Page 1 of 2
I found a JCM 2000 on my local CL for $99 but everything seems to good to be true.
Here is a link to the page http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/1728666154.html Anyone know of a CL scam or anything similar to this or is this guy just ingorant to what he has?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Last edited by mrmystic at May 17, 2010,
wat!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

who cares if it's fake. it still will look cool in your bedroom for $100.

it doesn't look fake. but then again, it's prolly stolen.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Email or call to make sure the price is correct.

If it is, then hop on that shit.

you gonna get raped
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
that's either the deal of the century
or one helluva misprint
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
that's either the deal of the century
or one helluva misprint

Maybe he meant $999?

Who knows.. Contact him to find out!!

Also, even if it's a shitty copy, like said above, it'll look pretty badass to have as a decoration.

definitely stolen, but get it anyways and if you want to be a good citizen, give it to the cops
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at May 17, 2010,
i'd say either its stolen or the person selling doesnt know what its worth, which might be both also.. id buy it
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

definitely stolen, but get it anyways and if you want to be a good citizen, give it to the cops

definitely dont do this, the right cop sees it, you never will
I have a feeling he forgot a 9 like said earlier and that its supposed to be $999. I would still call and find out just to make sure your not missing out on the greatest deal ever.
I hate to pay $100 for a decoration that I dont really have room for, but for this price I could find room for a real good amp.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
A JCM 900 with a 1960a cab went for £275 in my local shop a couple of years ago so it's not a completely improbable price, the guy may possibly really need a quick sale.

Stolen is most likely though, basically the guy's either a thief or a simpleton.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 18, 2010,
He just put a crazy price there so people look at it... And what did he get for his time? He got his ad posted on a guitar forum and discussed. Seems to have worked.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by nightraven
it's not fake and it's definitely not stolen
the guy probably put in a random number and will give you the actual price when you contact him to avoid all sorts of scammers

It's also called misrepresentation.

Surely there's law somewhere which requires that he sells it for the price he advertised it for.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by tubetime86
He just put a crazy price there so people look at it... And what did he get for his time? He got his ad posted on a guitar forum and discussed. Seems to have worked.

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of rule on CL that you can't sell the item for more than the posted price.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm pretty sure there's some sort of rule on CL that you can't sell the item for more than the posted price.

Ok, but who monitors that? 99% of people if offered more then the ad price are going to take it.

His post should be flagged though OP. Theres no way.....
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at May 18, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
this is craigslist not wal-mart

I no has Wal-Mart in Singapore

Worth a try though.

I did it once at the Camden Sainsbury... and it worked.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i no has wal-mart in London, but you know what it is, so the point stands.
I think it's because on clist it's people rather than businesses + it's not got a marked price with VAT/other tax. He can sell it to who he likes, at what price he wants.
Quote by ze monsta
i no has wal-mart in London, but you know what it is, so the point stands.
I think it's because on clist it's people rather than businesses + it's not got a marked price with VAT/other tax. He can sell it to who he likes, at what price he wants.

Regardless, I can see where you are coming from, but like metalhead says, surely there's a clause somewhere specifics that you need to price your product honestly to a certain extent.

There's a marked difference in "please call for price" and "the product is $XX and I'll give you $YYY when you call".
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by teamhex
Ok, but who monitors that? 99% of people if offered more then the ad price are going to take it.

His post should be flagged though OP. Theres no way.....

The people who run CL. Publicly posting something for a certain price and selling it for a much higher price is called false advertising and it is illegal.
classic bait n switch...you all took the bait (who wouldn't...a tube marshall half stack for $100!)...but I guarantee you that when you call that number, theres another 9 in front of that price...

And CL doesn't regulate these kinds of things well...sure the ad will get flagged and removed, but there is no other punishment. There is a ton of spammers on the KC CL...and they still haven't been banned.
Quote by craigslist
What recourse do I have for a transaction gone wrong or a person/post that is not being honest? If you feel you've been cheated in a transaction or that there is false advertising on the site, please let us know so we can look into it on the site, and so we can be prepared to provide whatever help we can to police and other investigators.

he isn't really cheating anyone though.
He might be getting peoples hopes up, but he isn't legally bound to sell it by putting it on clist anyway, so I don't understand why it would matter.
Quote by eyebanez333
classic bait n switch...you all took the bait (who wouldn't...a tube marshall half stack for $100!)...but I guarantee you that when you call that number, theres another 9 in front of that price...

And CL doesn't regulate these kinds of things well...sure the ad will get flagged and removed, but there is no other punishment. There is a ton of spammers on the KC CL...and they still haven't been banned.

Report it to the proper authorities and something can be done - like I said, false advertising is illegal.

Quote by ze monsta
he isn't really cheating anyone though.
He might be getting peoples hopes up, but he isn't legally bound to sell it by putting it on clist anyway, so I don't understand why it would matter.

As I said, its called false advertising and its illegal.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at May 18, 2010,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Report it to the proper authorities and something can be done - like I said, false advertising is illegal.

Buyer will just say it was a typo.
Quote by eyebanez333
Buyer will just say it was a typo.

I've posted on CL before and there are so many steps that you have to go through to prevent such typos. I doubt the FTC would believe that its "just a typo".
I put '$1' on the asking price for everything I sell... I just feel it grabs attention. Though lately so many others have been doing it the next item I sell I likely won't do that for.

