Page 1 of 2
I've got a Line 6 Spider III and i'm playing an Ibanez ART 320 with an EMG 85 in the bridge pickup and when I play it doesnt sound anything like Killswitch's tone at all to me, even when I put the Amp onto the preset Killswitch tones.

I get alot of feedback or "white noise" as my sister calls it, and i'm just wondering if all Line 6 amps do this and whether I should go about gettin a noise supressor like a BOSS-NS2, or maybe investing in a different Amp, maybe a valve amp?

I'm not in a band at the moment but I have been playing for 9 years and i'm currently in the motions of moving back to England getting into music college so I doubt I'm going to be needing anything bigger than the 75 watt i've already got.

Also on a side note, I can do harmonic pinches every time I want to, but if I try keeping them going for more than a secound the sound just dies out and is drowned by even more feedback! I'm sure i'm doing it properly, is this just the amp aswell?

I know you might be thinking "wow this guy has played for 9 years and he doesnt know anything!" but i've been living in Spain for the latter part of my life and it's hard to find out about this stuff.

Any help would be awesome anyway.
Gracias!
You have been playing for ine years so I'd say your ear is developed more now you need a better amp. Spiders are fine for beginners who know nothing of tones.

Do you have a budget for a new amp?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
300 - 400 Euros is my budget at the moment, but after moving to England it is probably going to be around 250 - 300 (having to pay even more living expenses and the like), You probably are right about my ear developing though.

Thanks for replying.
You should probably try and sell your line six and buy a small tube amp maybe a b-52 tube amp? that should do everything you want and more.
I'm gonna hijack this thread to an extent, I was wondering if anyone has used an older Line 6, since I have an AX2 212, was wondering if it gets the same bad reputation as the spiders do.

Since I upgraded from a Spider II, I can tell a tone difference.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
First off active pickups + SS modeling amp = bad tone.

Active pickups are used to boost your signal if you use a really long chain of effect pedals or to push your tubes harder to achieve more saturation. When used with cheap SS amps you normally end up with transistor clipping which generally is an undesired tone.

Also, I don't care what the preset claims to be, there is no way that a cheap practice amp can mimic the tones of amps that cost 10 times as much money.

The problem that you're going to have is that you're looking for a lower wattage amp for metal. The key to most metal tones is lots of preamp saturation and very little power amp saturation (thats why the majority of "metal" amps are 100 watts or more). The more headroom you take away from the amp the harder its going to be to get that preamp saturation without the poweramp saturation too.

Are there any other bands that have a similar tone to what you're looking for, or is it pretty much just a KsE tone that you're after?

Are you willing to buy used?
OK wicked, well, im looking into the B-52 now a friend of mine did suggest getting one about 6 months ago but I didnt really listen to him.

Now call me stupid if im wrong which i probably am for asking this question, but if I get one of these, will I be having to pay out some extra cash on top for pedals or anything?
Get a mesa boogie triple rec and a maxon od808 pedal.

Seriously though if you want a killswitch tone you probably shouldn't be going with presets you should probably just be EQing a sound yourself. There is a good killswitch setting in the only tone thread which was something like bass - 6, mids - 6, treble 4 or 7, dist - 8, reverb - 4 (with everything based from 1 - 10). If you just select a rectifier like tone from your amp (if you can) it should sound okay, it's what I've been doing with my roland cube.

EDIT: Woah slow typing... there was only 1 response while I was typing this.... this is what I get for doing it in class
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Last edited by VVolverin3 at May 17, 2010,
the spider 3 has a built in noise gate which should do the job (go to the line 6 website and check out the manual and it will tell you how to activate the noise gate).

85 in the bridge? this may be a contributing factor as well, usually for high gain metal tones you'd use an 81 in the bridge, the 85 will probably flub things up a bit.

as far as the active pickups in a ss/digital amp go this is not really a big deal. some of the best known bands use active pickups into digital or ss amps; this is not your problem here.

other than the 85 pickup it could just be that your ear is a lot more developed now and you can recognize the low-end modelling of the spider. if you can try out some other guitars without 85's in the bridge then this may solve part of the problem. as already stated the other aspect of your problem is your amp, so an upgrade may be in order.
@ Metalhead, yeah I would be willing to buy used as it would be cheaper =oP (considering it was in good nick)

I mostly listen to Metal, metalcore, hardcore and a bit of blues now and again, but i'm just looking for a better all round metalcore sound that doesnt pierce everyones ears each time I play!

Are you saying that I would be better off going for something larger than 100 watt for metal because the smaller sizes just dont cut it? Because if so im sure I can wait a little while longer and save up the extra X amount for one.
Peavey 6505 or a Bugera 6262 should do you fine
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Thanks for that Wolverine i'll try that tomorrow after work, its half 1 in the morning here now so I dont think the neighbours will appreciate me setting it up, i'll deffinitley give that a try though and get back to you on that one, it may just be that!

I am looking into upgrading though because the clean sound on the Line 6 is abysmal compared to a tube amp I played on last week, it was a blues junior and it was the nicest clean sound i've had so far, but that could have been because I was playing my dads Telecaster through it.

