I just got kicked out of my band today whom i've been with for about a month or so, so it wasn't a long ordeal thing. But i pretty much practiced the material 6-8 hours a night. It was a really big deal for me, they've had semi success before(check out the f ups), and are really dedicated, practicing 5 nights a week, they've recently been developing a really awesome rock sound, similar to the bands of old, zep and deep purple etc. I put all my effort into this as i really want to have a shot at music, and these were the guys that were going to open doors. Well although my playing was not an issue, i was inexperienced band wise, and i can see their reasons for kicking me. But i would just like to point out that every little problem they saw with me i worked to fix, and i did. I guess it just didn't work out. But heres my thing, i see this as my only chance as doing what i want with my life, i don't have much else. And i botched it. I feel like smashing my guitars you know? I'm just looking for a way to cope as i realize there are pitfalls in this kind of thing, but i know that some opportunities only come once and i missed it. I realize im kind of dumping this on other people, but i was just looking for someone who had experienced something similar and could offer some advice. Probably the worst part is that the drummer told me, not the singer/guitar player whom i'd been the most close with. He just distanced himself completely, blocking all forms of communication, and i just feel betrayed. Dunno. haha
If your playing wasn't an issue, what was? Seems like you were dedicated enough.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Dont worry about it. Look at Dave Mustaine. At any rate, you might be able to find a better band to play with or start the best band in town yourself. Theres always something better.
Bad luck, that's a shitty place to be.

No one can put this right for you but I hope we can offer some perspective.

You probably didn't botch it, not if you practiced several hours a day and rehearsed 5 nights a week. At the very least you showed that you took it seriously and were prepared to work. You were good enough to join the band in the first place and you must have improved dramatically so it was probably nothing to do with your playing.

You don't say but I suspect you are male and young and so are your band mates. The majority of the posts in this forum are about the fallings out between band members. Bands aren't easy places to be. You mainly all care about what you are doing, you wouldn't be doing it at all if you weren't driven by your egos and you are pretty testosterone fuelled. Stupid little differences then build up and explode.

Being in a band is more like a love affair than a job. Bands break up all the time under the strain, usually quoting 'musical differences' but actually splitting over petty jealousies and over inflated ego's. Some band members are naturally faithful and others are always looking for a better offer, who knows.

So don't expect to find a reason for what has happened, bands aren't reasonable things. Don't assume it is you, or even anything to do with the band. Pick yourself up and start looking around for the next band, let time heal the wound.

Good luck
Thanks, I just turned 18, the other band mates are 22, 25 and 27, so im the youngest by a stretch. He kind of just stated that i wasn't experienced enough yet, demeanor and presence wise i guess, as well as knowing the little tips.
Don't worry mate, it's all part of auditioning for bands. Sometimes you'll be accepted temporarily, grudgingly by some members to "see how it goes". After that you can be kicked out after a relatively short time in the band.

As you note, you are a younger, less experienced musician than the others in the band. This probably lead to two flaws. The first would be that you probably couldn't connect with all of them on a personal basis the way an older guy would. The second would be that you probably couldn't meld with them musically and your skills were just a little under par for what they were looking for. The perfect guitarist wouldn't need to be told what to do as much, nor have to try as hard as you did to fix the issues they brought up. This isn't your fault, they've probably just found a better guitarist than you for them.

I remember one similar situation as you, I was with a band for about 2 weeks before being kicked. However one of them told me that I needed to play my clean lines with "more confidence". It was very true, and I hadn't considered it before. No longer though, as it was something I could work on for myself. I'm sure you'll see the positives in the experience once the harshness of the rejection wears off.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It happens man. The bassist I replaced in my band has 6 years of guitar experience, and switched to bass for them. I had less band experience, but just played bass better. It's a weird thing sometimes. I'm also older then all of them. It's just a matter of how you fit with everyone in the band, and with the music as well. I've seen some weired line up changes around my home town.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Too bad but you're only 18 and have a good attitude, some other band will come along that is a better fit. Don't let it get ya down.
pretty much what everyone else has said haha.

just keep at it man, it happens to the best of us and you'll find a band soon enough that you'll fit in better with
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
i just wanted to thank everyone for the quick and inspiring responses, im trying to form a new band, and im kind of seeing what i can work on now, and hopefully withing a year or two ill have enough down to meet that kind of standard, its a great opportunity to take from, even if i still feel a little remorseful.
Bad luck man. Hopefully you can take some lessons from this though and be a better band member because of it. I know what it's like to have your hopes crushed instantly while trying to start with other bands. It took me about 4-5 months of properly hard searching and at one point I had a full band ready to start until it just dissolved and they all joined other bands.

My point is that this sort of shit happens to everyone and it's the worst thing in the world but you have to go through it.

I'm also now very happy with the band i'm in. We played one cover of Holy Wars by Megadeth through and it clicked naturally. I also advise you to try and stay buddy-buddy with the band that just kicked you out. It may be hard at first but it'll help you out with your new band on the scene if you keep in contact with them (not too much though).
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
dude I checked out the F ups and they're shit! You don't need them anyway- form your own band, advertise for members if you don't know anyone, and you can probobly get better than they are within a couple of months!
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Is this band with the song 'lazy generation'?

If they are, don't worry, you probably didn't make it because of your image or something. Dodgy american pop punk bands are obsessed with image. ironic really.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
You started out with nothing, ended up with nothing. Where's the problem? Lots of people would give their right leg for the chance to play with a professional band like that.
Well its more rock and roll now, they went into a new band and are going for that old school rock and roll where we were raised on. heres their new stuff

myspace.com/hanghigh

However take into consideration the vocalist is no longer with them and the guitar player is singing which makes it sound a whole lot better.
Don't see it as a bad thing that's happened but as a good thing.

For whatever reason, the band didn't think you were suitable for them, from there it can go one of two ways, they can either fire you and get it over with or they can persevere with you, either because they hope your suitability will change or because none of them have the bottle to fire you.

The former allowes everyone to get on with their lives, they can go and look for a more suitable member or carry on without replacing you and you can either put your own band together or find a band that is suitable for you.

The latter invariably leads to back biting, bitching and falling out.

I know which one I'd prefer.

I's advise you not to take it personaly, let bygones be bygones and try to remain friends with all the band members. Remember, lots of musicians find work via word of mouth. For that reason, your reputation as a nice guy is practicaly as important as your playing ability.

Quote by Declan87
You started out with nothing, ended up with nothing. Where's the problem?

I wouldn't say he's 'ended up with nothing'. He's had a month's worth or jamming with a band, that equates to valuable 'experience'.
Quote by Declan87

Lots of people would give their right leg for the chance to play with a professional band like that.

Agreed.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 23, 2010,
^ I meant he started out without a band and ended up without a band, but I think you got the gist of what I was saying
Quote by manoxid
But heres my thing, i see this as my only chance as doing what i want with my life, i don't have much else. And i botched it. I feel like smashing my guitars you know?
Oh, teh drama.

You are right. Since you botched this, it will be impossible for you to ever have another chance at doing what you want with your life. Buy some fresh razor blades and commence cutting, emo boy. It's the only way.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Oh, teh drama.

You are right. Since you botched this, it will be impossible for you to ever have another chance at doing what you want with your life. Buy some fresh razor blades and commence cutting, emo boy. It's the only way.

Darkness protects
the love that we share
intimate moments
with no one else there.

I'm not emo, you know.
If you practiced 6-8 hours per day, you must have improved immensely since you started with them. You'll find a new band. Best of luck!
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion