I've searched for threads covering this but I can't find anything. I'm considering getting a compressor to my setup for live gigs, can you suggest a good compressor to use for bass rack or stomp box versions I wanna spend up to about £100 and yes I will buy second hand. The other thing is where abouts in my signal chain would the compressor go?

I've heard the DBX 166 is okay to use with bass but I'm really not too sure.

Cheers
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
any good quality compressor should work well for bass.

if you're on a budget, you might want to check out some gear by presonus.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
The DBX166x is a fine rackmount compressor. If you are looking at a stompbox, Boss, MXR and others make good ones. The EBS Multi-Comp is probably the best that I've come across. It sells for US$200.00.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
my favorite two compressors are the DBS and the BBE
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
I only really want the compressor for the slap bass songs I play, do you think it would be best to get a stombox?

and cheers for advice guys
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
Quote by LD1992
I only really want the compressor for the slap bass songs I play, do you think it would be best to get a stombox?

and cheers for advice guys

Well, a stompbox would certainly be easier to turn on and off while on stage, unless you get a separate foot controller for your rackmount compressor. Take a look at the Boss compressor or the MXR DynaComp. They're both good compressors and they don't cost too much. The EBS is, as I said, the best pedal compressor I've run across, but it costs twice as much as the Boss. If you've got the cash and don't mind spending it, then by all means pick one up.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
http://ovnilab.com/

Very comprehensive list of compressor reviews.

Includes a top picks section for a variety of budgets.

Looks like the Carl Martin Classic Opto might be what you're looking for if you're happy with a pedal. They seem to go for between £70-£80 and will be one of the next things I intend to buy
Thanks I'll look into the ones you guys mentioned.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
I picked up a Live 6 bass floor pod just to mess with since the price has come way down, about $100. The compressor is actually very good on that thing.

As a bonus I really like the rock (ampeg SVT) and brit (marshal) amp emulators, really adds to my tone. The rest is pretty much not useful to me but for those things alone I'll be using it for a bit, and you never know when I will want to add some chorus or octave in the future since its there and not bad sounding.
Ebs multicomp is the best stompbox compressor i have usd, Very simple, very effectitve at what its supposed to do, Does what it says on the box really, But a tad expensive maybe.

The Dbx160A or the 166 are very good but have more tweaking options which with the compressor and in unknowing hands will be your downfall.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm considering a rack compressor simply because I've studied Music Tech at A Level, and I record a fair bit so I'm okay with compressor settings etc. I guess I just need to have at look at a few different options.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
I support the 166xl from dbx. It really helps keep slaps from being muddy and really rolls the icepick off the highs.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5