hi,
i have an epiphone les paul custom, it is tuned correctly to standard and all the string retain there tuning when in use, but when i play a chord it always sounds off, i belive it is the G string which is causing the issue, i have put new strings on, tightend the machine head but it still sounds strange, any ideas??

cheers
Honestly, to me the g string always sounds off. It always sounds just a little sharp.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Check your tuning at the first couple frets. If it’s more than a few cents sharp you either need some fine neck and/or nut adjustments to bring the string down.

But be aware that thee g string is supposed to sound a little off on most guitars. To sound right it needs to be a wound string. But when the standards for electric guitar were set guitarists were jazz and blues players doing lots of bends on the first couple frets and they didn’t want wound strings. So the manufacturers standardized on an unwound string. If it really bothers you there are some great articles on the net about using wound g strings, and you can special order sets with a wound third string.
If it's really bugging you take it in to a professional to get it looked over - they shouldn't charge you just for having a look at it, and most will be able to tell if your intonation is of just by looking over your setup.
Inhuman evil take down!
a lot of guitars are notorious for having problems with the G string. It is actually very very common, I feel like I see one of these threads at least once a week. Take your guitar to someone who knows what they are doing, it's probably an easy fix.
plug your tuner in and check the strings on the 12th fret. if they are off then you probably need a setup
Les pauls all have weird G strings... Nuff Said, Wheather they be Gibsons, Epis, Agiles, Heritages, ESP eclipses even, tehy all be weird in the G string

But seriously, Check guitar setup at GC or somthing, the guitar will sound much better, as well as possibly lower action, which will be ezer to play
Eh.
Quote by handbanana
a lot of guitars are notorious for having problems with the G string. It is actually very very common, I feel like I see one of these threads at least once a week. Take your guitar to someone who knows what they are doing, it's probably an easy fix.

Ya my nut slot for my G string is too low and i get a off pitch sounding buzz to it, it's annoying as hell. It has helped train my ear some though on the bright side when trying to tune it.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Untill I read the question, I Was going to say. Turn your amp on and turn the guitar up but honestly I have no idea.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100