Good morning/evening/night/day/whatever fellow people of UG forums.

I have been playing guitar for roughly 3 years now, almost 2 years with a teacher (before I had a teacher I was as hopeless as a camel trying to snowboard) and I have noticed an odd trend in my skill.

I practice daily, often between 1 and 3 hours, including 15-30 minutes of metronome practice. I do my warm ups usually, and try to learn new songs regularly while also composing my own.

The issue I have come across is that there are times when my competence and skill with my instrument seems to suddenly take a nosedive. For example, last week on Thursday I was playing Megadeth's Peace Sells, solos and all. Today, I picked up my guitar ( Hadn't a chance to play on friday or saturday, barely any time on sunday) and I could barely keep in time at 66 bpm to my metronome, and my playing was far more sloppy than it was before.

I know it sounds like this happened because I took a few days off, but that isn't always what happens before this. It seems to happen after I reach a point where I am playing better than I have in a while, then I suddenly have this issue. I can't say for sure, but I get the very strong feeling that this is harshly impeding my progress. Maybe it's just in my head.

Is it something psychological, is it related to my practice routine, or what? Any advice or anyone who knows what I am talking about is very welcome.
Quote by nifty111
Maybe it's just in my head.

this and i don't mean it in a good way. if you say you're playing peace sells solos and all one day and then can't play the next day to a 66 bpm metronome i'd question if you were playing cleanly and accurately before. there is some variance for needing to warm up, but ive never heard of a variance like that. i'd take a look at your technique and the amount of tension in your arms and hands when playing.

all in all i suggest more practice!
Last edited by z4twenny at May 17, 2010,
I have been playing for about as long as you have, and I sometimes run into the same issue to a lesser extent. I find that warming up more effectively tends to help I started warming up with some chromatic exercises that I took off of a John Petrucci segment and they really seem to help.
If you've ever played any sport, you'd know the answer to why it's happening and why it's not an issue...
Quote by Pillo114
If you've ever played any sport, you'd know the answer to why it's happening and why it's not an issue...

Well, I regret to tell you I have not played a sport since I was 5 and lost my left leg in a car accident. So no, I don't know what you're talking about
I apologize, I should have been more general anyways. In any type of activity you do of course you're going to have off days and days where you feel you need to warm up more. Whether it is a sport or a computer game or even SAT-type tests, some days you might feel on fire instantly while on other days you'll need to take it a bit go slower or start slow and build it up a bit. Some other days is it's just fate and you just cant help it, whether its stress or other things.

There's nothing psychological about it unless you make it psychological, then it's going to start messing you up. Whenever it happens again, just find something easy and enjoyable or work on a completely different technique. Maybe you played something so much the day before that the next day it just sounded like crap to you not because you were playing wrong but because you were just tired of hearing it.
There will be on-days and off-days for the rest of your guitar playing life. It sucks when you find the time to pick up the guitar and nothing goes your way, but it happens.

Practicing everyday for awhile is awesome but do not underestimate rest. Its one of your muscles best friends. Some players like to lay their arms to rest for a couple seconds after playing a riff or scale correctly a couple times.
Quote by TheLegendaryNJ
Some players like to lay their arms to rest for a couple seconds after playing a riff or scale correctly a couple times.

Lay them to rest?! What, they cut them off?! Sorry, that's just a crazy phrase to use...

Anyway, I agree with what's been said on here- it sounds like you hadn't warmed up properly. Sometimes, on a cold day, it can take several times as long to actually warm up.
Quote by Pillo114
I apologize, I should have been more general anyways. In any type of activity you do of course you're going to have off days and days where you feel you need to warm up more. Whether it is a sport or a computer game or even SAT-type tests, some days you might feel on fire instantly while on other days you'll need to take it a bit go slower or start slow and build it up a bit. Some other days is it's just fate and you just cant help it, whether its stress or other things.

There's nothing psychological about it unless you make it psychological, then it's going to start messing you up. Whenever it happens again, just find something easy and enjoyable or work on a completely different technique. Maybe you played something so much the day before that the next day it just sounded like crap to you not because you were playing wrong but because you were just tired of hearing it.

no offense taken, and thank you for the advice.