Does anyone know a recording program i which i can record my guitar songs to the comptuer and publish them. Like i have gear box which i could connect that port and record it
Reaper
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Audacity
Say what I want, do what I can, death to the message of the Ku Klux Klan!
Pro Tools. It's pretty much a standard in the music industry and if you need help with it, most musicians either have it or have some experience with it. I love it.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Audcity doesnt work for somereason throughl. Can anyone help me with that one
Cubase, Logic, Ableton, Garageband....

just type DAW into a search engine.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Cubase and Logic are expensive. Ableton is a bit of a different bird, and Garageband is Mac only, AFAIK.

Audacity is free, but is really limited in functionality. You'll find yourself limited by it sooner than later.

Reaper is apparently pretty awesome. I know another guy on another forum who swears by it, and he has done studio engineering work for Megadeth, Sherryl Crow, Gin Blossoms, etc. He is a true industry pro.

It is also ridiculously cheap for personal use for what it does. I think it's only about $50. Compared with Cubase, which is awesome (it's what I use), but clocks in at about 10x that price.

ProTools LE is free, but you have to buy ProTools hardware (or some M-Audio units) in order for it to work. It basically authenticates itself by finding registered, recognized hardware.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Is pro-tools hard to use? Like if you want to make music using just the computer and no actual instruments?
ProTools is pretty intuitive for people who are already familiar with the basics of how to record, use a mixer, etc.

I wouldn't choose it for sequencing. It does do midi, but the implementation is not as good as what you will find in other programs, last I heard.

Even your "million dollar producers", if they are doing programming, will use another software platform - Logic, Cubase, or whatever. Moby and Timbaland use Cubase.

Mind you, those advanced sequencing programs typically come with a massive learning curve.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I got a similer set up as you for when I am in the house playing

Gear Box is awesome by the way I love it, and after I bought it I was pretty pissed since couldnt do any recording with it. After a 45 minute call to Line 6 thier tech support said Reaper is great and its free.

I got Reaper and yeah I sware by it, its truly amazing. I've made alot of recordings with it and no one even knows the difference really. In otherwards only a serious pro could tell the Gearbox was used. Reaper has a slight learning curve if you are not familier with Digital recording but its great to record riff after riff, and layer and import other tracks in MP3 formats, and many other formats

When you really get the hang of it it works great with synth's and Midi as well

Get Reaper its really a good app
Last edited by Stuntaxe at May 19, 2010,
One thing to keep in mind here, too, is that it is not the software that makes the recordings. It is the software that *manipulates* the recordings. Yes, each software has its own audio engine and some are better than others, but trust me, if the quality of the software is going to make a difference in the quality of your recordings, you must have some total kick-ass gear in a total kick-ass room being mixed on total kick-ass monitors in order to be able to tell.

The quality of your recordings comes down to the quality of the sound you're recording in the first place, the quality of front-end gear (mics, preamps, converters), the knowledge and skill of the person doing the recording (an experienced guitarist will still sound better on a First Act guitar than a rookie with a Les Paul), the quality of the monitors that you are trying to mix on (mixing on stereo speakers is like trying to paint a picture with yellow-tinted glasses), and the quality of the room in which you are trying to work.

CT

I don't have the time or money to make a really high quality recording, but I don't want it to sound like absolute shit either. So that's why I'm trying to do it just on the computer.

I exported a midi file from tuxguitar and then imported it into pro tools, but there isn't any sound when I play it, so wtf is going on? BTW I'm a complete noob at this kind of thing just letting you know.
You have to assign the outputs of the midi tracks to a sampler or a synth or something.

CT