I've been adjusting the intonation on my 7 string guitar recently and I can get all the strings properly set up except for the low B string. No matter how far back I bring the saddle, the fretted note is always sharper than the open string.

This is really starting to bug me because when I'm playing a song, the open 7th string sounds fine, but when I have to fret a note its noticeably sharp.

How do I fix this?
Are the strings new? Old strings can become really badly intonated and cannot be fixed no matter what you try.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
like said make sure the strings are fresh.

even if they are there's always a chance that , that string is bad.

if this has happened with all sets you put on there, then it would be helpful to know the bridge type.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Is it a FR style bridge? Several FR style bridges have two different holes that a sliding saddle can be screwed down to. If your guitar has a bridge like this, the saddle should be screwed down into the furthest hole back.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
how high is the action? High action screws with intonation.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Have you tried just measuring out what would be the technically ideal spot for intonating your strings and started from there? Also, are you sure that your tuner can accurately gauge the tuning of a low B string? Cheap tuners sometimes have trouble with an open E, much less anything below that.
Are you checking the intonation in the playing position or the guitar laying on its back?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Do you have your hand on the headstock while checking the open note? You shouldn't have your hand on the headstock while you're checking your tuning.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
The strings are relatively new, but I had this problem when I first put them on. The bridge is a standard Ibanez 7 string fixed bridge.

The action on my 7th string is actually pretty low, so that wouldn't be the problem. I get fret buzz all the time on that string, but it's not audible through the amp.

I'll try checking with a better tuner to see if that makes any change. The one I'm using now came in a starter pack.
Found this here: http://koivi.com/guitar-intonation.php

One other factor that has come up much more often in the last few years involves low tunings. Guitars and bass guitars are made to handle a range of string thicknesses. These string gauges can only produce a certain number of notes. Lower notes will not only loosen the string, but may require you to raise your action to prevent fret buzz. In doing so, you will also make your intonation sharper, possibly causing your bridge saddles to run out of adjustment room. If this is the case, you may (though it is not recommended) need to move your entire bridge away from the nut in order to gain the additional adjustment room required to set your intonation.

Before you consider moving the bridge, try a thicker gauge string
Quote by leephan
The strings are relatively new, but I had this problem when I first put them on. The bridge is a standard Ibanez 7 string fixed bridge.

The action on my 7th string is actually pretty low, so that wouldn't be the problem. I get fret buzz all the time on that string, but it's not audible through the amp.

I'll try checking with a better tuner to see if that makes any change. The one I'm using now came in a starter pack.

listen, i'm telling you.

i do set ups in the sticky all day long.

IF you were able to intonate all the other strings, then it's not action, intonation technique, a high fret, holding the guitar while intonating, or any of the other things suggested.

if the strings all intonate except one then...

hopefully the string is defective, and it's not a nut issue.

if it's Close to intonated and you just need to budge the saddle a slight bit back to get it in tune, then (if possible) flip the saddle so that the edge of the saddle is pointed to the ass end of the guitar.

if ever since you put on those strings, that string just can not be intonated, even after flipping the saddle, then change the set using the same gauge, swapping one string at a time, and post back if this is not helping.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 19, 2010,