Hey, if i've got a head, would i need to buy an A (angled cab) cab before a b (straight) cab.
So say i've got an amp head, would i have to buy a for example marshall 1960A before a marshall 1960B or does it not matter? Could i just use a 1960B straight into my amp head?
Thank You! \m/
Think of it logically. What's below the head doesn't really matter. They're only speakers. But if you get the B cab, Your head looks a bit weird on top of it. Get the A cab, as it's designed to have a head sat on top of it. Then when you have the dough, get the B cab if you need it. At least that's my understanding of it. (I have a 15 Watt Marshall MG lol)
Quote by dial-a-death
Think of it logically. What's below the head doesn't really matter. They're only speakers. But if you get the B cab, Your head looks a bit weird on top of it. Get the A cab, as it's designed to have a head sat on top of it. Then when you have the dough, get the B cab if you need it. At least that's my understanding of it. (I have a 15 Watt Marshall MG lol)

What? lol

Choose whichever you want. 1960B has more internal volume, apparantly. But to be honest, just choose the one you like the look of. They're both made of the same material, and have the same speakers/wattage rating. You'll get a slight difference in tone aswell, i believe, but nothing huge unless you're a tone buff.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by dial-a-death

They're both designed to have heads set on top of them......

Go for whichever you want, angled cabs angle the sound upwards more and will sound a little different than straight cabs, but go for whatever you want, it's mostly personal preference.
Defender of the Llama
Thanks its because ive found it hard to find an angled cab which is cheap for a few gigs. So i think i'll have to get a cheap straight one, because ive found one at a reasonable price. Thanks
Quote by pigeonmafia

1960B has more internal volume, apparantly.

People claim that bottom cabs / B cabs have more low end because the box is squared off and not slanted...so there more space inside the cabinet. I have two oversized mesas at my home studio right now...both with V30s...mine is slanted, the borrowed cab is straight. I can't hear a difference at all...at any volume...with any guitar or mic setup
Exactly the same thing, any difference in sound from the slightly different shape is barely noticable, personally I prefer straight cabs with the head on top, looks better.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
my point was that a head looks better on a slanted cab than a straight cab. I wasn't aware there was any difference in sound between the B and the A.
Quote by dial-a-death
my point was that a head looks better on a slanted cab than a straight cab. I wasn't aware there was any difference in sound between the B and the A.

that's a matter of opinion. I personally like the look of a 212 on top of an ATA case with the head and rack gear in it, and a pole-dancing midget on top. whatever.

+1 to not much difference in the Mesa cabs (I found this true also), but cabs by some makers vary greatly, Marshall comes to mind... some of Randall's newer stuff.

Lots of builders are taking a page out of the Mesa OS/Orange PPC playbook and are going for a 'bigger' sound out of their cabs with deeper resonance. the OS cabs obviously have more space inside their closed back design, and both are 13ply birch (very solid), but there are also subtle differences like baffle size/placement (keyword there is SUBTLE).
You might hear a difference in sound if you A/B switched them back and forwards while standing there, but walk out of the room when it's switched and then come back in and I'd bet a kg of yak fat that you wouldn't be able to pick it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification