So, I was playing my amp fairly loud (about 3/4 volume up, no master volume, just full blown overdrive) and after about 15 mins I heard a "pop" sort of noise, and then I loud whistling came through the speakers that would not stop even with the volume on amp and guitar the whole way down. I immediately turned the amp off, and as the amp powered down the noise went away.

In all the years of using tube amps, I have yet to blow a tube, so I have no idea what to be looking for. What does that sound like to you guys? tube oscillation? blown tube? something worse?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Amp is a Vox AC30 Heritage Handwired Series.

EDIT: amp still turns on, there is no power issue, now that it has cooled down I have not yet tried to turn it on again though, I don't want it to get damaged.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 17, 2010,
Well, let's put it this way. Treat it like a blown tube, 'cause if it's anything else, it's gonna be messy
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Well, let's put it this way. Treat it like a blown tube, 'cause if it's anything else, it's gonna be messy

I'm gonna bring it to my tech tonight, I'm willing to dick around with the internals on my other amps, but not this one, I am absolutely in no way prepared to shell out the kind of cash it would cost to replace it.
nope, it's fubar. $50 for it nao.

send it here now, i need a nice coffee table.

seriously, yes it sounds like a tube went, that would be my first impression.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
check to see if there are any dark spots on the tubes. does the light come on when you power it up? if not it might be a blown fuse. either way, take it to a tech.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Hm, thinking back it has been very crackly and "poppy" lately. Almost certainly a dead tube.

I have been through worn tubes many times, I have yet to experience the drama of a full out blown tube though, awesome.

Quote by TK1
check to see if there are any dark spots on the tubes. does the light come on when you power it up? if not it might be a blown fuse. either way, take it to a tech.

No, all the power is on, its not a fuse issue.

Anyone got any recommendations as to what tube brand I should experiment with here? I'm quite partial to JJ EL84s, but I've always wanted to try NOS tubes.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 17, 2010,