Why does everyone hate line 6 amps on here xD and my friend was wondering why people think marshall amps are so great..
Because they're distortions sound terrible. And because an entire generation of rock and roll players used a marshall to create their sound.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I beg to differ on both. I think its stereotypical to say that about marshall amps. Just because an entire generation used it does that really mean its good? and The distortion and tones on line 6 amps aren't bad I really dont see anything wrong with them.
Marshall are an iconic amplifier, but everyone on here seems to hate them. Most of the time they're either riding the bandwagon, or blaming them for the MG and AVT series (which are bad).

I personally have never managed to get a tone I liked out of a marshall, but then I never really got to try any of the best ones. I've heard marshalls that sounded awesome, too.
Last edited by sashki at May 17, 2010,
I see what you mean sashki but i think i get a good tone myself out of my crate and with a behringer pedal xD
Quote by Tim.Paragon
I see what you mean sashki but i think i get a good tone myself out of my crate and with a behringer pedal xD

Well, good for you. Tone is subjective, anyway. If you like it, that's all that matters, no-one's gonna argue with you.
Tone is subjective so saying something sucks dosen't sound right. Saying you personally didn't like the sound is ok. Its all opinion. However...

Spiders are ok as the 15 or 30 watt versions, but a spider stack is not ok. There is much better combos out there than a spider stack for the same price. The mgs are even worse as they are higher prices.

As for the marshall thing, its mostly bandwagoning. I made my way over to a big music shop last week and tried out a bunch of amps. Alot of tubed marshalls. The only decent ones IMO were the JVM and the jcm2000, but I would bever buy one new.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
the entry level marshalls and line 6 get the hate. not both brands completely.

i think there is plenty of love for amps from both mfgs. The Spider Valve, flextones, Vettas are very good line 6 amps.

Marshall is kind of selling out to overseas mfg. that kinda sucks. but they will still make high end stuff in the UK.

Plenty of old Marshalls still get love, for good reason.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
+1 Greg

Quote by NosralTserrof
Because they're distortions sound terrible. And because an entire 5 generations of rock and roll players used a marshall to create their sound.

Wrong. Line 6 actually makes some nice amps but the Spiders are like little computers with a big speaker.

oh, and fixed

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 17, 2010,
The low end line 6 stuff is garbage... the spider valve however, awesome.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
The low end line 6 stuff is garbage... the spider valve however, awesome.

+1

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
It's not Line 6 hate in general, it's mostly the lower end modeller amps. AKA - spider series.

Vetta's and flextones are pretty good imo.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by sashki
Marshall are an iconic amplifier, but everyone on here seems to hate them. Most of the time they're either riding the bandwagon, or blaming them for the MG and AVT series (which are bad).

I personally have never managed to get a tone I liked out of a marshall, but then I never really got to try any of the best ones. I've heard marshalls that sounded awesome, too.

Sorry but who else are we going to blame. -shrug- Ive never really seen anyone claim they hate marshall tbh.

Marshall can be good, line 6 can be good.

Marshall can be disasterous, line 6 can be too.

All depends on what specific amp you're on about.
Same applies to like, all amp companies really.
Quote by beckyjc
Sorry but who else are we going to blame. -shrug- Ive never really seen anyone claim they hate marshall tbh.

Well, some people blame China.

A lot of people here seem to agree that marshall is overpriced considering the features you get, which I guess is true. However, some people seem to enjoy taking things a step further and declare that Marshalls just suck. That's what I've seen, anyway. I couldn't point to any specific instances, though.
line 6 can be good- spider IV mkii, and vetta's

i personally don't like marshalls. i've tried pretty much every marshall, and i'd rather have a spider IV mkii over an JVM
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by sashki
Well, some people blame China..

well some people are schtoopz sashki. China didn't decide to make marshalls there, marshall did.

it's not China's fault.

got your point tho.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by natehimself
line 6 can be good- spider IV mkii, and vetta's

i personally don't like marshalls. i've tried pretty much every marshall, and i'd rather have a spider IV mkii over an JVM

i'd much rather have a JVM over a Spider IV

that is actually saying a lot for me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i'd much rather have a JVM over a Spider IV

that is actually saying a lot for me.

well, the mkII sounded massive through a mesa cab, compared to the jvm through a 1960A cab.

the JVM just sounded downright fizzy.

edit: remember i'm talking about the spider IV valve mkii, not the spider IV, big diff.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
we just hate the spiders because their ripoffs and people who buy the spider halfstacks could have better spent the money. the new spiders are pretty good though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
in a nutshell, both are good companies, but to appeal and sell more, i.e. to starting guitarists who will almost always buy something, they market to attract them, until you play guitar, you can't tell the difference between a spyder 3 and a Mesa

BUT

they both make great high end stuff

line 6: variax (james tyler variax ought to be sweet )
vetta
Spider valve & pod series (higher end ones)

Marshall: Jcm 800 + 900
plexi
cabs

they have just changed markets, more people buy little 200 dollar amps then $800+ amps or gear

agreed?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
i can get a great tone out of my spidervalve, but i think thats thanks to bogner and the tubes in general xD
I haven't been impressed with recent marshalls...
They have made great amps that are pretty much foundational to rock and roll though.
The best amps that capture that sound just aren't made by Marshall anymore.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Meh, Line 6 makes some good stuff.

I use a Flextone when I can't crank my 2204. Fantastic practice amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
What do you expect for $99 or $199?
The spider is not bad at all for a SS
practice amp if you have humbuckers.
I havent really found a marshal i like. The closest maybe the jcm2000, but imo they are over priced. I believe you are paying for the name, and for most of the bands that do use them, they have the 1500 dollars ones or even higher. Not always but alot do. We "normal" joes cant afford a 2000 dollar amp and if i could it damn sure would not be a marshal. diezel, mesa, maybe something in that category id pay that much. But not for a marshal, and dont hate, for the price, the line6 can be good. But i would say they tend to gear towards the bedroom or garage band player. Kids just starting out, that is until you reach the vetta level or spider valve
^ My original 800 was $600.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by mmdude22
I havent really found a marshal i like. The closest maybe the jcm2000, but imo they are over priced. I believe you are paying for the name, and for most of the bands that do use them, they have the 1500 dollars ones or even higher. Not always but alot do. We "normal" joes cant afford a 2000 dollar amp and if i could it damn sure would not be a marshal. diezel, mesa, maybe something in that category id pay that much. But not for a marshal, and dont hate, for the price, the line6 can be good. But i would say they tend to gear towards the bedroom or garage band player. Kids just starting out, that is until you reach the vetta level or spider valve

fargen miniplex : )
Prs se Holcomb is the answer