I've been unofficially managing this band for about a year now (actually more like five months considering they were on hiatus for a bit). Most of what I've been doing for them is booking out-of-town shows and just giving them general career advice, and I also got them a bit of online publicity last year.

Lately they're starting to get really good shows without me having to book them, they just got three reviews and an interview from their last two shows, they're planning to tour this summer, and they're about to record a new EP. Basically, things are really looking up for them.

The problem here is with me. I feel like I don't know how to help them anymore. This isn't normal for me at all. When it comes to management, I always know exactly what to do, and I'm hardly ever wrong. Now the only thing that comes to mind is to get them to sign a management contract, but I don't want to ask them to sign anything until I'm sure that they trust me 100% and they know that I'm the right one for the job.

So I was hoping to get a band's perspective on this. If someone you've never met before but who has a fairly good track record were to approach your band about management, what would it take for that person to prove himself trustworthy and competent? How do you know that this guy really knows what he's doing, and that he's not going to try to screw you over?
For me personally, it takes a lot before I would be able to trust someone to the degree that I would never believe that they would screw me over.

Now with that being said, I don't think it would be very hard to prove yourself to them. I think if you've booked them some good shows, and have definitely got them off to a good start, they should have a bit of confidence in you. A big thing to remember is that as long as you're genuinely out to help them, and not just use them for your own benefit, they will be able to see that.

If you want to approach them about a contract, just be very direct with them. Ask them if they would be comfortable with having you as their legally contracted manager. When you write up the contract, remember that a lot of people don't understand all the in's and out's. Be willing to explain everything as simply as humanly possible, and in a way that they know you're genuinely in this for their best interest. Of course you're going to make money as well, they should know that, but you've definitely got to let them know its not just about make money for yourself.

As well, don't be afraid to just get to know them on a more personal level. I know a few big name athletes, musicians, actors, atc. are actually good friends with their managers.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
You said yourself, you don't know how to help them. Sounds like they're just fine without; they're booking good shows and getting press that you did not set them up with. Why should they pay you for stuff they're capable of doing on their own?
Honestly, if I was in their shoes, I'd thank you for your help, and send you on your way. Unless you can get them to the next level, you're dead weight.
you can really trust someone when your pissed and they get you to have a tattoo of a barcode on the bottom of your foot....
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by liquidcourage
Most of what I've been doing for them is booking out-of-town shows and just giving them general career advice, and I also got them a bit of online publicity last year.
You should have been paid for your services. If not, your own fault.

Quote by liquidcourage
I feel like I don't know how to help them anymore.
Then do nothing.

Quote by liquidcourage
Now the only thing that comes to mind is to get them to sign a management contract,
Why would they sign a contract for things they can do themselves? This makes no sense. It benefits you, not them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Are you asking about going on to try to manage another band, or just maintain anything with this one?

And other than the stuff SomeoneYouKNew said, I already see opportunity to at least keep checking in with them when they record their upcoming EP. There's a lot of things you could do with helping like with promotion or distribution... ?(I'm not really qualified to give music business advice, just working on logic, but I'm trying to help anyways.)

I dunno, from a band perspective, It'd be nice to know someone who has been able to help my band in a managerial sense, even if we're able to do it ourselves for the most part. There could be times when they need a break or something...
Last edited by JDizzle787 at May 23, 2010,