I was going to put an EMG 81 in the bridge but just chucked the 85 in there instead because i'm still waiting on the 81 (damn Spanish take so long doing everything!)
but ill look into swapping them over when it arrives.
Just gave the 6505 + 112 combo a listen and WOW! that thing sounds lovely, would I be able to get my hands on one in Spain (even europe?) if not i'll wait till i'm back in the UK.
You're going to need about $10,000 dollars worth of studio gear
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by i_am_metalhead
First off active pickups + SS modeling amp = bad tone.

Not really sure why people say this...?

But guitar with crappy stock pickups + SS modeling amp < same guitar with EMGs + SS modeling amp, by a long shot. EMGs don't make SS amps sound bad, in fact, there was a giant difference in tone (for the better), when I just swapped out the stock pickups in my friends Schecter 006 Deluxe through his Vox AD30VT and even his MG halfstack.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not really sure why people say this...?

Are you serious!?

Its not the case with every SS amp, but most cheap SS amps and high-output pickups don't mix well. Maybe your ears are broken, Matrix??

Haha, whats the price comparison of the Bugera 6262 and the Peavey 6505 + are they available in Europe because i cant find anywhere that says anything about them? would I be better off getting a 212 or a 112 if i'm predominantly just practising at home + doing small gigs like bars?
i say go for the bugera 6262/6260 or 333xl, or the b-52, and also a randall rg50tc

50 watt all tube amp made for metal theres a video of a band i think called krahenn or something playing with this amp on youtube its, a nice soundclip
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Are you serious!?

Its not the case with every SS amp, but most cheap SS amps and high-output pickups don't mix well. Maybe your ears are broken, Matrix??

Well....

I guess it could be possible....

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Your not gonna sound like Killswitch with a Spider amp period, think about it.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
You aren't going to get a killswitch engage tone without spending thousands of dollars, end of story. And also, I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, but don't think for a second that the guys in killswitch just use stock EMG's. They'll say that for marketing purposes, but really, EMG will send them a custom made set tweaked to their exact specifications and needs with higher quality parts. Same with any band. Go get some custom wound pickups and you'll see a massive difference in tone and wonder why you didn't get a set earlier.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well....

I guess it could be possible....

I've experienced the same thing as you. Played a Framus Camarillo with EMGs through an AD30VT and it sounded just fine. Not good with the gain all the way up, but the AD30 does that with any pup. It wasn't much better than guitars with considerably cheaper pups (Schecter/Ibanez stock ones).... I mean noticable for sure, but not worlds apart.

Now, I've also heard someone playing an Ltd with the same pups through an AD30 and it was one of the worst tones ever. A droning, muddy fiasco. And the guy liked it and bought the two.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
85 in the bridge? this may be a contributing factor as well, usually for high gain metal tones you'd use an 81 in the bridge, the 85 will probably flub things up a bit.

No.

85s sound good as bridge pickups, just a little thicker than the 81. 85 in the bridge isn't that uncommon for metal anyways.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Hey guys love the killswitch tone got a crappy amp right now but thinkin about getting a peavy 6505+112 combo amp but not sure but what I've read about them and with my schecter damien 6 guitar and maxon od 808 overdrive I'm hoping it will sound awesome.
look up Gum from my sig. he nails a good KSE tone in a slightly unorthodox way. btw... KSE uses a shit ton of amps to record with... kinda' hard to fake the funk.
Quote by scaronyourface
You should probably try and sell your line six and buy a small tube amp maybe a b-52 tube amp? that should do everything you want and more.

YES. They're amazing.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
I know your don't have the budget but on EOH they used a 5150 and Framus Dragon. For As Daylight Dies they used a Triple Recto.

The closet your going to get to those tones is something like the 6505+ combo, one of the Bugera heads, or maybe a B52 ATX (I've heard them being compared to Recto tone, and from the clips I've heard, it's not toooo far from it.)
You're gonna have to specify which album, really. The 5150 is just one of about 8 different amps KsE has used over the course of their career. Among the others being:

- Mesa Rectifier
- Framus Cobra
- Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK 1
- Splawn Nitro
- Fuchs Viper
- Diezel Herbert

Each of those amps has it's own little take on high gain. MOF, KsE tones can vary from one song to another, because different songs (especially on the 2009 album) were recorded with different setups.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe

Each of those amps has it's own little take on high gain. MOF, KsE tones can vary from one song to another, because different songs (especially on the 2009 album) were recorded with different setups.

The 2009 album was very lacking in the tone department IMO. Fizzy guitar with no body. Almost sounds like an amp sim to me... but it was done with a VH4 apparently... it sounds like one, as it has the voicing, but it was just recorded bad.
I dunno, I heard different amps on different tracks. For instance, "Lost" and "Reckoning" sounded very much like a hot rodded 800, which would be the Splawn Nitro, most likely.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
It's definitely the same rhythm tone throughout the album, whether it's a Splawn or VH4 I don't know. I know they use Splawns live, they have for awhile. I'm pretty sure Adam said in an interview that they used a VH4 for the the album, and something like an Orange and a couple more amps for some overdub lines and cleans. And again, the voicing of the rhythm tone sounds like a VH4, it's apparently more classic voiced as opposed to the Herbert, so that may be why you think it sounds like a hot rodded 800.

I remember MC posted clips of a VH4 he had and I was like "yup, sounds very similar to the new KSE album"
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
if you're mainly playing at home and doing a few small gigs the 6505+ 112 combo is the way to go.

+1

such a good amp for the money!
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal