I had a cheap/improvised recording set up at home using audacity and an old computer mic at home.

However I could not use that set up with my laptop and pretty much had to go my freshman year in college without recording.
I did look into some nicer recording equipment before leaving but at this point money is tight and I don't need the best recording set up.

Just something that is simple and I can record guitar/vocals with. I plan on just recording/making some music for fun and putting them online. So I want decent quality sounds but it doesn't need to be professional.
Though the nicer sounding recordings I can get the better.

So any suggestion or ideas? I guess my budget is ideally $150 but I might be willing to raise it a little bit if needed. Can I get anything for that price even?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Line 6 Pod GX. Its $100, has a ton of different guitar amp and vocal preamp models, and comes with Ableton recording software. It would be perfect for what you want it for. And for sound quality samples, check my profile.

EDIT: Scratch that, the tone on the stuff on my profile sucks lol. That was from when I first got it and was trying it out. Look here instead: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/diamondsarentforever/
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Last edited by --{matt}-- at May 17, 2010,
can you still do headphones out when recording with the POD? sorry for the hijack here, but I'm thinking of getting something to record with too.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Yeah you can go headphones out, use an aux input, or (what I did recently because my amp is getting fixed) use one of those ipod tape adapter things lol.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by britishsligean
line 6 pod

Thanks is it the same POD --{matt}-- suggested?
Looks like I might be going the line 6 route.

Quote by --{matt}--
Line 6 Pod GX. Its $100, has a ton of different guitar amp and vocal preamp models, and comes with Ableton recording software. It would be perfect for what you want it for. And for sound quality samples, check my profile.

EDIT: Scratch that, the tone on the stuff on my profile sucks lol. That was from when I first got it and was trying it out. Look here instead: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/diamondsarentforever/

Wow, thanks for the recommendation.
I liked the audio in that link.

Just a few quick questions...

Is there any way to record vocals using the GX or is it restricted to guitar only?

Also the website says it comes with Ableton and POD Farm 2.
So I can use Ableton as my recording software instead of using Audacity and POD Farm to get the guitar sounds?

I think I might just get this. Also do you know how the POD UX1 and UX2 compare? They're both also in my price range and i'm wondering if they're worth the extra $50-$100.

Thanks again.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at May 17, 2010,
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Thanks is it the same POD --{matt}-- suggested?
Looks like I might be going the line 6 route.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation.
I liked the audio in that link.

Just a few quick questions...

Is there any way to record vocals using the GX or is it restricted to guitar only?

Also the website says it comes with Ableton and POD Farm 2.
So I can use Ableton as my recording software instead of using Audacity and POD Farm to get the guitar sounds?

I think I might just get this. Also do you know how the POD UX1 and UX2 compare? They're both also in my price range and i'm wondering if they're worth the extra $50-$100.

Thanks again.

Yep you can record vocals too, you just need a mic with a 1/4 input. Like I said, it has several vocal preamps with the Pod Farm, but I cant comment on the quality since I havent used it to record vocals. And as far as I can tell, the only differences between the GX and the UX1 and UX2 are that the UXs have more inputs for recording several instruments at one time and I believe that they also have a few more guitar amp models but im not too sure on that.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
the UX2 has phantom power for more expensive mics
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
the UX2 has phantom power for more expensive mics

Do you think the phantom power is worth having?
I don't know what mic i'll end up with or what my friends use. If phantom power is pretty commonly used i'll just go with the UX2 to be safe but if it's not too useful for a bedroom guitarist then I'll probably go with the UX1.

Sorry for the double-hijack, really, but I'm thinking of investing in one myself. :p And my question is just; Can this be used for bass as well as guitar?
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.