hey ive taken like a year and a half of italian for school and im wondering if i can become fluent in it. the key to fluency is just repetition right? i can say a few basic sentences but like if someone was talking in a conversation at normal pace i wouldnt be able to understand. i heard studying other languages can boost intellect and prevent alzheimers, and also you have something to brag about. which lead me to want to become fluent in multiple languages starting with italian. although it is nearly impossible to learn another language fluently outside the early childhood years. so is there any tips here on learning antoher language? i know you europeans speak at least 3 languages (makes americas average person who only speaks one language look pathetic) is there any key to this?
I've taken 2 years of Spanish class. I've decided I hate it and am not going to take another year (despite all of the negative outcomes of this action).
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Speak with people who know that language.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I don't know how old you are/ what grade, but study abroad or do an exchange program.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
The key to fluency is immersion.

Take it from me - I've taken Spanish classes, read Spanish books, watched TV shows in Spanish, and filled notebooks with notes and the like, but you never fully get to understand how and why to use what phrase or turn of words, point of grammar, etc, when you need to unless you're surrounding yourself with fluency.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
The key to fluency is immersion. Find friends to speak iTalian to. Read the news in iTalian. It's important that you actually speak and not just read. It makes you think spontaneously, whereas when reading you have time to interpret. And, of course, speaking helps you work on pronounciation.
Quote by strat0blaster

FUCKING SHITCOCK
I can speak Italian. Linguini! Alfredo!
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Spanish and Italian are very close, so if you're interested in a new language, take that. Plus, it isn't all too hard to understand, I've taken a year of it and I can understand some basic sentences. You won't be able to get the 634 wpm of a fully-fledged person, but you can speak it.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

it took me a bit less then a year to learn english (3rd grade i was in ESL but in 4th i was already in the advanced english class)

My esl class didnt help thought, i was portuguese but they threw me in with a bunch of spanish kids and it wasnt anything like the spanish from Spain.

I mostly learned by watching TV, mostly Cartoon Network.
Cartoons use very basic english and usually in its simplest forms so that a young child can follow a plotline. So it was thanks to Dragonball Z that i learned English.

So i suggest you just watch cartoons of the language you want to learn as much as possible

EDIT: unless you can move to the a different country (immersion ftw as said multiple times before this)
Last edited by BlitzkriegAir at May 17, 2010,
Quote by strat0blaster

Take it from me - I've taken Spanish classes, read Spanish books, watched TV shows in Spanish, and filled notebooks with notes and the like, but you never fully get to understand how and why to use what phrase or turn of words, point of grammar, etc, when you need to unless you're surrounding yourself with fluency.

+1

Too many teachers don't understand this. You've got make your classroom be a place where the language being taught is the only language allowed. That's the only way to get a idea of immersion in a classroom.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Immersion is a great way to learn. Watch movies in whatever language, try engaging in discussions with it, etc...

Use is more likely to make you remember it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
This is just a small tip, but when learning words in a new language associate the word with the thing or idea it means instead of its equivalent English word.