Lately I've noticed I'm not really using my old guitar much, ever since I got my second guitar (Gretsch G5120). My first guitar is kind of a cheap stratocaster knock-off. I was thinking of re-painting it to another color, and then chipping the paint of to make it look slightly "relic-ed" and then maybe changing the pickups. The thing is i sanded some of the back a couple of days ago and found that under the paint its got a thick coat of some kind of varnish, and then its got wood under that.. should I sand it down to the wood and then paint it, or would it look bad seeing as its got all this varnish that i guess would "shape" the guitar. Sorry if this is stupid, I've never customized anything before..

Cheers!
That stuff under the paint is sealer. If you are repainting it an opaque color, no need to remove the sealer. Just rough up the old paint enough that the new will adhere nicely. If you want to give it an oil finish or something, you would need to remove the sealer. The Ultimate Painting / Refinishing Thread has oodles of helpful info. You can find a link to it in the GB&C Essential Links thread.
Well my guitar right now is red, under it having the sealer which is kinda black looking(?), and i would like to get my guitar to look something like this (maybe not so much wood showing):

would i need to keep the sealer or remove it?
remove the sealer, i think.

try a heat gun or something to get it all off.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
This should really be taken to the Painting and Refinishing Thread.
I'm no painting expert, but I'd say be safe, take of the sealant. Put oil on it, then paint it black(or whatever you choose) then clearcoat. I don't know whether you'd clear coat after relicing it, or before.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
This should really be taken to the Painting and Refinishing Thread.
I'm no painting expert, but I'd say be safe, take of the sealant. Put oil on it, then paint it black(or whatever you choose) then clearcoat. I don't know whether you'd clear coat after relicing it, or before.

But the oil and paint might not play nice together.

Spitz13, it is really helpful that you have a picture similar to how you would like it to turn out. Kudos for that, it makes suggestions so much easier.

I would sand off all the sealer. Then paint it whatever colour. You could doing the relicing first, then clearcoat, which would give you more protection, but less authenticity. Or you could clearcoat, then relic, which would be more authentic, but less protection. Either way, don't use high gloss paint or clearcoat. Low gloss is probably better.

Thread on how Schism reliced his strat.
Quote by cedricsmods
But the oil and paint might not play nice together.

It depends what type you use. I have painted over Danish Oil before. No problems so far.
..I was watching my death.
Thanks alot guys !

I'm thinking on starting my project during my winter vacations (in about a month) and wanted to gather info on how to do it a bit earlier, I'm bookmarking this for when I get started on the project, and if it turns out any good I'll be sure to make a thread and tell you guys about it and post some pictures too.

thanks!