Let's hear about it....someone has to have one. Have heard some decent things about it but no real experience with one. Hope to try one out next week but would like to hear from some actual owners.
people say bad things about it, but there was an el diablo head at my guitar center and it got a really good tone, they're a pretty good deal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks guys...sounds good so far. I hear the gain is pretty impressive but still decent cleans as well? Anyone else?
Quote by Lost at Sea
Thanks guys...sounds good so far. I hear the gain is pretty impressive but still decent cleans as well? Anyone else?

I liked them both times I played one...MatrixClaw had one for awhile.
+1 Derek had one for awhile. Talk with him he might know something
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Here's what I said to the other guy who made a thread last week...

"I had the 120w version. I'm not sure if they're different, I've never played the 60w, but I know they are quite different cosmetically, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're are.

It's a really cool amp though, didn't quite have enough mids for me, but if you run an EQ in the loop or a boost out front, you'll be fine. It's pretty picky with pickups, if you have low-output pickups, you will notice it through the amp, it won't sound "metal" at all. I had PAF Pros in an Ibanez and that guitar sounded like a wimp through it, but my other two with Duncan JB/Custom Custom sounded massive. Cleans are pretty nice, a little sterile, but for the price you pay for the amp, they're pretty nice.

They get a bad rap. Why? I'm not exactly sure, because my 120w one sounded pretty damn good for the price

I think it's just cause it's not a well known brand and people don't like the fact that it sounds better than their amp that cost 3 times as much "
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks Matrix....good info. Would you buy one again or recommend something else in that same price range. I can pick up the 60 combo for about 700 locally new
I've got the 100w one and it's pretty nice. A steal for the price I paid ($1000 AUD new). It's high gain "sweet spot" tone lacks mids as I think MC was alluding to so I've found it tricky to work with in a band mix, but still very usable.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Lost at Sea
Thanks Matrix....good info. Would you buy one again or recommend something else in that same price range. I can pick up the 60 combo for about 700 locally new

Depends what kind of tone you're looking for really.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had the 60w head. With the right speakers (I went to Eminece swamp thangs, and Wizards) It has plenty of mids...of course it depends on what tone your looking for.
It takes pedals VERY well...and as has been stated, it really likes hot pick-ups. The cleans are AMAZING, and the low end on this amp in crazy (probably a reason some think the mids are weak...you gotta roll that bass back....Mine was usually around 1:00 (+3dB))
VERY versatile, the gain style and global attack switches are quite useful.
If you think you need more mids, run the global attack at about 1:00-2:00.
EVERYTIME we had a new person to practice...no one said anything about the drummer, bass player, and rarely the singer. But EVERYONE commented on the Genz Benz!!! A reoccurring comment was "Man, that amp has some BITE to it!"

Now I DID replace the power tubes with JJs, and the pre-amp tubes with EC83S tubes.
I THOUGHT the tubes were going bad, but it seems the effects loop was just acting up when it (the amp) would get good and hot. Turns out a ridiculously small fan fixed the issue...and it only happened once in a while, and only with the effects loop being used (it COULD have also been the cable...never found out for sure as it was an intermittent problem)

Unlike some other amps I have used, when using a gate in the loop, it is ABSOLUTELY silent...I mean, if you put your ear by the speakers, you can't tell if it's turned on or not.

These are great amps, I wish I had a combo version for doing open jams and such.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
a lot of people hate them, so that's worth bearing in mind. I really liked the one I tried (not sure which one, i *think* it was the 60 watt combo). They're dearer in Europe, but in the US they seem to be a good deal (they're not a "bad" deal in Europe either, considering how much most other stuff goes for here, but yeah, they're a lot cheaper in the US).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The people that hate them, never owned one...at least not for more than a few days
These take at LEAST a good week to figure out all the different tones you can get.
The first few days I had mine, I didn't like it either...then I figured out the contour knob, and how sensitive the active EQ really is. After that, I found some awesome tones!
Get it, and know that it's gonna take some time to learn how to tweak. It is a LOT more versatile that 95% of amps out there, as such it can give some great tones...and some crap ones. Take your time to sift through them. You'll love it!!!!
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
The el diablo is really a great amp. when they first came out like in 2005 i was praising them left and right
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thanks Vinson...that was some helpful info. I guess I need to try it for myself but it sounds good overall. I definitely want something with some 'crunch and bite' to it but I want to be able to clean up as well. The more versatile the better....I always want a good tone and to be able to find some different sounds along the way.....I guess I want it all haha.
I'm not entirely sure why people hate these. My brother has one and as has been said, they do take a bit of tweaking. At first most of the tones I was getting were a bit muddy, but mostly usable. After awhile I was able to tweak some really nice tones out of the amp. It helped to push up the mids a bit and roll the bass down a little(this amp has so much) and cut back on the gain. Once you get the gain past about 1:00 or so, it's difficult to notice an increase in gain but the sound gets a bit muddier, so watch out for that. As Matrix Claw said, the cleans are kinda sterile and a bit cold, but I wouldn't really expect anything else from a metal amp and the cleans on the El Diablo certainly aren't the worst.
Zero is right about the bass...this thing has GOBS of it.
If it's muddy, spin that contour knob to about 3:00 or more...clears right up! (Toss in some global attack for a solo upper mid-boost...or just to keep a sharp edge on it)
yeah, it was pretty awkward to dial in. i was trying it with an invader-loaded guitar (bad idea, both amp and pickup are a bit dark), and it sounded horrible. then i switched to a blade strat, and with a bit of help from the shop owner dialling it in, it wasn't too long before it was sounding awesome.

It's one of the few amps I've tried since i got my engl savage SE which had me wondering if I'd made the right choice... ironically the two amps which did make me wonder were available in local shops within like 30 miles of my house, except I didn't realise this until after I'd got my engl. It's not that I wouldn't have still got the Engl, but it'd have made my decision a LOT harder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 19, 2010,
I like the El Diablo but it always seemed to have the same problem as the Carvin V3 to me; Jack of all trades, master of none. That being said I wouldn't be ashamed of owning one I hear an EQ in the loop really brings it to life