As you may know from a review a posted some weeks ago, I have a Blackstar HT venue stage 60.

I was playing it today and it just randomly stoped working, it then became very quiet even on the gain channels with the master volume all the way up. I fiddled about with the volumes and stuff, turned it on and off again, still nothing. I tried 4 different cables, 3 different guitars, took the effects pedals away, even tried it in two different rooms with different plug sockets, still really quiet and shit, like too quiet to even play in my bedroom.

Had a look in the back, all the valves are fine, nothing seems to be obviously wrong in there.

So I'm not happy at all, my opinion on Blackstar has definatly been influenced. That's the second amp I've bought this year that has broken, so I'll be demanding my money back.

But I need an amp.

This time I'm thinking about going for something with a simple circuit, maybe even just a single channel, and just getting some pedals to act as channels instead.

I need it to be all valve, preferably reverb (not essential), loud enough to gig and play in band practice with, good cleans, maybe some nice distortion in there but that can be sorted with pedals. I like my distortion to get very heavy, thick and saturated, but not many amps that I can afford seem to be able to do that.

My budget is £700 (uk)

I'm open to head+cab, combo and distortion pedal suggestions.
(I already have a big muff, hot tubes, and BOSS OD1.)

I'd rather buy new.

Any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks in advance

Fuzz. X
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The amp that blew is a Blackstar HT venue stage 60.

Everything else electrical in my house works fine, so I doubt it's that.

Cool, I'll check that out.

Thanks.

Any more suggestions people? I wanna check out as many amps as possible.

Also good distortion/OD pedals that might not be obvious.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Anyone help?
and I just put a Blackstar HT Studio 20 on laybuy
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by sebastian_96
and I just put a Blackstar HT Studio 20 on laybuy

I wouldn't worry too much man, they are decent amps.
I just went and got my money back for it, the guy said that he's never heard anything bad about blackstar reliability before and that he was suprised that mine was going wrong. I seem to have bad luck with amps you see, I must have got a bad one.

I'm sure your ht-20 will be fine
Not sure how much they go for in the UK but the new Rockerverb 50 combo sounds perfect. If that's to pricey, you can check out the Rocker 30 combo, though that's fairly limited in its clean voicing.
Quote by Shabadoo
Not sure how much they go for in the UK but the new Rockerverb 50 combo sounds perfect. If that's to pricey, you can check out the Rocker 30 combo, though that's fairly limited in its clean voicing.

The Rockerverb does sound pretty perfect, sadly its £1200 here in the UK, I only have £700

The Rocker 30 would probably do just fine. I kinda like Orange amps too, it retails at £550 or so here, so I can afford that, but the Orange cabs are really expensive arn't they? I only need a 2x12. Kinda needs to be an Orange cab with the head for visual purposes :P

I'm definatly putting down Orange as a strong maybe.

Any other suggestions anyone ?

Thanks for the replys so far.
Quote by FuzzLove
The Rockerverb does sound pretty perfect, sadly its £1200 here in the UK, I only have £700

The Rocker 30 would probably do just fine. I kinda like Orange amps too, it retails at £550 or so here, so I can afford that, but the Orange cabs are really expensive arn't they? I only need a 2x12. Kinda needs to be an Orange cab with the head for visual purposes :P

I'm definatly putting down Orange as a strong maybe.

Any other suggestions anyone ?

Thanks for the replys so far.

If you aren't dead set on a head and cab the combo is only 599 from GAK

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rk30c-rockerverb/12467
Cheers man, I'd prefer a 2x12 but I could probably work with a single speaker.
The head and cab looks cooler though :P
I'm definatly warming to Orange, still gonna look at other brands though.

The Rocker has that natural clean channel, anyone know anything about that?
You could get the harley Benton cab from Thomann - 2x12, V30s, £160. For the money it is very impressive (I've had a play about on one of my friends and it's brilliant - JCM2000 head).

Alternatively you could probably get an ENGL Screamer/Thunder. My Screamer is all valve, brilliant cleans, decent crunch and a solid pair of gain channels. I know you said you were thinking of going with a single channel/pedals, but if you can get one second hand (eBay has a couple at the moment I think) then they're great, built like tanks too. The Thunder doesn't always have built in reverb, although you could always just throw something like a Holy Grail in the FX loop.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at May 18, 2010,
Supposedly, the natural clean channel is designed to really let the type of guitar your playing shine through. So if you play an LP with some vintage PAFs or a Strat neck single coil, it'll let the characteristics of the guitar shine through.
The ENGL screamer seems pretty cool, 50 watts is probably perfect, I can go to 30 though, 60 was slightly too much. It's £950 though, so with a cab it's gonna be expensive, I'm not too keen on going used really, unless it's like a super deal, I bought a used Fender twin once, it broke twice.

If the amp dosn't have reverb, I'd like to be able to have enought money left over to buy some reverb.

The natural channel sounds awsome, I have some very old Seymour Duncan pickups in my tele (apparently hand wound by the man himself), I'd love to see what they sound like with no colouration from the amp, if that is really what the amp does.
Quote by consecutive e
Surely the amp has a warranty? Couldn't you just like... get it fixed?

Yeah man, already taken it back and got my money back this morning.