Hi guys, I'm off to uni in September and I need a new laptop as the one I have at the moment is terrible (overheats, riddled with viruses etc).
Just wondering what you guys would suggest!
I need it for, Music, Football Manager, Internet, Essays and running Sibelius (as I'm doing a music degree).

I was looking at a macbook, but 800 quid is a bit too expensive.

So, about 300-500 quid would be great.

Cheers
Does it have to be a laptop? If you're gonna run sibelius and games I'd go for a desktop. You could easily afford a good desktop and a laptop for under the prize of a macbook. The laptop wouldn't be that great, though, but if you're only gonna use it for taking notes, essays and interneting.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Hi guys, I'm off to uni in September and I need a new laptop as the one I have at the moment is terrible (overheats, riddled with viruses etc).
Just wondering what you guys would suggest!
I need it for, Music, Football Manager, Internet, Essays and running Sibelius (as I'm doing a music degree).

I was looking at a macbook, but 800 quid is a bit too expensive.

So, about 300-500 quid would be great.

Cheers

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/32708/orange-amps-releases-computer-amp
You'll need a Windows based laptop because of your compatibility needs. I would suggest going with any deal that has a warranty and comes with recovery disks. That is all.

Good luck on the music degree btw.
i got a HP dv7 3020sa and its awesome. AMD processor, windows7 ultimate (upgraded from premium) and awesome specs. was only £550 on sale in PC world. so i'd reccomend something from the HP DV7 range personally.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If you can afford to do a nice desktop (for your main priorities) and a netbook (note taking and whatnot) I'd go that route. Affording a nice laptop is difficult... especially one that will have a soundcard good enough for what you will probably want out of it (in terms of recording and output quality). Desktops, you can drop a top of the line sound card into for 100 quid and slightly lower end (read: last years model) for a lot less.
Quote by shmikeyboy
Toshiba Satellite Series. W7, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, <£500

satellite = ewwww if you're gonna go for a toshiba you go for the equium series!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Kensai
Does it have to be a laptop? If you're gonna run sibelius and games I'd go for a desktop. You could easily afford a good desktop and a laptop for under the prize of a macbook. The laptop wouldn't be that great, though, but if you're only gonna use it for taking notes, essays and interneting.

It's just for sake of ease. Lugging a desktop from Bangor back home every so often will be a jaunt. If I had to get a laptop, what would you suggest?

Quote by Echohead
You'll need a Windows based laptop because of your compatibility needs. I would suggest going with any deal that has a warranty and comes with recovery disks. That is all.

Good luck on the music degree btw.

yeah I was thinking that.
And cheers
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
yeah I was thinking that.
And cheers

No problem man. Also remember with a laptop, you can't exactly upgrade your RAM easily, so get one that will last a good few years (I'm thinking at least 3GB) You got to be really cautious with laptops. I may as well advise not going with Nvidia on Windows Vista because it will only slow down performance and yes indeed, give you a headache!
I have a Toshiba Satellite Series. I bought the middle cost one (it was $900). I love everything about it, save for its recording quality. The soundcard is just not built for input whether you have a nice mic or not.

Everything else is peachy though. Might call Toshiba and see if they will do a custom build for you... they tend to be pretty good about that.. say you want this model BUT with this soundcard or whatever extension you want.
Quote by Dempsey68
i got a HP dv7 3020sa and its awesome. AMD processor, windows7 ultimate (upgraded from premium) and awesome specs. was only £550 on sale in PC world. so i'd reccomend something from the HP DV7 range personally.

this. HP dv7 series is FTW! plus the imprint finish on it makes it look way cooler than all the other laptops!
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
I need a laptop as well but I'm considering a Macbook....Now to assemble $1200...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I need a laptop as well but I'm considering a Macbook....Now to assemble $1200...

If you do go ahead and purchase a Macbook, it will never let you down.

There's a reason that Apple products are priced the way that they are.
Quote by Echohead

There's a reason that Apple products are priced the way that they are.

And it isn't quality
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
And it isn't quality

Oh no you didn't!