there is proof that jesus existed.
115 47%
there is no proof that jesus existed
69 28%
cute third option
59 24%
Voters: 243.
Page 1 of 4
so recently an atheist buddy of mine told me that their is no scientific or historical proof that jesus existed. im not talking whether or not he was god's son but flat out existing. so since the pit seems to be filled with atheist types i wanted to see if they at least believed jesus was at least alive.
I am not a Christian, and I am reasonably sure that there's proof that he existed.

As evidence by, I don't know, our yearly calendar.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I saw a video once where some guy was scientifically explaining all those holy bleeding statues and how he proved it was real human blood oozing from the statues and stuff. It was quite interesting.
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
athiest types? no, just smart people who believe in Guitar Gods.

besides who cares if he existed or not your faith shouldn't be shaken by others, keep on your way and they'll keep on theirs. only when theres some kind of competition to see whose right is when everyone becomes wrong.

this is gunna start a rant with other UGers however.
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
How about the fact that there is more historical documentation of Him than any other single human being in history? not just in the bible but in several historical accounts. people can argue that he was not the son of God, but to say he never existed is for lack of a better term, idiotic.

your friend is ignorant TS. he needs to not make stupid claims to make himself sound hip for being on the atheist bandwagon.
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I do not personally believe in God or Jesus. I really have no religion. I am not atheist. I am not Christian, Jewish, anything.

It was nice of you to randomly point that out when no one asked your religion.
Can you add an option to the poll "there is no proof jesus didn't exist" it suits my views better.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by roknoob1590
How about the fact that there is more historical documentation of Him than any other single human being in history? not just in the bible but in several historical accounts. people can argue that he was not the son of God, but to say he never existed is for lack of a better term, idiotic.

your friend is ignorant TS. he needs to not make stupid claims to make himself sound hip for being on the atheist bandwagon.

Sources pl0x. I am aware of only one reliable one and that's Tacitus'.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Quote by roknoob1590

Four Israelites who wrote about this man whom they looked up to hardly accounts as the most documented human being in history.
-Jim Morrison
Pretty sure the dude actually existed, I just don't think he was any more extraordinary than any other man.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Four Israelites who wrote about this man whom they looked up to hardly accounts as the most documented human being in history.

+1
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by StewieSwan
Sources pl0x. I am aware of only one reliable one and that's Tacitus'.

dont know any off the top of my head, but ive heard that before, in confirmation classes at my church, and even in college history classes, (taught by a muslim professor)

I mean i dont know, can you think of anyone that is more historically famous than Jesus? i cant. (inb4 beatles joke!)
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
Quote by roknoob1590
dont know any off the top of my head, but ive heard that before, in confirmation classes at my church, and even in college history classes, (taught by a muslim professor)

I mean i dont know, can you think of anyone that is more historically famous than Jesus? i cant. (inb4 beatles joke!)

Yes, I can. Just not in our culture.

Jesus will be pretty low on the list in Asia or India.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by roknoob1590
dont know any off the top of my head, but ive heard that before, in confirmation classes at my church,

Biased.

and even in college history classes, (taught by a muslim professor)

Still biased. Jesus is a prophet in Islam

King Arthur is pretty famous too, but that isn't any evidence that he ever really lived.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by roknoob1590

Everyone's heard of Santa Claus, so he must have existed.

EDIT: Fuck.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at May 18, 2010,
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Pretty sure the dude actually existed, I just don't think he was any more extraordinary than any other man.

This, if you replace "pretty sure" with "consider it a possibility that". I've heard there's a handful of reliable sources, and I've heard elsewhere that there isn't, and I really don't care enough to check.

Still, it'd be nice to know exactly what the fucker did to make people so obsessed with him. I like the idea that he was just a normal guy who was quite nice, and he just gradually became this incredibly famous, mythical figure by accident through exaggerated or misenterpreted stories.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 18, 2010,
Quote by whalepudding
This, if you replace "pretty sure" with "consider it a possibility that". I've heard there's a handful of reliable sources, and I've heard elsewhere that there isn't, and I really don't care enough to check.

