out there is, in some ways, a Fender clone. I think you're really just asking 'why hasn't Bugera cloned Fenders?' Which is just because Bugera is for metalheads... IMO at least.

Not to mention the absurd number of boutique Fender clones out there...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 17, 2010,
fender keeps their prices reasonable. really no point in cloning a 800 dollar drri
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by tubetime86
I think you're really just asking 'why hasn't Bugera cloned Fenders?' Which is just because Bugera is for metalheads...
Quote by JesusCrisp
Mesa clones?

The only Mesa clones I've ever seen are the Bugera ones, the people from Mesa Boogie have loads of patents and stuff to prevent other companies to clone them

So how 'bout that brand? I mean, I haven't played any but to be honest you guys are making me curious. How do they compare with actual Mesas?

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at May 17, 2010,
There are tons of clones of fenders out there, certainly far more than there are of Mesa and Soldano.
False premise is false.
Quote by tubetime86
I dunno man, it seems to me almost every major production amp out there is, in some ways, a Fender clone. I think you're really just asking 'why hasn't Bugera cloned Fenders?' Which is just because Bugera is for metalheads... IMO at least.
The V series and the BC30 are definitely not aimed at metalheads..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Roc8995
There are tons of clones of fenders out there, certainly far more than there are of Mesa and Soldano.
False premise is false.

that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Dr. Z EZG-50. Blackface clone, just better than Fender could ever make it!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Kanthras

I'm not even convinced the V series was aimed at musicians.
^Really? I hard they were decent. All subjective I guess
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I hear you. I think the problem lies with the fact that you're in the UK. there are tons of people offering marshall and vox clones here, but very few offering Fender clones. In the states, it's a different story.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^And in the states you can get Silverfaces cheap
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Kanthras

I don't really mean their offerings, more their overall image and the target market it goes after...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
^And in the states you can get Silverfaces cheap

aye. i mean, there are a couple of ampmakers here offering fender clones (i have no idea what they're like, i haven't tried them), and a couple more who'll build, say, a weber or mojotone kit for you, but there's certainly not the amount offering british-style amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tubetime86
I don't really mean their offerings, more their overall image and the target market it goes after...

Originally, yes. They seem to be branching out, though.

Tbh, that's a pretty sweet pic.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

mesa started off cloning/modifing fenders. the first mark I is basically a fender
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
<<<<<3 ^^

I loled.

Personally that was a wayyy queer pic. Whats with that SG?

On the subject matter i see champ clones pop up from time to time. They just arent really the in thing. Everyone wants balls to the walls gain and huge half stacks.
Quote by beckyjc
<<<<<3 ^^

I loled.

Personally that was a wayyy queer pic. Whats with that SG?

i never noticed that, it's a funky headstock.

and i know, who gigs in black pants?

yea, on topic, fralin, allen, all the tweed clones known to man. there's plenty of fender clones. some could say that some ampegs are fender clones.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 17, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
i never noticed that, it's a funky headstock.

What, you expected it to be an original Gibson SG?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

because the most expensive fender amp is still relatively affordable compared to diezels and mesas.
Quote by Kanthras

shoudda known it would be a clone.
Quote by Kanthras

They may have started with an SG and photoshopped the shape and headstock. I've seen a lot of ads where people are playing Gibson guitars, but the Gibson logo has been removed.

ANYWAY, about Fender clones. I was under the impression that all the boutique folks clone fender amps.
As for the big name manufacturers, I don't think they rely on clones as much. Yes, a lot of amps are based on Fender designs from many years ago, but apart from the occasional "British crunch" and "F-style clean", it doesn't seem like it's their goal to produce an exact clone of a particular amplifier. I'm probably wrong, though.

No I won't mention Bugera cos I've only played the 333 and thought it was average.
Quote by gregs1020

shoudda known it would be a clone.

Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by sashki
They may have started with an SG and photoshopped the shape and headstock. I've seen a lot of ads where people are playing Gibson guitars, but the Gibson logo has been removed.

I saw an ad for Musicians Institute in a guitar mag, and it showed Paul Gilbert with a PGM, but with a very obviously shooped on blank headstock. Needless to say, I lol'd. And PG actually used to teach at MI
Quote by which ones pink
I saw an ad for Musicians Institute in a guitar mag, and it showed Paul Gilbert with a PGM, but with a very obviously shooped on blank headstock. Needless to say, I lol'd. And PG actually used to teach at MI

Yeah, I've seen that one too. I guess it's cos MI aren't associated with Ibanez
Also Fender amps still sound like fender amps pretty much. I know some companies where this isn't true at all. A DRRI and a TRRI aren't going to sound exactly like original bf's all the time...but they sound close enough.
The people that do Fender clones pretty much are trying to nail that 1 percent of tweed and bf fenders that sounded omg more amazing then the rest. Bruno, Victoria, Carr, etc etc. Or they are putting their own twist on a blackface...DR. Z EZG-50 which from what I've heard might be the best fender ever. Still need to try one though.

On the affordable side there is www.littledogamps.com and a bunch of other small smaller companies doing cheaper builds but like there's really no point when a DRRI can be had for like 300 bucks.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Roc8995
I'm not even convinced the V series was aimed at musicians.

This.

The V Series sucks. BALLS.

TS: There are tons of boutique Fender clones. A lot of companies have tried their best to get around the patents to make a Fender clean channel. The JTM45 was an almost direct clone of a '59 Bassman. Dr. Z amps are pretty much Fender clones or Fender based.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
On top of all the Fender clones that are out there it’s also worth noting that just about every modeling amp out there does a pretty good job replicating Fender cleans. There’s even a line of pedals that specifically replicate classic Fender amps. And all the decent amp modeling software has the classic Fenders amps. So Fender has been cloned just about every way imaginable.
Page 1 of 2