The false advertising thing gets to me though... That's a rarely enforced trade regulation and can hardly be applied to CL. Even if major companies do it someone has to go to the expense of filing a suit for it to be addressed. Its not like you call the police and they get arrested. When I used to work in retail this drove me nuts, ignorant old people come in and start yelling about 'false advertising' because something is marked wrong, or we don't have something that was on a mailer... Its rediculous, I would basically tell them we made a mistake, apologize and if they didn't calm down I'd just say 'do something about it.' Guess what; no one ever did, because there's nothing you can do without spending your own money that you may not get back. This was while working for MAJOR retailers too.

Edit: Will are you seriously talking about the FTC in relation to this? Call them, I guarantee the conversation will go like this:

FTC - 'Federal trade commission how can I help you?'
Will - 'Yes I'm calling about an ad posted on craigslist...'
FTC - *click*
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by i_am_metalhead

I've posted on CL before and there are so many steps that you have to go through to prevent such typos. I doubt the FTC would believe that its "just a typo".

good luck getting anywhere with the FTC with something this minute...happens everyday. And since CL is relatively anonymous (you don't need anything other than an email address...which you could easily fake and use false info on)...it's going to be hard to track people very far...should you get any takers. This case is a bit different since the guy gives his phone number...but still.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
I put '$1' on the asking price for everything I sell... I just feel it grabs attention. Though lately so many others have been doing it the next item I sell I likely won't do that for.

The false advertising thing gets to me though... That's a rarely enforced trade regulation and can hardly be applied to CL. Even if major companies do it someone has to go to the expense of filing a suit for it to be addressed. Its not like you call the police and they get arrested. When I used to work in retail this drove me nuts, ignorant old people come in and start yelling about 'false advertising' because something is marked wrong, or we don't have something that was on a mailer... Its rediculous, I would basically tell them we made a mistake, apologize and if they didn't calm down I'd just say 'do something about it.' Guess what; no one ever did, because there's nothing you can do without spending your own money that you may not get back. This was while working for MAJOR retailers too.

Edit: Will are you seriously talking about the FTC in relation to this? Call them, I guarantee the conversation will go like this:

FTC - 'Federal trade commission how can I help you?'
Will - 'Yes I'm calling about an ad posted on craigslist...'
FTC - *click*

I highly doubt that, Tube. CL is a major commerce site and the FTC does govern over it.

I'll admit that people do use the term false advertising out of context, but it technically is "anything that is intentionally or unintentionally misleading or deceitful that will alter a person's decision to make a certain purchase". If the guy posted the actual price he wants then he would get far less hits/contacts - therefore what he is doing is considered false advertising.

The first step the FTC would do is make him remove the ad and, if he still wants to sell the item, make a new ad with the actual price - legal action is never the first step used. However, if he continued to post in the same manner in the future then the FTC would step in and slap him with fines or even an arrest.
Quote by eyebanez333
good luck getting anywhere with the FTC with something this minute...happens everyday. And since CL is relatively anonymous (you don't need anything other than an email address...which you could easily fake and use false info on)...it's going to be hard to track people very far...should you get any takers. This case is a bit different since the guy gives his phone number...but still.

The problem with people is they don't try hard enough. Anything can be done if you're actually willing to get it done.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I highly doubt that, Tube. CL is a major commerce site and the FTC does govern over it.

I'll admit that people do use the term false advertising out of context, but it technically is "anything that is intentionally or unintentionally misleading or deceitful that will alter a person's decision to make a certain purchase". If the guy posted the actual price he wants then he would get far less hits/contacts - therefore what he is doing is considered false advertising.

The first step the FTC would do is make him remove the ad and, if he still wants to sell the item, make a new ad with the actual price - legal action is never the first step used. However, if he continued to post in the same manner in the future then the FTC would step in and slap him with fines or even an arrest.

I don't deny that it is technically an actionable offense, I just don't think you could get the FTC to even acknowledge it without putting way more time/money into it than any sane person should think its worth. Which is the case with almost all false advertising cases.

Besides, by your definition it doesn't alter your decision to purchase; it alters your decision to inquire. When you call him I'm sure he'll tell you the real price, at which point you have every ability to decline.

Edit: ^ Read: "Anything can be done if you're unemployed, have no hobbies, and care way too much about petty shit."
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 18, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
as people have said. what is anyone going to do?
sue the guy for the cost of a phone call

Murder is illegal - what is anyone gonna do? Sue someone for the person's rent for that month?

Writing bad checks is illegal - what is anyone gonna do? Sue someone for the price it costs to print the checks?

Stealing is illegal - what is anyone gonna do? Sue someone to cover the cost of the gas it took to go get the item back?

Anything that is illegal has consequences.
Do you ever go 1 mph over the speed limit Will?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Besides, by your definition it doesn't alter your decision to purchase; it alters your decision to inquire. When you call him I'm sure he'll tell you the real price, at which point you have every ability to decline.

Then, according to you, nothing is false advertising because you are always told the actual price of something before you give any sort of payment.

This ad is a prime example of false advertising. Joe has $100 to spend on a new amp and sees this ad and thinks to himself "Wow, Joe!! You could get this amp!". However, if the actual price was posted then he never would have considered buying the amp - it affected his decision about making a purchase.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No I don't. I normally go about 5 mph under.

I wish things were as black and white to me as they are to you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I wish things were as black and white to me as they are to you.

Things are black and white for you. You fail to see anything outside of your little box. You're set in your text book ways and if something isn't in print in front of your face then there is no way that it could possibly be right or plausible.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at May 18, 2010,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Things are black and white for you. You fail to see anything outside of your little box. You're set in your text book ways and if something isn't in print in front of your face then there is no way that it could possibly be right or plausible.

In the context of this topic, you are describing your point of view perfectly. You don't know me nearly well enough to make such a general statement about my views.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2