Still, it'd be nice to know exactly what the fucker did to make people so obsessed with him.

-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at May 18, 2010,
Quote by StewieSwan

King Arthur is pretty famous too, but that isn't any evidence that he ever really lived.

historical evidence=/=stories
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Yes, I can. Just not in our culture.

Jesus will be pretty low on the list in Asia or India.

Well, it has been speculated that during the lost portion of the life of Jesus (between the time of his birth and the time of his prophethood), he spent a lot of time travelling eastward to India and Nepal or something to study under monks.

Bunch of info on this site: http://www.tombofjesus.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=61

If it's true at all, then I suppose there could be some respect for Jesus in those areas.
Quote by whalepudding

Still, it'd be nice to know exactly what the fucker did to make people so obsessed with him.

He put others before himself, he hugged prisoners, he forgave murderers, you could punch the dude in the nuts and he would go "Nah man, it's cool", many people wouldn't do that. They wouldn't die in place of someone that deserved it. Would you take the death sentence in place of a child rapist?

Exactly.
Quote by ihavenoname93
historical evidence=/=stories

Still waiting for any 'historical evidence'.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by jetfuel495
Well, it has been speculated that during the lost portion of the life of Jesus (between the time of his birth and the time of his prophethood), he spent a lot of time travelling eastward to India and Nepal or something to study under monks.

Bunch of info on this site: http://www.tombofjesus.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=61

If it's true at all, then I suppose there could be some respect for Jesus in those areas.

My point was that there are separate religious entities that are much more "historically" prevalent than Jesus in other parts of the world.

It's quite convenient that Jesus just disappeared for 35 years.

My own personal believe is that Jesus existed, and he had an experience with some sort of mushroom. Maybe the Amanita Muscaria, maybe a Psilocybe mushroom. It would explain everything.

I've read one theory that explained Moses and the Burning Bush; the particular area in which this event happened is inhabited by some species of plants that contains DMT.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at May 18, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I do not personally believe in God or Jesus. I really have no religion. I am not atheist. I am not Christian, Jewish, anything.

oh......WUT?!

You do not believe in a god and aren't an atheist? Doesn't the lack of a belief in a god define atheism?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
My point was that there are separate religious entities that are much more "historically" prevalent than Jesus in other parts of the world.

It's quite convenient that Jesus just disappeared for 35 years.

My own personal believe is that Jesus existed, and he had an experience with some sort of mushroom. Maybe the Amanita Muscaria, maybe a Psilocybe mushroom. It would explain everything.

I've read one theory that explained Moses and the Burning Bush; the particular area in which this event happened contains species of plants that contains DMT.

So... Jesus was stoned and that made other believe he was God incarnate?

Quote by GisleAune
oh......WUT?!

You do not believe in a god and aren't an atheist? Doesn't the lack of a belief in a god define atheism?

Quote by Wikipedia
Atheism is commonly described as the position that there are no deities

So yeah.
There isn't any proof of his existence. If you believe otherwise, you've been lied to.

However, I think his existence as a normal human Messiah figure, much like many other (false) Messiah figures back then, is probable.
The historical documents "proving" that Jesus existed have for a while now been considered fake.

Not one of the historians of the time mention Jesus anywhere in their records.

It's unlikely that figure existed, though not entirely impossible.

also many things attributed to Christ have existed in other mythos before Christianity gained any strength, including the "virgin birth" and the crucifixion. Perhaps it doesn't automatically disprove Jesus Christ's existence, but an interesting thing to note.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at May 18, 2010,
Quote by i_killed_bill
He put others before himself, he hugged prisoners, he forgave murderers, you could punch the dude in the nuts and he would go "Nah man, it's cool", many people wouldn't do that. They wouldn't die in place of someone that deserved it. Would you take the death sentence in place of a child rapist?

Exactly.

No, I don't think our judicial system works like that.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at May 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 4