It appears that I will be acquiring an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in perfect condition for $150 in the next week, which is a great deal until you find out that it's a sparkly purple Les Paul. It looks very similar to this one I found on google:

Now, I'm a flaming heterosexual, so a purple Les Paul is out of the question. However, the price is right and I've been dying to try my hand at a material finish, and I already have the perfect fabric picked out. My only problem is that I've never seen a tutorial on how to do a material finish with a guitar that already has binding. If it didn't, it'd be easy, just cut the fabric along the edge of the guitar/binding route, then add binding afterward. But with the binding already there, I'd have to carefully cut the fabric at the edge of the binding all the way around or figure out how to strip the binding off the guitar and then glue in new binding once I'm done. I'm not sure how to remove binding, but both options seem like they would be a huge pain in the ass. So, what's your advice?

Btw, there will be a project thread as soon as I actually have the guitar.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by twat
That guitar actually looks good.
I disagree, so if I get it I will be refinishing it. I could just spray it blue or something, but I've done a lot of painting and I've never tried a material finish so that's what I plan to do.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

I LOVE that finish! Pity the headstock looks like arse.
No Epiphone LP is ever a good deal unless I'm getting paid to take it. But enough of my opinions, and on to your question.

*sigh* if you are hellbent on a refinish, I would attempt to remove the binding with steam, razor blades, putty knives, and loads of patience. Then do the material and install binding as you said.
you don't liek pruples?

you could get one of those steam injectors, but that would require drilling a hole to put the needle. you could drill into the body diagonally towards the binding (the holes would be covered by the fabric) but it all just seems like too much trouble.
Quote by Invader Jim
you could get one of those steam injectors, but that would require drilling a hole to put the needle. you could drill into the body diagonally towards the binding (the holes would be covered by the fabric) but it all just seems like too much trouble.
I've never removed binding from anything before, but I'd think all I have to do is get the end to lift a little, and as long as I'm careful not to break a piece off I should be able to peel the rest of it free without too much trouble. I'm sure it'll tear some wood out with it, but that's fixable.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by DuctTapeNinja
Now, I'm a flaming heterosexual, so a purple Les Paul is out of the question. However, the price is right and I've been dying to try my hand at a material finish, and I already have the perfect fabric picked out.

This just seemed funny to me.

there is a good material finish tutorial on Projectguitar.com and I'd imagine that you could just trim it so you can still see the binding

Also, nothing wrong with purple, after all it's the color of royalty.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Also, nothing wrong with purple, after all it's the color of royalty.

And the artist once again known as Prince.
My question is are you only putting the fabric on top? If it's going on the whole guitar, just glue the fabric right over it. If it's only going on the top, you can cut it flush with the side and paint over the binding on the sides. If you want the binding, you can just reroute the ledge using the proper binding bit.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
My question is are you only putting the fabric on top? If it's going on the whole guitar, just glue the fabric right over it. If it's only going on the top, you can cut it flush with the side and paint over the binding on the sides. If you want the binding, you can just reroute the ledge using the proper binding bit.
Les Pauls without binding just look wrong to me, so I definitely want to have binding. I'd just reroute it, except I'm not sure I can do that with the top already carved. I imagine I might be able to rig up a piece of plywood to support my router at the correct height around the perimeter with a small gap between it and the body all around. But I don't know.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Last edited by DuctTapeNinja at May 18, 2010,
How about you send me that guitar and I send you my cherryburst Les Paul knockoff? You get a pretty Les Paul, I get a god damn amazing purple Les Paul, everyone's happy.
Quote by Mike-T93
How about you send me that guitar and I send you my cherryburst Les Paul knockoff? You get a pretty Les Paul, I get a god damn amazing purple Les Paul, everyone's happy.
I tell you what, if you find the ad I found it on and manage to set up a deal with the person I'm buying it from, I'll let you buy it. This seller is being a little bit of a pain in the ass. He/She won't give me his/her phone number, and he/she only checks their email every other day, so I've been trying to meet up to buy this thing for over a week now.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Dude, why do we like reporting threads so much? I don't know why. Tell me. You must.

Couldn't you use a heat gun for the binding? They are just glued on.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Couldn't you use a heat gun for the binding? They are just glued on.
If I had one, maybe. Although I'd be a little leery of the binding melting and just causing a big melty plastic mess.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by DuctTapeNinja
If I had one, maybe. Although I'd be a little leery of the binding melting and just causing a big melty plastic mess.

Right, plastic binding. Don't try a heat gun.
If it was wood, it'd be do-able with a heat gun.
My Les Paul knockoff has the finish over the binding. If you try to remove the binding or route it out, you need to be careful of the finish on the bottom and sides chipping or cracking. To avoid an incompatibility with the exisiting finish, you may want to strip it before you do anything else.
do you have a router table? if so, that could be used to route the binding.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Aright, guys, I have bad news. My computer crapped out today, so I have to spend the money I was going to spend on the sparkly purple Les Paul Standard on a new hard drive. But I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 that could use some customizing. I'm going to rebuild it up to Les Paul Standard spec and finish it with the material finish I was planning for the purple Les Paul. I'll put up a thread for it pretty soon.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Honestly, who needs a computer?
Mine broke an I lasted 2 months untill taking it in to get repaired($200 bucks. So ridiculous!)
Maybe all those secret pr0nz collections didn't pay off...