I've just figured out that I'm one lazy son of a b*tch when it comes to learnig guitar solos. At least I think I am and I just want some information from other guitar players.

The problem is I really can't concentrate when I'm trying to learn guitar solos. When I'm learning just riffs and choruses I don't have any MAJOR problems but when I't comes to the solo part I just can't stick to it (I use guitar pro 5). I usualy just learn a couple of notes and then just give up because I just listen to the whole solo and decide that its to long and complicated.

So for now I just want to know how much time does it take you guys to learn a for example a You Shook Me All Night Long solo? If it takes you more than 1 day, how much time per day do you spend learning that solo (just the note sequence, not the exact timing)?

-------------------------------------------------------
I guess I should also mention that i play guitar for 1 and a half years. I'm self-taught - never had a single lesson. So far I know:
-Knockin' On Heavens Door 1st solo - Guns N' Roses
-Paradise City 1st solo - Guns N' Roses
- Nothing else Matters solo (about 90 % of the timing)

And I'm working on the You Shook Me All Night Long solo but I'm giving up at the final part :S

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Well, I'm a 99% rhythm guitarist, but that solo is very easy. I think I can learn it in 15 minutes, not more. Just learn 5-10 notes at time and make sure you are playing them cleanly and slowly, then speed up.
The thing is I don't really have a problem with learning the notes. I just can't stick to the learning. A learn about 5 seconds of the solo and then just say f*ck it, I'm done with this crap and start improvising and jamming to tracks. I guess my main problem is that I'm not comtorable with the lack of freedom with writen solos. Infact I'm going to have to make a really strict decision for my practicing scedule because all I do is just improvise and jam. I never do exercises, never learn a song for more than 15 minutes... I guess I'm a freedom addict

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
The problem is that you lack discipline. You've got make make yourself want to learn a solo all the way through, and them make yourself stick to it. No one else is going to do it for you.

Improvising to jam tracks is great and all, but learning other people's solos puts the scales that you've learned in context. It also puts more flavor in your improvising because you will have picked up alot of things from learning other people's solos. Sure you can learn the minor pentatonic and be fine and dandy, but learning other peoples solos puts it in context. You could learn a SRV solo and then a David Gilmour solo to experience two completely different ways of using the pentatonic scale. It's like writing. You can learn vocabulary and grammar, but only by reading other people's works will you see them in context and be inspired.

So work on your discipline and really work on a solo. Learning a complete solo doesn't give you instant gratifification, but you've really got to stick with it. It'll pay off in the end. Plus work on having a somewhat consistent practice routine, with exercises. They build your technical abilities, and if you're working on increasing your speed, always use a metronome.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yup, I totally agree. As I said I'm one lazy son of a bitch. Actally I've been searching the net for suggestions or lets say blueprints for daily guitar timetables. So far I'm finding this one the most sensable:
http://www.myguitarsolo.com/schedule.htm

Now I couldn't agree more that I need ear training - I'm not exactly gifted at that part.
But I still have two questions:

- In this time table it says that you just use 20 minutes for learning songs and thats it. Is that really the best way or is it better that I just go through the whole song in one day?

- Whats the best theory to start on?
So far I know the pentatonic, blues scales and I'm working on the Minor and Major scales. I understand how Minor and Major chords are constructed out of these but its preety much the end of the line there. Do I just pick a guitar theory site and start reading or is there a prefered sequence of topics that it's best to follow ?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at May 18, 2010,