First of all I'm sorry for the horribly vague title. Secondly, I'm sorry for all the writing about to come.

Anyway I've been starting to learn music theory online, using the lessons on this site and some found on google, but always end up very confused (yes I did read the Music Theory FAQ Guide- it was the most helpful). I think I just can't see any any sort of order in the guides I've found. It'll talk about something, then use a whole bunch of words that make no sense to me without explaining anything, then I'm lost and don't know what it's talking about next.

So can someone please recommend me a good theory guide that starts right off from the beginning? If it matters what I'm mostly interested in getting out of the theory is the ability to make some good sounding hard rock/ metal music of my own.

I think I do have a pretty faint idea about most topics of theory though, it just takes me a really long time to relate what I think I know to actual music.
So can someone please take me through an example of an actual song?

For example, Sad But True by Metallica. It sounds so awesome to me, so it probably makes musical sense too right?
I was hoping if anyone had some time if they can walk me through HOW it makes musical sense. Like the chord progression in the chorus, and how the layered guitars decide what notes work best on top of each other in the intro and chorus.
And for the main riff, would that just be following a scale? E Lydian Dominant perhaps? I'm only guessing that because that scale has all of the notes from that riff.

Thanks a lot for any help!
i think you might be very happy with my website, links in chat. ive tried to put things in order and explain them in as simple of terms as i could.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
The for dummies books are good.

Also Rock School and ABRSM books are good.

I have a book called the Guitar Bible that helped me a lot.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
"Sad But True" one could consider a simple blues riff.

but ya can see some of it here Does it follow musical theory? Answer: Since it was a chart buster as a single on an album that went multi-platinum, yeah pretty sure! But even if it didnt follow musical theory, experts would come in and explaine why it does follow musical theory. This has been debated a million times here I am sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRHQCtnRymY

Sad But true is really just blues riff bud
Don't over complicate things and go nerd with theory if it sounds good work it out
Last edited by Stuntaxe at May 18, 2010,
Quote by sharpshot
First of all I'm sorry for the horribly vague title. Secondly, I'm sorry for all the writing about to come.

Anyway I've been starting to learn music theory online, using the lessons on this site and some found on google, but always end up very confused (yes I did read the Music Theory FAQ Guide- it was the most helpful). I think I just can't see any any sort of order in the guides I've found. It'll talk about something, then use a whole bunch of words that make no sense to me without explaining anything, then I'm lost and don't know what it's talking about next.

So can someone please recommend me a good theory guide that starts right off from the beginning? If it matters what I'm mostly interested in getting out of the theory is the ability to make some good sounding hard rock/ metal music of my own.

I think I do have a pretty faint idea about most topics of theory though, it just takes me a really long time to relate what I think I know to actual music.
So can someone please take me through an example of an actual song?

For example, Sad But True by Metallica. It sounds so awesome to me, so it probably makes musical sense too right?
I was hoping if anyone had some time if they can walk me through HOW it makes musical sense. Like the chord progression in the chorus, and how the layered guitars decide what notes work best on top of each other in the intro and chorus.
And for the main riff, would that just be following a scale? E Lydian Dominant perhaps? I'm only guessing that because that scale has all of the notes from that riff.

Thanks a lot for any help!

I teach the very things that you are looking to understand, but I am not free. I have a guitar Academy here in Texas, as well as one that is online and people from all over the world study there.

As for the Riff You have the Bb which is the b5 (tritone) basically, its straight from the Em blues scale. Cowboys from Hell does a similar thing in their riff. The D is a b7 and the A is the 4 (which is pedaltoned through the pull offs.

Best,

Sean
Learning theory on the Internet can make your head spin, especially at a forum.

You need organization, and I think you're seeing that. I have a theory site that is oranized from the ground up. Go to: http://lessons.mikedodge.com

Read these links in this order:

Intervals
Chord Construction
Diatonic Theory

Each link is a full lesson and each lesson picks up where the last one left off...so READ THEM IN THAT ORDER for the full effect.

Read them a few times as I don't know anyone who has ever learned and retained all of this stuff in one reading. Each time you read you will retain more and more and fill in the gaps closer.

There's plenty of other stuff at the site to keep you busy too. But those three points are what you are looking for.
Thanks a LOT for all the help guys! I've been reading the websites you guys provided for a little while now and it really is clearing up!

It's good to know I can come here for help when I need it too