View poll results: What do you think?
Yes
60 58%
No
43 42%
Voters: 103.
what does the pit think? discuss
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
what i think is that the sky probably shouldnt be blue but more of a green colour, because green represents life and blue is really just the colour of water, and nothing organic has the colour blue, even blueberries are purple so instead of blue it should be green, if this was the case then the oceans could also be red
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
It tends to result in better shows since the lead guitarist will be more likely to show off.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
ego is the lead guitarist's greatest asset. Ego is the douche bag "rockstar"'s worst enemy.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
ego is the lead guitarist's greatest asset. Ego is the douche bag "rockstar"'s worst enemy.

nuff said, there're some great guitarist out there whom just appear they're the shit and well above everybody else just because they can "shred" faster then you
Quote by pwrmax

Ego is a lead guitarists friend, it provides extra confidence. On the other hand people who tend to be douchebags, should have their ego destroyed.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Ego is your worst enemy if you suck end of story...I have brought down many a big headed guitarist who think they are the shit, but in reality they cant play for shit...but at the same time, I know every one of my playing flaws and I am always humble to others and willing to learn.
I don't have an ego... like when people tell me I'm good, I just get kind of shy and pretend I think I suck, because I'm sloppy. I never show off and when people think I am (which is really never), it's just because I'm bored and I love to play guitar. But I'm better than everyone around me... but that's not me having an ego, I am technically more advanced than all the guitarists I hang out with.

Okay, I might have a small ego, but I'm very modest and I don't show it.
Honestly, unless the guitar player is standing out and being d-bag, there's nothing wrong with having an ego. There's a difference between thinking you're pretty good at your instrument and stating you're better than everyone else. There is such thing as a healthy ego.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
there's just this very fine line between two guitarists jamming together learning off each other and trying to rape the other guy giving the "i'm the shit and you suck and should go play smoke on the water" attitude with the sole purpose to boosting one's ego.
Terrorism is a lead guitarist's worst enemy!
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Absolutely not.

If it weren't for my ego, I would be so nervous live that I'd mess up my solos.
Check out my band Disturbed
They call it Lead Singer Disease. I've never heard of Lead Guitarist Disease.

Besides, a guitarist without an ego is no guitarist.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by JimmyBanks6
what i think is that the sky probably shouldnt be blue but more of a green colour, because green represents life and blue is really just the colour of water, and nothing organic has the colour blue, even blueberries are purple so instead of blue it should be green, if this was the case then the oceans could also be red

But why should the sky represent life? Not much lives in it, just birds, and they're all pricks.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Weasels would be a guitarists worst enemy. And sharks.

...or weaselsharks
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by JimmyBanks6

This butterfly

and this blue jay

would both like a word with you.
Too much ego results in 20 minute guitar solo's and they're just annoying as hell
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
A lead guitarist's worst enemies are as follows:

1) Losing/disabling his hand(s)
2) Bears
3) Mediocrity/lack of chops
4) Meddling studios and producers
5) Ego
6) Ultraviolet radiation
7) Upstaging by singers
8) Jealous rhythm guitarists
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Last edited by Quintessence153 at May 18, 2010,
Everything in moderation.

I don't think a large ego is necessarily harmful. If the lead guitarist excels at playing guitar, then there's nothing wrong with him/her feeling confident in those abilities. The problem begins when the ego overshadows the playing and the connection to the music.
"Perception of Balance " - My album.

"Run away from the ending road, the desolate cold, and the broken home."
Quote by Quintessence153
A lead guitarist's worst enemies are as follows:

1) Losing/disabling his hand(s)
2) Bears
3) Mediocrity/lack of chops
4) Meddling studios and producers
5) Ego
6) Ultraviolet radiation
7) Upstaging by singers
8) Jealous rhythm guitarists

I agree with this list.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

The sky is not organic.
Yes, ego is not only a lead guitarists' worst enemy but EVERYONEs worst enemy.
Quote by pwrmax

He has quite an ego, i must admit, being a huge fan

And look where he is now and look at his skill
Quote by Ignite
This butterfly

and this blue jay

would both like a word with you.

Is it just me or does that blue jay look photoshopped?

I know they exist, it's just it looks shopped.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by ShredHead396
and look at his skill

I don't know, I've seen him play and he does tend to play faster than he can and get real sloppy sometimes.
Overinflated ego is a lead guitarist's worst enemy. I think you need to have a little bit of an ego to create worthwhile music in the first place. That's not to say that "worthwhile" music only comes from egotistical asshats like Malmsteen, but many of the great artists of all mediums had overinflated egos. I think if you break down the psychology of music to a basic level, it's ultimately a selfish, egotistical behavior. That's not to say that artists don't hope that an audience will enjoy their music, but if they only cared about pleasing an audience and never had a personal conviction towards what they create a certain level, than they either wouldn't bother doing it or their art would suck because an audience that was informed and observant of the medium could tell that there was no energy or authenticity behind it. You need a healthy, but present ego to be an artist, or you wouldn't give a shit about what you were creating IMO.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.